C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded oil stink after an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Mine shows 1/2-qt. overfilled on the dipstick with six quarts installed. My dealer used six quarts for my first free oil change and I drained out 1/2 qt. the next day, which now shows just a tad over the full mark. In the future I'll use 5½ quarts for oil changes.

The manual says to use six quarts yet warns you of catastrophic engine destruction if you run it over the full mark, and I exaggerate only mildly. One of those two specs in the manual are wrong, and I suspect that using six quarts and showing ½-qt. overfill won't hurt anything. I would bet the crank isn't making contact with the oil in the sump at that point, and IMO that's the only danger of running a high oil level.
Once you start the motor the oil is suspended in the engine that 1/2 quart will cause no ill effect.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
this does not happen to every car, and is more often to happen in a 11 or 12. GM knows its the lube that is used on the rear main seal. The more lube used the more the smell when the oil is changed. Its not caused by spilled oil or over fill this odor is a result of a chemical reaction between the oil and the lube on the seal. Yes I use Mobil 1. and the oil changes have been done at a dealer so far. Time will tell what happens and I will update as I get new information.
Naah Its an LS3 issue my 2008 had the same smell issue that I now still have with my 2013.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Why do you only get the smell with new oil and not used oil? That makes zero sense.
None of this rear-seal, new-oil explanation makes any sense to me. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, as I've seen stranger phenomena than this in the realm of cars and motorcycles, but it's just really bizarre.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch2013C6
Once you start the motor the oil is suspended in the engine that 1/2 quart will cause no ill effect.
The spec to keep it at or below the full mark takes that into consideration, I'm sure, and they warn you in no uncertain terms not to overfill. All that said, I agree with you that there is likely no danger here. I'll still use 5½ qts. in the interest of caution, as it won't affect anything.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Our 2011 GS A6 auto did it a couple of times when it was still very new. Now, as the miles start to add up, we haven't had that happen anymore. We are at 44,000 miles now.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

None of this rear-seal, new-oil explanation makes any sense to me. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, as I've seen stranger phenomena than this in the realm of cars and motorcycles, but it's just really bizarre.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
mine is an 07 coupe with the A6 - I am the original owner and have never had the smell
X2

Seems odd that some cars do this and others don't when they are all made on the same assembly line with the same sealants and engine components. There doesen't seem to be a common link except for the oil change itself.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

There is a looooong post about this issue. I discovered that my 2012 GS A6 had that smell after I did my first oil change. When I checked, I was over full on the stick, following the owners manual. It says the Grand Sports hold 6 qts. Wrong. Unless you have the upgraded oil cooler, your car holds 5.5 qts. I had to drive the car a couple of days like that, had the smell, really pissed me off. Got a chance to put it back up on the ramps and pulled out .5 qt. smell went away.

I read all this stuff about assembly lube on the rear main seal, doesn't make any sense to me IMHO. Believe what you will, but try 1/2 qt less than what Daddy GM says and see if you have the problem. This s for the wet sump guys. Dry sump might be the same, but decide for yourself.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
X2

Seems odd that some cars do this and others don't when they are all made on the same assembly line with the same sealants and engine components. There doesen't seem to be a common link except for the oil change itself.
I should also add that I have never owned any vehicle that has had this oil smell problem
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

If was oil dripping on a hot surface it would burn off quickly. The oil smell people have been talking about lasts for weeks or months. In my case it lasted about six weeks and faded gradually during mostly city driving, but then resurfaced briefly after a 35-mile trip on the highway to the dealer last week. The tech, who is highly touted in the local Corvette community, said he thinks it is oil falling on the cat, and that they've had some complaints about it. He hadn't heard of the rear-seal idea, but agreed it would burn off quickly if it made contact with a hot exhaust component. Beyond that he didn't know, and apparently GM hasn't sent them any info about it since the service writer didn't have a clue either. Both thought the rear-seal idea was improbable.

Several weeks ago when I was smelling it at every stop after the engine was at operating temperature I stopped the car and sniffed around. I didn't make a show of it, as sniffing around a car would undoubtedly look weird. Indeed, I find this entire issue weird. I couldn't smell it at the rear of the car (exhaust) or in the engine compartment, but did inside the car when the vent was not set to recirculate. It must be getting in at the vent intake, but if it's in that area why can't I smell it under the hood?

Anyway, I haven't noticed it since that trip, so maybe it's gone for this oil change. BTW, I used the GM Dexos blend for this change (free from the dealer), so we can't pin it on Mobil 1, which I'll be switching to for the next oil change.

Mine's a base coupe (wet sump) and I have it.
I've been dealing with this exact situation on my car for a little while now (or at least I think it's what I'm smelling). I only really smell it after interstate drives. It's strong when I come to a stop and I can smell it when I get out of the car but a sniff test around the car can't pinpoint anything.

I change my own oil and the weird part is that mine didn't start smelling until the middle of an oil change; I think that throws the spilled oil excuse out the window on my car at least.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Mchapman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem after my first oil change (GS A6). The dealer did the change (free) and as soon as I got the car back the smell was very obvious mostly coming from the driver's side air vents. I read all the discussions on this blog regarding the problem and searched for a solution. The smell of burning oil has to be caused by oil contacting a hot surface but the smell did not seem to be going away after a number of weeks of driving the car. So I put the car on a lift at a friends garage and started looking. At first pass there did not seem to be any oil stain on the pan around the oil filter. However, when you got up close to the pan with a shop light a stain became fainlty visible on the pan. We ensured the filter was tight (it was) and then proceeded to clean the pan around the filter by just spraying it with brake cleaner. The stain cleared up and low and behold the smell went away.

Two important observations (IMO) the oil filter is surounded by nearly half its circumference by the pan - meaning there is virtually no way to change the oil filter without spilling oil on the pan. When oil contacts the pan (and assuming you wipe it off) it still leaves a stain (meaning residual oil) that is very difficult to actually see.

I do not know if M6's are different than the Auto's or the dry sumps. I do know it solved my problem.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mchapman; 06-05-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: The dreaded oil stink after an oil change