C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raleigh PD Laser testing on I440

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:40 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by berk4422
I have been told but not verified that RPD has a black Vette that they seized a while back. I heard, but cannot verify, they like to find reasons to romp on it.
The sheriff's department has had a black Z06 for 3-4 years. A drug dealer confiscation as I recall. I have seen it many times on I40.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:11 PM
gonzala
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
The sheriff's department has had a black Z06 for 3-4 years. A drug dealer confiscation as I recall. I have seen it many times on I40.
CaryBob is it an unmarked black Z06? I use I40 and 147 a bunch just curious. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzy12
No, laser scatter can be picked up. It is usually 18" or more from where the laser was pointed. Also, there is shear physics, that if they point it at a headlight on say a Vette, 18" above that is going to clear the fender and could be picked up by others detectors.

I run the 8500ci with the shifters, and have excellent success against LIDAR.

Also, your previous statements were a little odd, you said that the officer was on the overpass, but that there was no car: so did you actually see a cop, or is it possible you just got a false positive from your detector? This can happen occasionally from certain taillights etc.
I saw him in uniform aiming his laser gun, clear as day.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Originally Posted by gonzala
Thanks for the heads-up on LEO traps in the RDU area. Any more locals have data on where these LEO are would be helpful. Not that I intend to go over 65 but our cars get to 65 very easily...its the car's fault bc its too fast. JK . I stay within 10 mph most of the time. I have a Beltronics V8 works fine but won't beat the Lasers I bet...especially with newer and newer tech. coming out each couple of years.

Nice work Corvette Forum posters!!!
Inner beltline/440 1000 ft prior to the lake boon trail exit. Just as you cross under the Ready Creek pedestrian overpass around the bend where it goes 2 lanes to 3 lanes. RPD parks a white SUV (tahoe?) in the far left emergency lane to take readings and the chase crew is up ahead... Seen this spot a few times. 440, in general, is not a highway you want to speed on.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:13 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maligator

And just food for thought, and this is for the OP, the reason your detector acted goofy was probably him trying to get a reading and couldn't. His elevated position is not how you are suppose to use the LIDAR, you are suppose to be as parallel and level to the target you are trying to obtain.
Thank you, your total response was very good and helped me understand better - just don't go telling them how to "fix" their speed trap.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Originally Posted by gonzala
AWESOME DIALOGUE MR.LEO. THANKS FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE WITH THIS TOPIC!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank you, your total response was very good and helped me understand better - just don't go telling them how to "fix" their speed trap.
no prob! I like to use the analogy when I teach the newbs on it, think of throwing a tennis ball at a wall; you want to be as straight and level to the surface you are trying to hit, if you want the ball to come back to you. When you start elevating and increasing angles, thats when the smaller eye cant transmit, strike, and get received by the larger eye of the LIDAR unit.

Another funny aspect we argued the other day was this topic in particular. I believed that the beam width of the lidar, as it increased, would allow someone to "detect" the transmission (ie corvette driver getting the fuzz going wild). Another guy, much smarter than I proved otherwise. We used IR goggles to actually view the beam at night time as we transmitted..............I ended up owing him dry cleaning for a week...........the beam width doesnt vary until well past when the human eye can see. For me, I have no problem obtaining speeds on people in excess of 2000 feet away. Now really think about that and the distance. You would REALLY have to be on your A game to spot someone using LIDAR while moving, at that distance.

Then there was the truspeed unit that I tested out the other week, and that is what I call plain out cheating. Imagine looking through binoculars with the ability of laser............plain out crazy. Just when I thought 2000 feet was alot, I got a taste of 4000 feet. I could see people picking their nose and doing 90 mph before they even could think that I was ahead............
Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 PM
gonzala
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Inner beltline/440 1000 ft prior to the lake boon trail exit. Just as you cross under the Ready Creek pedestrian overpass around the bend where it goes 2 lanes to 3 lanes. RPD parks a white SUV (tahoe?) in the far left emergency lane to take readings and the chase crew is up ahead... Seen this spot a few times. 440, in general, is not a highway you want to speed on.
Thanks Berk4422. No. Really should not on 440. It seems very tight anyway most of the time has a lot of cars on it and its not too straight either.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Icetoad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They used to say if the majority of the population does not abide by a law then the law is null and void.... sometimes accepted in court as reason enough to dismiss. Its the people who are not paying attention or under the influence who cause accidents, proven all the time. Speed only determines the damage intensity and with the recent reports that anything over 35 usually means "devastating", whats the point other than to make money?

Yea, i stop when caught, but then i always finish the conversation with "Nice doing business with ya" and not once has anyone disagreed.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

They need more money again.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 AM
EGrunt66
Intermediate

I will give you guys some insight. I am a motor officer in California and in order for us (officers trained with radar/LIDAR) to use RADAR or LIDAR we are trained in visual speed estimation. In California the courts established that we can be within +/- 5 mphs in our visual speed estimation. I use LIDAR for speed enforcement. I use a custom signal pro 3 laser for enforcement. We first do a visual speed estimation then I activate my hand held laser to verify my visual speed calculation. I can issue a cite strictly on visual speed estimation.

One of the posters stated that LIDAR can not be used when pointed through a closed window or windshield and that is incorrect. I have used my LIDAR when driving a patrol car when my duty bike was getting service done and it works perfectly. LIDAR is target specific unlike RADAR that sends out a cone and the officer has to determine which vehicle is the fastest in the group.

Being a accident investigator as well the fastest perception and reaction by scientific study is 1 second (.5 second to perceive and .5 to react). What this breaks down to is that when your laser detector activates the officer using the LIDAR has already captured your speed before you can react. Many times I have already locked in a speed on my LIDAR and then I watch the vehicle brake aggressively.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by EGrunt66; 05-20-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastter
Seems like radar detectors are simply a warning to get your wallet out.
Mine lit up approx. 1:30 am Sunday on a backroad about two miles from the house after a very long day. A ticket would have ruined a great day.
Was not in the C6, jumped on brakes about the instant I saw the PD headlights top a hill, which was less than a second aftert the RD lit up.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by EGrunt66
I will give you guys some insight. I am a motor officer in California and in order for us (officers trained with radar/LIDAR) to use RADAR or LIDAR we are trained in visual speed estimation. In California the courts established that we can be within +/- 5 mphs in our visual speed estimation. I use LIDAR for speed enforcement. I use a custom signal pro 3 laser for enforcement. We first do a visual speed estimation then I activate my hand held laser to verify my visual speed calculation. I can issue a cite strictly on visual speed estimation.

One of the posters stated that LIDAR can not be used when pointed through a closed window or windshield and that is incorrect. I have used my LIDAR when driving a patrol car when my duty bike was getting service done and it works perfectly. LIDAR is target specific unlike RADAR that sends out a cone and the officer has to determine which vehicle is the fastest in the group.

Being a accident investigator as well the fastest perception and reaction by scientific study is 1 second (.5 second to perceive and .5 to react). What this breaks down to is that when your laser detector activates the officer using the LIDAR has already captured your speed before you can react. Many times I have already locked in a speed on my LIDAR and then I watch the vehicle brake aggressively.

Happy motoring.

And happy revenue gathering to you...
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Jefe's GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by EGrunt66
I am a motor officer
For those who don't know, this a popo on a moto.

For you old timers, a police officer on a motorcycle.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:58 PM
highping
Instructor

Don't mean to necro post but this is as close as I could get with what happened today...

Driving to 1 on 540 from Brier Creek just about to pass Falls of Neuse and I saw a popo standing on the upramp point what I believe was a laser with about six cop cars down the ramp. They were obviously tagging and bagging. My question is, is Raleigh now using laser technology that my 9500ix will not pick up because I was in front of everyone in the very left lane with a Torch Red GS. You can't tell me they would not of pointed that laser at me? The 9500ix remained silent...I was only doing 75 in a 70...

This could give me a reason to upgrade to the Max...
Old 06-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by highping
Don't mean to necro post but this is as close as I could get with what happened today...

Driving to 1 on 540 from Brier Creek just about to pass Falls of Neuse and I saw a popo standing on the upramp point what I believe was a laser with about six cop cars down the ramp. They were obviously tagging and bagging. My question is, is Raleigh now using laser technology that my 9500ix will not pick up because I was in front of everyone in the very left lane with a Torch Red GS. You can't tell me they would not of pointed that laser at me? The 9500ix remained silent...I was only doing 75 in a 70...

This could give me a reason to upgrade to the Max...
Remember the beam width is approximately 3x3, so if they didn't hit you with it, your detector won't go off. And if used properly, you only use speed detection equipment to verify visual observation that someone is speeding. So 75 mph on the interstate won't generally get my attention to use the laser. Remember human reaction time as well, bye the time your detector goes off its too late.

Get notified of new replies

To Raleigh PD Laser testing on I440

Old 06-15-2014, 12:44 AM
berk4422
Drifting

My guess is poor aim???

Another speed trap - 440 outer exiting Hammond. NCHP usually sits in the middle median facing north.

Last month I exited and turned right (south) on Hammond and in about 5 seconds, my laser warning went nuts. I was doing 44 in a 45 so no worries on my end. RPD was standing 20 feet away from his car, at the first right turn (undeveloped cul-de-sac) about 1320 feet south of the exit onto Hammond.

Interesting enough, I think the officer had trouble getting a reading because I was the only car around and he was aimed at me for a good 10 seconds. The 9500IX would not shut-up. My guess is (and I would appreciated being corrected) that laser readings require some skill to get focused on a reflective surface, on a Corvette, that actually gives a reading? And if so, a driver has some moments in that time to adjust speed?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

My guess is (and I would appreciated being corrected) that laser readings require some skill to get focused on a reflective surface, on a Corvette, that actually gives a reading? And if so, a driver has some moments in that time to adjust speed?
Not really, ive never had a problem getting a speed on a vet. Funny enough, I always hit vets with laser because I just want to giggle at how slow they normally are going. In 14 years ive stopped one corvette (my threshold is 30 over) and even at that, the guys story was so awesome the only thing he got from me was a handshake.

Anyway, back to your question: if the heads up targeting display is crooked then you might see someone taking forever to get a reading. BUT, if they are doing as trained, they are doing certain accuracy checks prior to using the laser to ensure this isnt the case..............The display is fairly easy to mess up, one drop the laser onto the floor can mess it up.............So technically yes, if the beam wasn't striking a flat surface bc the targeting retical was off, your detector would give you enough time to slow down before he/she got a reading.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:37 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maligator
the guys story was so awesome the only thing he got from me was a handshake.

and his story was ....

Quick Reply: Raleigh PD Laser testing on I440