C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really!? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JLB768
Back about three years ago, two guys around here decided to street race. Two lane highway, went over a hill at 80+, and hit a man coming home from work on his motorcycle head on. Killed him instantly, and the girlfriend of one of the racers died when he went off the highway, and rolled the car. Other driver split the scene. Not worth it, anything can happen, and happen too fast to react. One family lost a husband, and dad, just coming home from work, the other lost a daughter, for what? Because two guys had to prove how fast their cars were? Pathetic.
Would you like to know how many innocent people die due to drunk driving? How about a tired guy driving a car full of people, falling asleep behind the wheel and rolling their car over into a ditch and killing the entire family? How about the bunches of innocent people dying do to gun violence each day?

What where all these people trying to prove? These are the kind of posts that **** me off. Racing doesnt kill people, Idiots who have absolutely no common sense do.

Last edited by bladex10; 05-20-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 AM
TRZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look, I have mostly grey hair, what's left of it that is. I know what the car can do, and they probably do as well. Why give them the satisfaction of having you having to prove it to them? Definitely no reason to take dangerous and unnecessary risks either. And for those that want to show them what they've got, there are times and places for that. One of the things I've always appreciated about most vette drivers, they are way too classy to flaunt their performance in stupid ways.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 AM
New Corvette Guy
Racer

Originally Posted by bladex10
Would you like to know how many innocent people die due to drunk driving? How about a tired guy driving a car full of people, falling asleep behind the wheel and rolling their car over into a ditch and killing the entire family? How about the bunches of innocent people dying do to gun violence each day?

What where all these people trying to prove? These are the kind of posts that **** me off. Racing doesnt kill people, Idiots who have absolutely no common sense do.
It's NOT gun violence, it's people violence. Typical to slip the anti-gun messege into the mix. Speaking of NO common sense.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
You were young once, right?

Yeah,but instead of buzz bomb coffee can mufflers we had these...

Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 AM
New Corvette Guy
Racer

Originally Posted by Don-Vette

Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

IBTL
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I must admit I have done my fair share of "activity" on the streets in my days, but the Vette has cured most of the desire. What would be the point ? Some "tuned" crap box with a fart can on the back ? Not a chance. Grow four more cylinders and then come talk to me. Yes, I know there are some fast little cars out there, but most of them are like the old guy in the Vette.......all show, no go. I will say I might be tempted if something intresting came along, maybe something that ends in a vowel ?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I don't know why you enjoy teaching some 16 year old a lesson because there's not much glory in that. I don't claim to be a Saint but street racing is illegal and dangerous. Be the mature one and ignore the kid challenging you. Also, be aware there are a lot of 'rice burners' that'll blow the doors off your Good ole American Muscle. Never underestimate the competition....over-confidence can be a fatal. IMO the so-called ricers contribute much to the automotive community and we all share a common interest....they're 'car guys' like we are.

Just like with Corvettes there are different levels of modifications from high-dollar tuner imports to the local high school kid doing the best he can with what he has to work with. Maybe that "annoying whiny muffler" was the only thing he could afford. Give him credit for that....he's trying and we all have to start somewhere. As for anyone challenging a Corvette to a street race, I suggest you take it as a compliment and let it go. Get your speed fix at a drag strip or on a road course. As for why young kids do it....I remember being a teenager.

I guess I'm still a teenager at-heart. No street racing but I'm an avid road (course) racer.
Said very well!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:40 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I've been challanged a few times on the interstate I usually ignore them. Some have turbos and slicks if i'm not at speed limit and no traffic I just give it burst of speed till speed limit and thats it for me no racing on street love to watch the idiot run past at umteen mile an hour I know where the cops sit.
z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 05-20-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette

Hey they still make those had a pair on my dads 59 bonneville 389 3 carbs love that old car.
z51vett
Doug
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 AM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10

Racing on a public highway does kill people, and if you believe otherwise, you are an idiot. The guy on the motorcycle, and the teen girl, died as a direct result of two morons illegally racing on a public highway. I hope that killing two people, sitting in prison, and the civil lawsuits were worth proving how fast their cars were.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Racing on a public highway does kill people, and if you believe otherwise, you are an idiot. The guy on the motorcycle, and the teen girl, died as a direct result of two morons illegally racing on a public highway. I hope that killing two people, sitting in prison, and the civil lawsuits were worth proving how fast their cars were.
WELL SAID !!!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

2 glass packs+'48 Ford convertible+2 echo cans under the rear bumper=Heaven in the '50s. Add a 3/4 race cam and you were king of the hill.

Last edited by mickey5; 05-20-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
WELL SAID !!!!!
Facts are facts, you can slice them any way you want, but it doesn't change them. I am in no way perfect, I've taken the bait before, but over 20 years ago. When I had my first child at 22, I saw the world a little different, when my wife and daughter headed off in the car, I worried about them. Of course with age(44 now), I realize one stupid decision can cost me my life, someone else' life, my home, etc. Personally, I couldn't live with myself if I killed someone doing something so irresponsible. And I wouldn't want to put my family thru all that would be involved with killing someone, because I felt the need to prove I drive a fast car. The fact is, when you race illegally on a public road, you can kill someone. You could have a mechanical failure, someone could pull out in front of you, you could lose control, the guy you're racing could have all of the same happen. I know my car is fast, and the guy wanting to race me knows it's fast, so what's the point?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I know some little 4-bangers that are pretty wild rides. I wouldnt mess with them. However, they are not my cup of tea but the hobby is the hobby. There are different ways to skin a cat.

Originally Posted by Red08
I always think they sound like a little outboard motor.
Like an NPP exhaust?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To be honest here, every one of us has seen someone do something very foolish when driving, every day it seems. Whether it's talking on the phone and not paying attention or just driving like an idiot(even at slow speeds). It all boils down to someone putting other poeple at risk. Usually for a stupid reason. I'll wager most of us have done that before. I usually won't acknowledge someone who want's to run 'em. I do enjoy a little acceleration from time to time, though.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM
vetteguy4
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 2 Posts

Awhile back I was returning from an event and I noticed a new BMW M6 getting on the freeway. He pulled alongside of me and revved the engine, dumped a gear and got on it a few times. I would not bite, so he again got on it and left two black marks on the freeway. Well, CHP was entering the freeway and saw the BMer,s antics; on go the overheads and about a mile up the road, there is the BMer pulled over by CHP.
Apparently a BMW M6 cannot outrun a Ford Crown Vic.

Get notified of new replies

To Really!? Why?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:24 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Tell you what, If racing kills people as often as you say it does, Feel free to link me to a couple recent articles. Not stories you've heard 5 years ago.

2 innocent people just recently lost their lives when their BMW caught fire on the highway right up the road from me. All they where doing was driving a car make by BMW and doing nothing wrong.

Yes you put an idiot with no common sense behind the wheel of a car, They will do some damage, Just like the idiot with a gun that could shoot and kill a person, Just like the motorcylist who lacks common sense while doing a wheelie at 80 MPH. Just like the racers who race on a crowded traffic filled highway. Guaranteed those are the ones youre reading about.

FACT.. Youre more likely to get in an accident from texting and driving than racing. I see 10+ people doing it on my way to work every single time.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by New Corvette Guy
It's NOT gun violence, it's people violence. Typical to slip the anti-gun messege into the mix. Speaking of NO common sense.
Funny you say that. Im about to head out to the range and kill me some paper humans.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy4
Apparently a BMW M6 cannot outrun a Ford Crown Vic.
He knows he can't outrun the radio and he doesn't like stop sticks through his tires.

Quick Reply: Really!? Why?