C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin vs Firestone

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Johnny_B_Good
You may find someone willing to repair a Firestone RFT. But you may want to see the Firestone link below regarding the repair of their RFT. (about 3/4 ways down once you open the link) Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just showing you their policy regarding their RFT.

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare...qs-about-tires
Yup. "RFT tires are not repairable in any of the following situations:

If the tire is described as, “Do Not Repair” on the sidewall.
"

I guess if one believes that lawyers are running the company or wrote the policy on tires, then ignore the above from Firestone's FAQ section. After all, it's only their tires, on our cars.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Both are excellent tires. The do not repair warning is legal b/s. It pertains to punctures outside set points of the tread. Same as any other radial tire. Went with the Michelins this past time because of the higher wear rating and I do travel up north in the winter.
I agree that the warning is legal b/s, but it does NOT pertain to the location of the puncture:

I phoned Firestone.
I waited on the phone while their rep researched the issue.
I listened while the rep said that their C6 runflats are not to be repaired under any circumstances.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

They are both good tires. At the end of the day, is one really better than the other...it comes down to what you are looking for in a tire. For sure, they are better than the OEM goodyears.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:46 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I wouldn't want a tire on my car that was repaired but says DO NOT REPAIR on the sidewall. You as the owner can be held responsible if your passenger is injured. And you don't want that expense. It doesn't matter if someone thinks it is BS or not, an injury lawyer would have your butt on a platter. Even a $500k policy might not be enough.

I have owned the A/S ZP on my 08. Good tire if you are interested in cruising at say below .85g, good in the 30-60 degree range but lose their effectiveness outside that range. Super Sports are even better in dry cold weather. Gas mileage actually dropped with my A/S ZPs, around 10%.

I wouldn't buy the Firestones because of the DO NOT REPAIR statement, especially if you travel out west where tire dealers are far and few.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
I have always had good luck with Michelin.
Me too....

Being new to the Corvette world and noticing that the OEM "tires" were pretty awful, I put a set of used Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus ZP run flats on my '09. Figured I would get through the summer with them and learn what they were like before I'd make my next move. Not sure how many miles are on them, but I love them! My choice for next time is the same as the OP's is right now. My money (and we all know it's a lot of $$) would be on Michelin if it were close in price. Haven't tried the Firestones but have had a world of great driving w/Michelins over the years on other cars.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Just had my passenger rear FireHawk repaired a week ago. No problem from the Firestone store here and didn't pay a dime, since I have road hazzard on them. The nail was in the center of the tread and the repair was done the correct way with the patch on the inside. Again, some stores may choose not to do repair, but mine did.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:36 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I agree that the warning is legal b/s, but it does NOT pertain to the location of the puncture:

I phoned Firestone.
I waited on the phone while their rep researched the issue.
I listened while the rep said that their C6 runflats are not to be repaired under any circumstances.
Heh ........... Call is recorded .................... I wouldn't expect the rep to say anything but !
Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by GotVett?
Just had my passenger rear FireHawk repaired a week ago. No problem from the Firestone store here and didn't pay a dime, since I have road hazzard on them. The nail was in the center of the tread and the repair was done the correct way with the patch on the inside. Again, some stores may choose not to do repair, but mine did.

Hey ................. I want that nail back. Can't finish the new deck with out it.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:46 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Hey ................. I want that nail back. Can't finish the new deck with out it.
Mikey, (ha) . . . you'd want a new one anyway goin into your new, good lookin deck. But I do want to know where this sucker came from so that I don't go that way again.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by GotVett?
Mikey, (ha) . . . you'd want a new one anyway goin into your new, good lookin deck. But I do want to know where this sucker came from so that I don't go that way again.
Living in farm country on a gravel road with two creek crossings that still have wood planks is interesting. We have all kinds of barbed wire clips, fencing nails, etc fall off the farm tractors and pick ups that leave their drop gates open. On top of all that, now that some of the big ranches around here are being sold off in 4/5 acre tracts for homes, we now have sheet rock screws, deck nails, lord know what else ending up on our roads.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_B_Good
You may find someone willing to repair a Firestone RFT. But you may want to see the Firestone link below regarding the repair of their RFT. (about 3/4 ways down once you open the link) Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just showing you their policy regarding their RFT.

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare...qs-about-tires
It isn't a blanket no repair statement. It depends. Just so they don't have to link to the statement:
What Is the Repairable Area of an RFT (Run Flat) Tire?

No tire, regardless of its design or quality, is indestructible. RFT tires can be ultimately rendered unusable due to a puncture or other road hazard as well as from improper run-flat or low pressure operation. Some punctures may be repaired under certain circumstances, with restrictions and subject to prescribed procedures.
When driven flat or with low pressure, factors affecting reparability include vehicle speed, load, handling and maneuvering; the amount of inflation pressure lost; and ambient temperature. In any situation, the extent and location of direct damage from a puncturing object or other road hazard are also critical factors.

RFT tires are not repairable in any of the following situations:
  • If the tire is described as, “Do Not Repair” on the sidewall.
  • If the tire was operated with inflation pressure less than 15 psi (100 kPa).
  • Abrasion or other damage is present on the exterior tread, sidewall or bead areas.
  • Abrasion, wrinkling, or separation is present on the tire interior.
  • Any condition or damage is present that disqualifies repair of a conventional tire.
Run-Flat Certified Retailers will fully inspect your tire, inside and out, to determine if the tire can be repaired. Tire damage is not always visible from the outside and the tire must be removed from the wheel for a complete inspection.
Note: Some vehicle manufacturers recommend not using repaired tires. Such recommendations apply to RFT tires. Use of RFT tires deemed non-repairable may result in damage to the vehicle, injury, or death. Consult your vehicle owner’s manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer before operating a repaired tire on your vehicle.

I had the Firestone SZ50 Run Flats on my 97 and I never saw a Don't Repair marking on the sidewall. The Wide Ovals I had on my C5Z were non run flats and didn't have that marking. Has anybody actually seen the marking on the run flat Wide Oval?

As far as operating with less than 15 psi I think the Michelin would be a better choice since Michelin meets GM's requirement that the tire can be driven 50 miles at 55 mph and zero pressure and still be repaired.

Bill
Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Has anybody actually seen the marking on the run flat Wide Oval?

Bill
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...als-rft-2.html

post # 23
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firestone got into very hot water legally with the whole Ford Explorer thing, right? That Ford was underinflating them and then the vehicles overturned? They almost went belly up over that whole deal as I remember. No wonder they put a warning on their tires.

The Firestone dealer near me will follow that rule, that's for sure. Though I imagine if I bought the road hazard protection they would do me the favor of trying to repair if they thought it was "safe".

That being said, I would still consider the tire. That label wouldn't be a deal breaker for me...
Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
Clearly states not to repair if driven with zero pressure at speeds greater than 55 mph or more than xx. There is a link to another picture in another thread that shows the complete terminology. It may meet the GM requirements but it isn't clear since it says do not repair after run flat operation. That wouldn't apply if you had a slow leak or kept the pressure above 15 psi by stopping every so often and adding air.

I copied the picture and tried to blow it up so it could be read.

I have seen the inside of a GY EMT after it was driven more than 50 miles at more than 55 mph and could definitely tell the tire was damaged. There was a wide stripe all around both sidewalls and it didn't look good.

Bill
Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I just ordered me a set of Michelin A/S today based on the good reviews they receive here.

I debated going A/S or not but in the end I enjoy driving as long as I can in the season and at times that means it's in the 20's or 30's. Last fall I felt like I couldn't even enjoy driving the vette in the late fall because the rear end broke loose so easy. I'm still on the original F1's with 25k on them.

Discount Tire matched a price I found online so out the door was just over $1300. Add in the $70 rebate that's going on right now and that's a pretty good deal on a set of tires.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

As far as operating with less than 15 psi I think the Michelin would be a better choice since Michelin meets GM's requirement that the tire can be driven 50 miles at 55 mph and zero pressure and still be repaired.

Bill
Actually, the Owner Manual in the C5 said 50 miles without damage, 200 miles if you are willing to ruin the tire.

The 2005 C6 Manual said 25 miles without damage, 100 miles if you are willing to ruin the tire.
Some time around 2011 the manual was changed to something like "keep the distance as short as possible for best chance of being able to repair, try not to exceed 65 miles."
That's not an exact quote, but you get the idea.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:51 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
They are both good tires. At the end of the day, is one really better than the other...it comes down to what you are looking for in a tire. For sure, they are better than the OEM goodyears.

I am on my 4th set of Firestones, over all they are a great tire at a good price. I do like the water channels in the wide oval's. I have not tride the Michelins yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin vs Firestone

Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It isn't a blanket no repair statement. It depends. Just so they don't have to link to the statement:
What Is the Repairable Area of an RFT (Run Flat) Tire?

No tire, regardless of its design or quality, is indestructible. RFT tires can be ultimately rendered unusable due to a puncture or other road hazard as well as from improper run-flat or low pressure operation. Some punctures may be repaired under certain circumstances, with restrictions and subject to prescribed procedures.
When driven flat or with low pressure, factors affecting reparability include vehicle speed, load, handling and maneuvering; the amount of inflation pressure lost; and ambient temperature. In any situation, the extent and location of direct damage from a puncturing object or other road hazard are also critical factors.

RFT tires are not repairable in any of the following situations:
  • If the tire is described as, “Do Not Repair” on the sidewall.
  • If the tire was operated with inflation pressure less than 15 psi (100 kPa).
  • Abrasion or other damage is present on the exterior tread, sidewall or bead areas.
  • Abrasion, wrinkling, or separation is present on the tire interior.
  • Any condition or damage is present that disqualifies repair of a conventional tire.
Run-Flat Certified Retailers will fully inspect your tire, inside and out, to determine if the tire can be repaired. Tire damage is not always visible from the outside and the tire must be removed from the wheel for a complete inspection.
Note: Some vehicle manufacturers recommend not using repaired tires. Such recommendations apply to RFT tires. Use of RFT tires deemed non-repairable may result in damage to the vehicle, injury, or death. Consult your vehicle owner’s manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer before operating a repaired tire on your vehicle.

I had the Firestone SZ50 Run Flats on my 97 and I never saw a Don't Repair marking on the sidewall. The Wide Ovals I had on my C5Z were non run flats and didn't have that marking. Has anybody actually seen the marking on the run flat Wide Oval?

Bill
See link below for the Do not repair marking.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...als-rft-2.html
Old 05-18-2013, 10:08 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by VERTBLK
Not the case. I had a nail in mine and the firestone store repaired it.
Ditto !!!!! and I found the Stones Grip Better.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Actually, the Owner Manual in the C5 said 50 miles without damage, 200 miles if you are willing to ruin the tire.

The 2005 C6 Manual said 25 miles without damage, 100 miles if you are willing to ruin the tire.
Some time around 2011 the manual was changed to something like "keep the distance as short as possible for best chance of being able to repair, try not to exceed 65 miles."
That's not an exact quote, but you get the idea.
If you are willing to ruin the tire, you can run it until it literally falls off the wheel in pieces...LOL

Quick Reply: Michelin vs Firestone