C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 08 base seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Peter_Reinhard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with 08 base seats

Hello
I love my new-to-me 08 Z51 M6, 39 K miles. I added the MGW shifter. While driving the other day on a warm day here in the NE, I realized how hot the interior got after a few hours; especially the tunnel area. So I've ordered the insul kit from a forum vendor.

Since I'm going to be removing my seats, any recommendations on upgrades to the base 1LT seating?

I have noticed that my seat gets very hot but it doesn't seem from heat from the floor, but just poor ventilation. Not sure. Is it a poor quality leather?

I also notice that the lower back support seems lacking.

How does the 1LT seat compare to the 2LT/3LT? Is it night and day, or what?

Any aftermarket recommendations? I've seen some replacement seats that seem way overpriced to me so I'm not sure it is worth it over the base seat. Its not THAT bad compared to other cars.

Is there a seat cover that can add lumbar support?

Anyway, any advice is appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Pete
Old 05-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Brockman66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know from experience, but I've heard that the '12+ seats are a nice upgrade. Plus, you don't have to worry about buying the adapter or whatever it's called for the airbags.

I'm looking at buying some '12+ seats myself. Just haven't come across an all black pair yet.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I have an 08 base, 55,000 miles and I have no seat issues. For me, plenty of support. It can get a litle warm inside but that will be with any seats just because you sit low in a hole in a vette. I put the air condition on when it gets warm. Good luck, enjoy the 08' base. I have had no problems.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

There are some good threads about seat upgrades. All being said and done, I am satisfied with the factory GM upgrade.

That being said, there are some aftermarket places that use better quality materials, and give you options to use more leather up to it all being leather. But my interior guy said that it is all a matter of how you treat the seats and maintain them. The highest quality seats with the best materials can still be ruined if you are careless.

There was a thread for the do-it-yourselfer with a step by step pictorial. Me, I know my limitation and it was worth every penny to have a professional do them for $500.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm not sure if you're asking to stay w., or change the seats. I have read the newer seats sometimes feel better, but finding them isn't easy. There are "rebuild" kits for the foam, underseat mat, etc., but it's only for the seat portion, not the backrest. There is also at least one other, non-CF vendor who makes good leather seat covers in Oklahoma named leatherseats; I'm sure it's not inexpensive tho.

I think the poster above and others have said a similar thing, namely, a good, local shop can sometimes do wonders for increasing the seat's capabilities. It may not be able to make up for heat in the area, but comfort and holding you in place may increase. I'd search out custom upholsters in your area and talk with hot rod/restoration clubs re who does good work, for a reasonable sum.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Peter_Reinhard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your replies.
the http://www.leatherseats.com/
site looks interesting.
I did read some long posts about 1LT vs 2LT and more. It all sounds subjective. Some guys like 1LT, others do not. I need a lumbar fix for my back so it sounds like making a mod to the seat would make more sense. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 08 base seats

Quick Reply: Help with 08 base seats