C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFT Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFT Tires

I have about decided to get these because they are run flats and are a decent price and have heard good things about them. Anyone have any and have have anything bad to say about them?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Firestone Wide Oval

Had 'em on our '96 LT4. Ran 'em on the Tail of the Dragon in the rain-no problem--love the tires!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Put them on my base 08 Vert when I had it ! they are excellent tires.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 AM
CHUXDRM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had them on my C5 and loved them. They were quiet, smooth, and wore well. I'm about to pull the trigger and put them on my C6. I knew when I put it to bed for the winter that I would need new tires come spring. So I've watched "tire threads" all winter, and these Firehawk WO RFT's get a lot of favorable reviews.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have them on my car nice tires. Just don't like the noise coming from them, depending on the pavement but thats run flats.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Put them on my base 08 Vert when I had it ! they are excellent tires.
I put them on my wifes 07 vert 4 years ago and they still look like new
Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

have them on now, not bad for run flats. Typical road noise and tire jump at low speeds with wheel turned all the way, but that's normal. I say go for it for the price!!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I have always heard that they are a good tire, especially for the price. The only reason that I would not buy them is because they say, on the side of the tire "DO NOT REPAIR TIRE". Firestone's corporate policy is that this tire, in Corvette sizes should not be repaired if punctured. Since all other runflat tires can be repaired, this would be a dealbreaker for me.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cclive
I have always heard that they are a good tire, especially for the price. The only reason that I would not buy them is because they say, on the side of the tire "DO NOT REPAIR TIRE". Firestone's corporate policy is that this tire, in Corvette sizes should not be repaired if punctured. Since all other runflat tires can be repaired, this would be a dealbreaker for me.
That means that Firestone stores won't repair them, right? The closest place to me is a Firestone store and they won't repair any tire, also won't mount used tires... They have gone back and forth to snows on my wife's daily, though.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Any shop that repairs a Firestone C6 runflat is going against the tire-makers instructions, so there could be a big liability problem some day.

In the real world, some shops will fix them and some won't, I don't recall anyone actually asking a shop why they disregarded the writing on the sidewall. Probably, no one read the warning. Talk about fine print....

Since we drive long distances in desolate places, I wouldn't choose the Firestones or a non-runflat. But for people who otherwise like the 'stones, and wouldn't be overly inconvenienced by having to replace a tire instead of patching it, they can be a reasonable choice. My impression, from this forum and the experience of people in our club, is that about 50% of punctures will be unrepairable anyway because of the location, shape, or size; of the puncture.

I'm told that Firestone sells a road hazard warranty at a reasonable price, but they have the usual pro-rating problems.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:29 PM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Boy, I thought I had made up my mind. But not so sure anymore.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was always under the impression that no manufacturer recommends repairing a corvettes run flat tire?? Are you saying michelin, Goodyear and the rest say it's ok to repair their tires with plugs or patches and firestone doesn't?? For liability reasons, and for making more money, i would think they would all say "don't repair, buy a new tire" .....
Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I put them on my 2009 C6 Coupe and loved them.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by vig1116
I was always under the impression that no manufacturer recommends repairing a corvettes run flat tire?? Are you saying michelin, Goodyear and the rest say it's ok to repair their tires with plugs or patches and firestone doesn't?? For liability reasons, and for making more money, i would think they would all say "don't repair, buy a new tire" .....
Someone said that Bridgestone also has a "no repair" policy, but I haven't checked that out.
Lawyers gone wild.

Last time I looked, Goodyear published a guide for inspecting and repairing their runflats. IIRC, you were allowed one patch and the tire retained its speed rating, a second patch was permitted but the speed rating was gone.

I believe Michelin only allows one patch, not sure about that.

The only acceptable patch, runflat or not, is a "mushroom" patch applied from the inside.

Asking your local tire store about the manufacturer repair policy often produces incorrect answers.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Take this for what it is worth but.............I had them on my 2005 and they were awesome tires! Tracked them and they performed as good as the goodyears. About a year into having them I got a nail in my passenger front. Took it in to firestone and they patched it with no question. Now of course the nail was in the center of the tire and away from the sidewall. Drove it trouble free for another year before trading it in on my now Z06. For the price and performance, it is the best out there. If they made the tire in the Z06 size, I would have already had them on there!! In a heartbeat!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Put them on my '08 and have 23k miles on them so far. Last weekend I had the wheels off for polishing and checked the tread depths. Came with 10/32 tread when new. Now at 6/32. Wear is consistent across the tire and with all tires wearing the same. My only gripe is the traction seems to be lacking when compared to the super cars.

Last edited by dpigguy; 05-09-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Fat fingers and little keys
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by vig1116
I talked to Michelin before I bought my A/S + tires and they said one repair is OK if done to their specs. I didn't want to ever be out in the middle of nowhere and have the only tire place say they couldn't fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFT Tires

Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Only have 7K on them on my 06 Vert but they stick very well and are quiet in all conditions. Not worried about any repairs as I will repair (plug a nail hole) in them myself with a Genuine Innovations repair kit. I also would not think of holding FS to their warranty after I've repaired one of them. Good tires at a good price.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
Only have 7K on them on my 06 Vert but they stick very well and are quiet in all conditions. Not worried about any repairs as I will repair (plug a nail hole) in them myself with a Genuine Innovations repair kit. I also would not think of holding FS to their warranty after I've repaired one of them. Good tires at a good price.
I don't see how warranty is an issue at all as it relates to repairs, as the warranty doesn't cover punctures. If you don't repair and replace them you're out the cost of the tire anyway. If you repair it the warranty is possibly gone but you can still use the tire, so this way you're ahead.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I was more referring to their speed rating being gone after a repair. I've heard that even with an approved repair by an authorized facility, the manufacturer won't guarantee the tire's speed rating. I'm ok with that is all I meant.

Quick Reply: Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFT Tires