C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving in heavy rain with Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Thndr
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got 700 rwhp and I have no issues driving on the stock tires in the rain....
Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 PM
C6York
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires..

Yes to those who mentioned my Camaro was much heavier and slower..

But the Car was bought used from the dealer..certified..on year old..tires look almost new...I lowered the air pressure to 30 with nitrogen today..

I am going to check on the alignment as a thought..

I will switch to another brand...but stay with runflats.

This was a serious rain and if any of you have ever driven in PA our roads suck...big time...

Thanks for all the comments...Yes I drive this car often...I have a work F150 I drive each day with a GPS unit...so when I can I am in the car and enjoying it...took me 58 years to fill one of my last bucket items..

Bill
Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

GS on OEM tires in anything above light rain is bad. I lived in Germany for 8 years so I'm used to driving in the rain. No problem with the Super sports though.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by rwillitt
Lots of heavy rain in Florida, no problems with my 2007 coupe since I got rid of the GY's and switched to PS2 run flats. The GY's had about 15,000 miles on them and were terrible when it was wet.
No problems here in Florida for me either. We got close to 12 inches of rain in a couple days recently, and I have about 15k on my Bridgestone Potenza RFs, and I rode 70 mph+ with water running on the road, and zero issues of hydroplaning.

I played in the no traffic areas on the interstate first, and the vette actually handled better than my 2007 Caddy DTS on wet roads, especially in the curves.

NOW, with the original Goodyear RFs, a complete different story, even with 50% tread life on the tires. They scared me enough to replace the tires before they were worn out, on my 2008 C6 base couple.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:12 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

As wide as these tires are I would recommend not driving over 60 on the interstate in the rain. These cars have smooth undersides, so there is not any place for water to go if you hit a large puddle.

Expirenced wide tire drivers will slow way down in rain.....if not, you will eventually have an expirence that will slow you down in the rain
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

The Goodyears on my GS were downright dangerous. I now have Bridgestones and stick like glue in the rain no more hydroplaning and are much quieter and smoother.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by JKbride
As wide as these tires are I would recommend not driving over 60 on the interstate in the rain. These cars have smooth undersides, so there is not any place for water to go if you hit a large puddle.

Expirenced wide tire drivers will slow way down in rain.....if not, you will eventually have an expirence that will slow you down in the rain
What he said, just common sense.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by bigswiss89
the GY's were awful in even the slightest wet conditions, but i've switched the michelins and they are sooo much better.

even the C7s are coming out with the michelin run flats now instead of the GYs
I agree with the above. I had stock goodyear tires when I first purchased my convertible and had to start braking very early in even light rain when approaching an intersection or stop street. Switched to the Michelin all season tires and it's like driving any "regular" car as far as braking even at higher speeds in a downpour.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM
SubjectAlpha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest problem in super heavy rain is not being able to see where I'm going. I don't think different tires would help.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
No problems here. Don't forget you lost 800 pounds from the Camaro.
Base Vette is only 600 lbs less than the SS Camaro.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Back in 2008 I got caught in Tropical storm Hannah and had to drive from southern Maine to SE Pa in the worst freaking rain I've ever driven. Plus, I had to cross the Tappan Zee bridge with the crappy roads and ponding all over the place and all the NY traffic...plus it was dark by then as well. I was worried about hydralocking my engine and with the wide runflats I had to slow down to 50 mph while the large trucks didn't. Those guys are high and spewing water all over and I was worried they'd run over me.
If I sped up to 55 I'd hydraplane... It was the worst drive ( and I've driven thru blizzards and ice storms) of my life. When we got home my poor wife who chewed her nails oof asked me "How did I do it?" I told her I had to and poured us each a tall Jack! However, that's why when we moved down here to SW Fla that I got Nitto INVO's just because they're way better in the rain. Those RF's sucked.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Thndr
Ive got 700 rwhp and I have no issues driving on the stock tires in the rain....
probably because you know what you're doing.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM
trading tiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6York
Yesterday ended up a white knuckle day while driving my 2012 C6...Runflats might be great for no spare but is it only them that have a serious issue in heavy rain?...I traded my 2010 Camaro for this baby and she never had the issues like I had yesterday?>

Did find out that I was between 33 and 34 psi cold...lowered them to 30 as door car suggests...any comments?
That's not an apples to apples comparison. Your camaro had tires that were about half as wide as my GS tires. The bigger the footprint of the tire, the more likely you are to hydroplane.

I drove from Greenville to Charleston and back two weekends ago. One way, the trip is about 220 miles and usually takes me about 3 hours. On the way down there, there were a couple spots of light rain, but mostly cloudy and dry. I made the trip just like normal in about 3 hours. On the way back however, it rained heavily the entire time. I had my first scare after just about 20 minutes on the road. I decided to slow down from 65 mph to 55. At 55 mph, there were no real problems. Maybe once or twice got squirrely, but nothing like that first experience. The trip took me almost 5 hours, but I did stop a couple times to let the rain die down some.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

It rained cats and dogs here all but about 3 days in april, and I drove right through it no problem with the PS2s. With the GY supercars it would have been a different story.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

The factory GY on my 2011 were horrible in the rain....Only got caught twice and was very scared and drove under 50mph on the highway...Would hydroplain any other time..and they were new tires...

ANYTHING ELSE IS BETTER !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The issue isn't runflats vs non-runflats, it's in the tire design and rubber compounds.

We wore out 2 1/2 sets of Z51 supercar tires on our C6's, they were ok when new but got noisy and hard after a few thousand miles; and the rain performance went down more than expected also.

OTOH, we have two sets of Michelin runflats:
PS2 ZP for summer
A/S+ ZP for winter

The PS2's actually seem somewhat better in the rain, but both sets are the two best rain tires we've ever driven; including lots of non-runflats on the grocery getters.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

On my Museum Delivery trip home to CA, I ran into heavy rain on I-40 which changed to heavy snow - no hydroplaning or problems.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM
C6York
Intermediate

everyone..thanks for the comments..I am no means a race driver but I drag raced a 8.20 index dragbike and never felt the way I did Saturday night...i thought it was only me and from all of your comments I can see it has happened to many...

I think the Mich...tires are my next purchase...no reason to put this car into harms way on the GYs

Quick Reply: Driving in heavy rain with Runflats