C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the market get "flooded" when C 7's come out

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
I love my C6's so much that I just bought another one Thursday!

It's a PROVEN platform and despite the (over) hype by some C7 fan boys, the C6 is and will remain a very beautiful and capable car for many years to come.

I might buy a C7, but not right away. Like R&L, I am certain I won't be in a rush to dump any of my Corvettes to be "the first kid on the block" to own a C7. I'll see how the thing actually performs and also wait for the bugs to be worked out. I'll let others be the initial guinea pigs for any teething pains and development of aftermarket parts for the C7. Let those guys spend time and money to see what works and what doesn't and then we can benefit once some "collective knowledge" is learned.

Besides, I'm cheap no way would I even pay sticker... I'll wait for the inevitable discounts....
Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tprice
Still in the looking mode and I was talking to a local dealer about C-6. He told me they will have a huge selection as soon as c-7 models start hitting the lot and that if I wait till then I would get a killer deal and could find exactly what i am looking for

Any ideas on this. I am very serious and not a tire kicker and have to admit i am enjoying looking but get more and more confused the more i look

Have a few i have passed on due to some "simple" options i am wanting
I'm thinking that there already are a lot of C6s on the market in anticipation of the C7. Whether there will be a lot of trade-ins for the C7? I don't know, I'm guessing that a lot of 1st year's production is spoken for - I could be wrong. But definitely, be patient and expand your search in order to get what you want. It took me 3 months to find my C6 and I had to get it from a dealer located 1,000 miles away. But I did get an awesome price on it. Relied mostly on Cars.com and Autotrader. Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by dvilin
Do not think the market will get flooded when the C7 finally hits the showrooms. Not sure what you are confused on and what exactly you are looking for. You did not mention year, options, price, etc. Plenty of good deals out there now so you should easily be able to get what you want.
you say yours is a large vol. Corvette dealer--how many allocations does he say he has? as to an onslaught of used cars, doubtful. it's been happening for about the past 3 mos., or since the "unveiling" of the C7 on Jan. 13. yes, it will pick up a bit when the summer gets on.

but let's face some facts, there will be no C7s on the streets as sold cars during Jun, Jul, Aug. where then is this big sellathon coming from for C6 owners?

and with the allocations relatively stringent, how many are already signed up for new ones at your dealer? if he has a C7 allocation of say 30, that's 30 potentially old Corvettes being traded in. if it's a large vol. dealer, that doesn't sound like an awful lot of trade ins, esp. over a period of months as the C7s come in.

I think the whole process will have some people waiting to sell their current cars when they can, in fact, be guaranteed a car will be available for them to buy, and receive. my suggestion therefore would be, keep looking, starting now and expect maybe a little uptick in turn ins, but not that much. and remember that you are competing with everyone who KNOWS they can't, or don't want to afford a new C7. and there are a lot more of those folks than potential buyers for a new C7.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

If you want to buy a car now, buy one. If you can wait, then wait. No one can decide for you. Prices of C6s will be going down for the next few years, most likely. If you always wait, you will never have a Corvette.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I really doubt there will be a tremendous amount of C6s hitting the market when the C7 makes its market debut. It's going to take a while for a sufficient number of C7s to be produced to make a difference and besides, it won't only be C6 owners buying the C7.

If you find a nice C6 now, it may not be a bad idea to get one - you can enjoy it sooner.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:37 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Have noticed some forum dealers are just about out of 1LT base coupe inventory. People snapped them up when they were available at $38K+. When the C7 hits the showrooms I'd guess some dealers will add a "limited availability surcharge" of several thousand dollars which equates to a C7 base coupe of around $55K. This makes a new C6 a steal at under $40K. It also should support a nice low mileage 10-13 base coupe price on the used car lots. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:43 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't tell you if there will be a larger then normal number of used C6's available when the C7 come out but can tell you what happened when the C6 came out. I lived in an area that had two very large corvette dealers within 40 miles of each other and they both were getting a large number of people pre-trading in their C5's to get on the list for a C6. Even though the last 5 years has been bad for corvette sales there were still over 200,000 C6's built so they are not all that rare so I suspect there could be a significant increase in trades. But if you find the right car why wait?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On some level, everyone feels a little bad when they see that the Corvette they bought 3 years ago is now only worth "X." It's the nature of a depreciating asset.

Some times are a little better than others to "jump in the game," so I understand why you're asking.

But in the end, I think as long as you 1) figure out what you *really* want that is within your budget and 2) not get totally ripped off, you'll be okay. Having the car you love will prevent regret when you see that it's dropped X% in value over time.

Last edited by Adam_W; 05-15-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM
DEciiBel
Instructor

I scored a 2008 42K miles, JSB (in wonderful condition), MN6, 3LT, Chromes, Z51, NPP, glass top for less than 28.5K. It is literally everything I wanted in a C6
I think that some fluid has been spilled in an awkward place. Some smell remains but I put a bumper to bumper all inclusive $0 deductible Extended warranty on it. May it all fail in the next three years and not a second later.
I must admit it's a much better car than either my 99 HT or 01 coupe, as a car. It feels very much more refined and without the raw aspect the other two had. This difference was further emphasized by the replacement of the GYs F1 rears with BS A/S Potenzas. Even with a bit of remoteness to the experience, this sucker is way faster than my prior two.
I believe replacement tires will be a larger expense.
If you see a deal, JUMP, FROGGY, JUMP!

Last edited by DEciiBel; 05-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:49 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Kevin Whitaker sold 62 corvettes in 2012 he made the top 50.
Thats 5 and 1/2 a month so yeah he's gonna be flooded alright.
z51vett
Doug
I've got someone to call if you want to see whats here in Ga. 770-316-8528
Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
If you want to buy a car now, buy one. If you can wait, then wait. No one can decide for you. Prices of C6s will be going down for the next few years, most likely. If you always wait, you will never have a Corvette.

Funny, that s what my wife keeps telling me
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z51vett
Kevin Whitaker sold 62 corvettes in 2012 he made the top 50.
Thats 5 and 1/2 a month so yeah he's gonna be flooded alright.
z51vett
Doug
I've got someone to call if you want to see whats here in Ga. 770-316-8528

Thanks that is who i was talking to

They had a 10 that i really like but drug my feet too long due to work schedule
Old 05-12-2013, 09:06 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
Funny, that s what my wife keeps telling me
Smart wife....

Just remember, today was one less day of your life without the joy of a Corvette.

We took ours out for a nice long ride today....it was fun..
Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
And you actually believed a car dealer? Good used cars always sell well. Yes, they lose value like EVERY used car does. Don't for a second think every Corvette lover will immediately sell their cars to buy the latest and greatest.
There are thousands of people out there that will want to buy a used C6 because they cannot afford to buy a new C7. There is NO WAY that I will sell my 2010 Grand Sport Coupe as soon as the new C7 arrives this fall. I love my car's looks and performance and will be happy with it for quite a few more years. However, sooner or later, I will want a new one, again (I like the C7!).

BTW, the only used car that I can think of that has NOT depreciated is the 2005 & 2006 Ford GTs. They sold new for ~$140,000-$150,000. Those cars have increased in value to almost $200K right now.
-Clark
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

A loaded C7 will be 65k to 72k, i think the used C6 will hold it value.
I am selling my CRM 08 convertible now in the c6 for sale section.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nvertible.html
Old 05-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

As they are no longer being built, there will never be more C6's as a whole than right now.
Odometers go up, not down, so if you find the one made for you, now's the time.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This:
Originally Posted by mike100
the demand for affordable used vettes is pretty high.
And this:
Originally Posted by 6893Vette
Huge performance improvements were made starting with the C5, this will make C5's and C6's desirable in the long term.
While the economy is recovering slowly, there is still a strong demand for good used cars - especially sports cars as they are usually a 2nd+ car and a discretionary purchase. C5's and C6's represent excellent performance/price value and are still technically on par with all but the most expensive new sports cars.

Of course they will continue a normal depreciation trend but, I don't believe there will be a huge drop in prices from the introduction of the C7. There have always been people ready and willing to buy the newest generation of Corvette when they debut. Equally, there have always been people who cannot afford a new Corvette but, are willing to pay good money for a quality used example.

Another depreciation milestone is when a car reached the point where banks are less willing to make loans due to age. Early C5 prices are dropping pretty quickly. This is likely one reason why. Cash buyers looking for used sports cars tend to be more price conscious. Even 2005 C6's have years to go before reaching this point.

Last edited by VtVette; 05-12-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the market get "flooded" when C 7's come out

Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Smart wife....

Just remember, today was one less day of your life without the joy of a Corvette.

We took ours out for a nice long ride today....it was fun..

Yep. That is what the wife keeps telling me

Guess i am just being too **** about buying one. Mind is made up when i find what i want i am buying
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 PM
radstom
Pro

I've been gently watching for the right '08 for me for almost two years. I say gently because other priorities have tabs on the toy budget. But I've been window shopping. I have seen very little downward movement in prices. The C7 may have an effect but my guess is that will take at least 2 years. Do you really want to wait that long? If you find what you want you should get it and enjoy. Searching for the 'bargain of the century" is an elusive thing.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that was sound advice.There will be a great selection of old models when a new model comes out.
I don't know if I would go as far as saying the market will be flooded,but it will be a great time to pick up a used C6.When more cars hit the market,it usually means better pricing,and they are cheap now.

Quick Reply: Will the market get "flooded" when C 7's come out