C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the Vette to visit Mom today...........

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:12 AM
Otherslost
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just celebrated my moms 67th birthday last Monday with her knowing it will be her last. 16 months ago my mom was diagnosed with Gliblastoma Multiforme Stage 4 (GBM-IV). She has been under hospice care since the end of Feb and the time is approaching. I have done everything to be with her as much as possible but I will not be there for Mothers Day.

She is why I am the person I have become and will always be.

Our lives changed in the blink of an eye. It happened that fast. I have sacrificed so many things in my life for my work and unfortunately it took this to wake me up to what is truly important.

I had always wanted a Vette and this made me just do it. I promised her and my step dad that I will drive out this summer even though she will be gone. I need to take time to enjoy everything I have worked so hard for and will always cherish her for all she has given me.

Take the time and cherish those that mean the most to you because they can be gone in an instant.

To the OP, thank you for posting this and I am sorry for your loss.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:27 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Gathered myself for a minute before replying. I didn't see that story line coming.

Lost my Mom a couple years ago. Buried her next to my Dad who we lost 2 years prior. Lost them both at the same age and in the same month. Dad was in failing health. Though Mom wasn't as active as she once was, it was still a shock that she passed. In fact the day she passed she was scheduled to travel to Las Vegas with my one sister and brother-in-law for a little vacation.

I miss them both. I still talk to them. I wonder what they would think about some of the world's latest news. I know Dad would still love his TV sports and late night TV, while Mom would be glued to the Game Show Channel. Holidays, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas are a little bit empty since they passed - actually more than a little bit. Time doesn't really change that.

Happy Mother's Day Mom - talk with ya again soon Dad.

PS: I'll be 'visiting' them both this weekend . . . .
Your story is a lot like mine. I lost my Dad 18 months before Mom passed away. You're so right about the holidays not being the same without them. I can still smell the aroma of a holiday meal in my Mothers kitchen....I really miss those days..

Last edited by R&L's C6; 05-11-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:33 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I lost my Mother 20 years ago to cancer, and tried to like you, spend has much time with her has possible, knowing I will never see her or talk to her again. I feel for you, cause I was in your shoes. All I can say is be strong for both you.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 05-11-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 AM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Lost my mom 10 years ago this June, but it only seems like yesterday. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her and all the sacrifices she made for her kids, always putting us first.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 AM
DJSpeece
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonderful story, OP, and one that caused my allergies to instantly and briefly act up (only me eyes, strangely enough )
Lost mine in 1997 and there is so much that has happened in the intervening years that I would like to share with her.
Happy Mothers Day to the Moms on this forum, and all of your moms, fellas. Show them you care tomorrow!
Dan
Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 AM
DickM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You brought me to tears sir. Lost my mom 4 years ago (ovarian cancer). I miss her very much- especially around Mothers Day...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

God bless all of you.......................
Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Otherslost
I just celebrated my moms 67th birthday last Monday with her knowing it will be her last. 16 months ago my mom was diagnosed with Gliblastoma Multiforme Stage 4 (GBM-IV). She has been under hospice care since the end of Feb and the time is approaching. I have done everything to be with her as much as possible but I will not be there for Mothers Day.

She is why I am the person I have become and will always be.

Our lives changed in the blink of an eye. It happened that fast. I have sacrificed so many things in my life for my work and unfortunately it took this to wake me up to what is truly important.

I had always wanted a Vette and this made me just do it. I promised her and my step dad that I will drive out this summer even though she will be gone. I need to take time to enjoy everything I have worked so hard for and will always cherish her for all she has given me.

Take the time and cherish those that mean the most to you because they can be gone in an instant.

To the OP, thank you for posting this and I am sorry for your loss.
Very sorry to hear about your Mother. I hope you can find peace and strength in the days ahead.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM
former50
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paper Tiger
My Mom died a year and a half ago. I have been planning to get up early Sunday morning and go the the cemetery in my 427 Convertible. When I saw the thread title, I somehow knew what it was before I read it. I am an only child, so we were very close. SO I know how you feel.

Only child here too.....know what you are feeling. I lost mine in 08, all I can say is that it does get a little easier as time goes on, stay strong.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:00 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Great story, Randy and as you can see, we all appreciate that you've shared it here. I'm one of those who's fortunate enough to still have my Mom. Although she lives quite far from us (Wisconsin), be assured that I'll be reaching out to her in a special way this weekend. Thank you, Randy.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Very fortunate to still have my Mom alive at the good ole age of 89. Will visit her tomorrow (Mothers Day), and she will ask as always did you drive your sportscar.
Lost my Dad several years ago and he was very much a car guy. When I got my Vette one of my first trips was to the cemetary to share it with my Dad. I know he was grinning from ear to ear when he saw it.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:24 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Great story, Randy and as you can see, we all appreciate that you've shared it here. I'm one of those who's fortunate enough to still have my Mom. Although she lives quite far from us (Wisconsin), be assured that I'll be reaching out to her in a special way this weekend. Thank you, Randy.
Mike,

It's I who owe you and the others a Thank You for sharing in this thread. I have to admit, I was reluctant to start this thread and was surprised to hear the heartfelt stories of so many others.

Our forum members really are the best, you guys rock....

Last edited by R&L's C6; 05-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 05-11-2013, 01:38 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Mike,

Our forum members really are the best, you guys rock....
This is so very true from what I've seen the short time of being on this forum. So many helpful and caring people who also take the time to share their difficult but yet heartwarming stories.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Celebrating moms day today with mom, gf and sisters who are all moms. Thanks 4 sharing Randy.

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Moms are special, lost mine 15 years ago and dad 25 years back...like others mentioned spend the time with your parents whenever you get a chance.
Wouldn't mind spending some time with the mom in your avatar...
Old 05-11-2013, 03:30 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My mother passed away on her 86th birthday, never had to chance to see my Corvette, miss her!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Took the Vette to visit Mom today...........

Old 05-11-2013, 03:41 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Very moving thread.

For me, its been almost 24 years since my Mom passed away suddenly on her 35th wedding anniversary. Worst part was that six weeks later, my daughter, her first grandchild, was born. She was the grandparent-to-be who was most excited about it. Worse than missing her, is feeling sorry for what she has missed by passing so young.

Fortunately for Dad, he met a great lady and they had 19 wonderful years together before he passed away at age 89. He died on my birthday so I decided he could make it up to me by buying me a Vette with my inheritance. He wasn't a car guy but I know that it would have brought a huge smile to his face to say he bought that car for me.

Been three years since Dad died, but my step-mother still gets Mother's Day presents from us. She's been a great grandmother to my girls. Yesterday she called me; she was soooo excited to receive two presents from us, beautiful flowers and wonderful chocolates. It felt nice to make her so happy.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I am sorry to say I don't think I fully appreciated my mom until she was gone.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:38 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Mother is 94 and still doing quite well for her age. She and I will be going out for dinner tomorrow. She loves Corvettes in fact she drove to Ohio with me to pick up the new convertible in March and will be with me for the Bloomington Gold show in June. She has always been a part of my life and it truly scares me to think one day she will leave me.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Took the Vette to visit Mom today...........