C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower door panel speaker grills

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:48 AM
mbsigman
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default lower door panel speaker grills

Can the lower speaker grills on the door panels (I'm referring to the big speaker grills in the doors) be removed without removing the door panel itself? If so, can someone post instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

Mike
Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

no
you must remove panels
Old 02-21-2014, 12:02 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I can confirm that, I had to remove my door panel to change the speaker.

Not much to it 2 torx screws(under the door pull cover) then work a slim tool into the space between the panel and the door then pry it toward you.

Once you can get your fingers in pry it out evenly around the door panel, those clips are tough to pull, then just lift the panel away unplug the harness or just lay the door panel down on something soft.

4 metric bolts, then disconnect the power plug.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:18 PM
DoIBugU2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea why I'm getting a rattle from the pass side door panel? I have the stock bose system and get a nasty rattle at times.

Thought about taking the door off, but wasn't sure if there was an easier fix.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM
JQUICK
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm getting the same rattle at certain bass levels and I know it isn't the speaker. Sounds like loose plastic. It quiets when I push against the panel. Wish I knew how easy it was to remove the panel.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:57 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by DoIBugU2
Any idea why I'm getting a rattle from the pass side door panel? I have the stock bose system and get a nasty rattle at times.

Thought about taking the door off, but wasn't sure if there was an easier fix.
Originally Posted by JQUICK
I'm getting the same rattle at certain bass levels and I know it isn't the speaker. Sounds like loose plastic. It quiets when I push against the panel. Wish I knew how easy it was to remove the panel.
If I was a betting man the 10" door sub is blown...very common
and you can only direct replace with a stock replacement as well
Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
If I was a betting man the 10" door sub is blown...very common
and you can only direct replace with a stock replacement as well
Interesting. A blown speaker is usually the result of a dirty signal coming from the amp. If it's not a blown speaker it could be that the bass is turned up too much. Sometimes its that simple. But not always
Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM
chevyguy3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JQUICK
Check the "BOSE" emblem on the speaker grill. They tend to loosen up and vibrate.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I replaced my door speaker grills when I replaced a blown speaker. The key is to make sure the sticky black tape adhesive remains wrapped around the grill tabs and properly stapled to the door (I did it with a power stapler). Those speakers are quite crappy and the cones are made of paper. Problem is, you have to replace it with another paper cone OEM speaker or completely revamp your audio system.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:22 AM
mbsigman
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced my stock door panels with leather door panels from DownSouth Vettes and I'm now getting occasional speaker buzz from the left lower speaker on heavy bass. On the original door panels, I had the same thing and turned out to be one of those ridged plastic pins was not fully seated. Mechanic simply pushed on the door panel with his palm and that was the end of the problem. There are three pins near the lower speaker and I plan on pushing pretty hard around those pins but don't want to damage the speaker grill. If that doesn't work, I'll go back to the dealer and they will replace those pins for me without a big deal. Just trying to avoid the trip to the dealer.

Dennis at DoubleD sells plug and play replacement speakers for the doors and they are an enormous improvement over the stock Bose door speakers. I was a little skeptical and concerned that they would even work, but for just a few hundred bucks those speakers make a world of difference. And those folks are super good troops, too!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:25 AM
amar354022
Heel & Toe

Default speakers dont work

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
I replaced my door speaker grills when I replaced a blown speaker. The key is to make sure the sticky black tape adhesive remains wrapped around the grill tabs and properly stapled to the door (I did it with a power stapler). Those speakers are quite crappy and the cones are made of paper. Problem is, you have to replace it with another paper cone OEM speaker or completely revamp your audio system.

hey man I replaced my door speakers. But when I connected them my new speakers they sounded lifeless barely any sounds out of them. Do you know what the problem might be. Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by amar354022
hey man I replaced my door speakers. But when I connected them my new speakers they sounded lifeless barely any sounds out of them. Do you know what the problem might be. Thanks
Hmm not sure, when I replaced mine it worked fine. Make sure you firmly connected the speaker wires to the speaker. Or it might be that you bought a defective speaker. Only way to truly tell is to use the door speaker from the other door. If it works then it's your replacement speaker. If it doesn't work then it's your wiring or audio system.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:27 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by amar354022
Possibly an Impedance mismatch such as using an 8 or 16 ohm speaker where a 4 ohm speaker is needed.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:18 PM
amar354022
Heel & Toe

I found out the problem I need to bypass my stock amp. But where is it located and how do I by pass it.

Get notified of new replies

To lower door panel speaker grills

Quick Reply: lower door panel speaker grills