C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will make a LS3 more hp per liter if keeping it n/a?

Old 11-23-2014, 02:17 PM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What will make a LS3 more hp per liter if keeping it n/a?

I just started thinking how Honda got 120hp per liter out of the S2000 with no supercharger or turbo. That's pretty high compared to the LS3 which is about 70. I realize one is DOHC and other is OHV, but what things can be done to help boost the hp/l of the LS3? Currently I can think of lighter pistons, rods, valves, valve springs, and even bigger exhaust and headers....anything else?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:40 PM
R3L4X
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beyond the aforementioned: port & polish, bore and stroke, forced air induction. Next!!!!
Old 11-23-2014, 02:49 PM
R3L4X
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And don't forget lift & duration. It wouldn't hurt to release the strangle hold the EPA has placed on the internal engine either, lest the tree huggers raise their ugly stump.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:00 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I f you don't mind having to redline the engine for a spirited drive you will like the Honda, for normal driving I found the S2000 unexciting. For me torque is my friend,suiting my style of driving better. I believe the internal friction of a v-8 reduces hp per liter. It will be interesting to see how bad Honda whips the other F1 power plants in 2015 Though!
Old 11-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

"Volumetric efficiency" is the phrase I learned in auto class in the '60s.

The more efficiently you can get the fuel-air mixture into and the exhaust out of the cylinders the better: fewer bends in the ports, perhaps more than two valves per cylinder, higher compression, a more efficient combustion chamber, better exhaust scavenging, better cam, the right spark at the right time in the right place, etc.

And everything must be designed together as a package, which I suspect is a lot easier to do today than it used to be.

EDIT: Back in the day, one horse per cube was considered a good goal for a street engine. Today, obviously, that has all gone out the window thanks to greater volumetric efficiency.

Last edited by Bruze; 11-23-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:35 PM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hrt vlv
I f you don't mind having to redline the engine for a spirited drive you will like the Honda, for normal driving I found the S2000 unexciting. For me torque is my friend,suiting my style of driving better. I believe the internal friction of a v-8 reduces hp per liter. It will be interesting to see how bad Honda whips the other F1 power plants in 2015 Though!
I really like the feel of torque b/c when you punch it you feel like you are doing 100mph when you are only at 50! However what I liked about the low end torque on the high RPM engines was the fact that when you punched it, you didn't have enough torque to break loose the tires so you never had to worry about feathering the pedal but had plenty of HP and RPMs left to keep you moving forward pretty fast.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:01 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Honda may have more HP per liter, but it also has about as much torque as my riding lawn mower. Skip it.

Get notified of new replies

To What will make a LS3 more hp per liter if keeping it n/a?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What will make a LS3 more hp per liter if keeping it n/a?