C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugging a tire on a C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Plugging a tire on a C6

I posted a question about recommending a good plug kit to carry in my C6. I received a response suggesting that it is near impossible to plug a tire while still on the vehicle.

So here is my question...

Can you plug a tire with a good plug kit on a C6 with the wheel still mounted on the vehicle???
Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't see a problem with that, as long as you are able to locate (visually see) the nail /screw and it's not close to the sidewall also it must be a puncture hole not a slice, if unable to locate object such as it's no longer in the tire & you cannot feel or hear the punctured area, you would have to get to a tire repair shop, or I suppose you could re inflate the tire & soap it to locate the puncture, I have repaired a tire like that before it's not fun to do & it was not on a run flat tire. mostly depends on the type of puncture / damage severity.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

On a front tire, you can turn the steering wheel and see/reach almost anywhere on the tread of the tire. So it would be a bit difficult dfficult but do-able.

The rears are wider and don't steer. Plugging one of them would be noticably more difficult.

Even with runflats, I carry a plug kit in my my rear cubby along with the compressor. But I think the odds are against having a puncture that can be repaired with a plug, and then actually being able to find it and then plug it.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 PM
chase.moose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plugged my run-flat on the car. Make sure you get a kit with a good T-handle so you can really push on it. Also the red(ish) plugs seem to work the best.

If you have run-flats then you really can just drive it to the nearest tire place with 0 PSI. I was surprised (never had run-flats before).
Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't mess with the Goodyear runflats on the street, but run on non runflats for the track, so carry a Patch Boy vulcanizing plug gun kit and ViAir compressor, just in case. Never had to use any of this stuff myself, but guys at the track have, and most report it's pretty good. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. Being I sometimes drive hundreds of miles to tracks in the middle of nowhere, want something that works, especially the compressor. Always best idea to remove the tire first, as pretty tight in there. Good idea to get a plugged tire patched from the inside later, as always the best way.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
I don't mess with the Goodyear runflats on the street, but run on non runflats for the track, so carry a Patch Boy vulcanizing plug gun kit and ViAir compressor, just in case. Never had to use any of this stuff myself, but guys at the track have, and most report it's pretty good. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. Being I sometimes drive hundreds of miles to tracks in the middle of nowhere, want something that works, especially the compressor. Always best idea to remove the tire first, as pretty tight in there. Good idea to get a plugged tire patched from the inside later, as always the best way.
Got the ViAir compressor. Thanks for the plug recommendation.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I highly recommend that whatever type of "on the road" plug repair that you do, you then take to to a tire shop and have them plug it with the correct tire plug.

It looks like a mushroom, and they put it on INSIDE the tire with the stem sticking out thru the puncture.

The big mushroom head is on the inside, and it will not come out at the high speeds that these tires are made for.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

There was a thread going last week about tire repairs and someone posted this youtube about the correct way to plug a tire.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I highly recommend that whatever type of "on the road" plug repair that you do, you then take to to a tire shop and have them plug it with the correct tire plug.

It looks like a mushroom, and they put it on INSIDE the tire with the stem sticking out thru the puncture.

The big mushroom head is on the inside, and it will not come out at the high speeds that these tires are made for.

I would use my plug kit only if the other choice was to drive on a flat (runflat) tire more than 10 miles. The manual says we can go up to 25 miles without further damaging the tire, but several people have reported internal damage after about 20, even at slow speed.

Of course, you can go much further than that if you are wiling to trash the tire...

Get notified of new replies

To Plugging a tire on a C6

Quick Reply: Plugging a tire on a C6