C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone is saying I'll sell it

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes will always have that "its been in an accident" stigma, start fresh.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by RLSebring
I'd say get another one. You know you're buddies will rag you about it (not me though...).

btw I left Karls house Sunday heading to I-10 and saw a sh!!t load of deer along the hwy. Some were right at the road grazing. You were my first thought prior to slowing way the hell down.
Did you get it tuned the way you want it? You must have been on 85 heading north. That road scares the hell out of me at dawn or dusk. Too many deer out there.

I haven't been back to see the car since I dropped it off. I need to stop in and see if they've made any progress. The thing that's irritating me right now is the parts supplier can't figure out how to ship a carbon fibre hood and fender without it getting damaged in transit. They had to send the second set back already so more delays.

My plan is to keep the car if the repairs are done correctly and there aren't any ****ling side effects that cause me to keep taking it back. Worse case scenario, I'll trade it in for a C7.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Did you get it tuned the way you want it? You must have been on 85 heading north. That road scares the hell out of me at dawn or dusk. Too many deer out there.

I haven't been back to see the car since I dropped it off. I need to stop in and see if they've made any progress. The thing that's irritating me right now is the parts supplier can't figure out how to ship a carbon fibre hood and fender without it getting damaged in transit. They had to send the second set back already so more delays.

My plan is to keep the car if the repairs are done correctly and there aren't any ****ling side effects that cause me to keep taking it back. Worse case scenario, I'll trade it in for a C7.
I was on 85N. First time I was really ever concerned about the deer. Must have been 30 or so in a very short stretch.

Sundays visit was actually purely social and to see his ZR1. Damn it was pretty. I keep seeing all these newer C6's and I start getting the itch.

I am still running on Norris's tune from when I had the Hot Cam. Since swapping in the Z06 cam it has ran very well although I know it could stand some tweeking. I have been so happy that it runs that I haven't messed with it.

I have Kens tune from his LS3 and was actually going to install it but had an older version of HP Tuners. I just down loaded the newest version this morning so I'll load it next week start playing with it. Gotta have it ready for Talladega at the end of the month.

Wish Karl was taking the Beast but understand the insurance concerns. Do you think the 427 will be ready?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm one of those people that would say that I would keep the car but inside something would be itching me, and it would bother me knowing it's not all original. I'd like to say I would keep it, but in the end I would probably end up selling it and buying another one.

There's just something about a car being original to me personally. It also would explain why I try to keep my ALL my cars as stock as possible most of the time. I just don't like aftermarket parts for some reason.

If it doesn't eat away at you every time you drive it (even if nothing is wrong and the body/paint work is PERFECT), the definitely keep it. Easier said than done tho...I would know.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Oh I'd be prone to keeping it. Remember this is how mine started off 5 years ago with 10 miles on the clock. I just turned 80K this past week. Hardly nothing bothers me. Smash something, just go wide body...

Then

Now

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just got an update from the dealer. Everything is done except the hood, fender, and paint. The suspension parts went together just fine and the alignment checked out. All of the other parts have been test fitted and are loosely hung so they can be moved for the hood and fender install. Now if the supplier can get those delivered without damage, I'll be back in the driver's seat soon. I don't think it will make Talladega so the blue car gets another shot. Maybe I can join the 160+ club this year.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 05-02-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,342 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

my wife saying I won't keep the car once I get it back

Hmmm, so tell your wife the next time she goes into the hospital for some minor surgery you...nah, better not..
Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

just keep it, your gonna take a bounding from the dealer if trading a wrecked car in. Hell, you might hit another deer sometime down the road.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by troller399
FWIW...it had $5500.00 worth of damages, dealership/insurance co never reported it to carfax
Several years ago I bought a M. Benz with a "clean carfax" from an a**hole in Oklahoma. Six months later carfax showed a "major damage repair". Moral: NEVER TRUST CARFAX. I found out too late that many states are only required to publish their records periodically. My understanding is that California (where my car was from) publishes data only every six months, Rhode Island, only ONCE A YEAR!!

Caveat Emptor!

Be sure to make a claim for a decrease in resale value if you can.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a wreck in my IROC Z less than a month after I got it back in 89. Some kid took a left turn right in front of me and did just under $7k damage. I took it a body shop that my old boss was running and they took care of me pretty good. The only problem was they could have prepped the D/S fender a little better (black car) but the car was straight and drove just as good as new. I still have the car and it has been a great DD for almost 20 years and 216,xxx miles. The paint never faded any different and unless I told you where the damage was you would never even know. Sure I wish it had never happened but in the end the car was fixed fine. When I was running late model stock cars we would tear the car up on Saturday night and by the next weekend the car was just as good as it was before the wreck. New clip, motor parts, suspension parts and all. These things can be repaired right. In a perfect world it would be nice to have a virgin car but some things are out of our control. Good luck with your car's repair!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 AM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Being as new as it is, if the paint is done right, you will never know the difference. Being as all the parts are new and no repair was done, you will never see a difference.

I scraped my splitter on a parking curb Monday and was horrified at the sound. Thought the thing would be laying in pieces on the ground when I got out. One small scuff on the front and some paint transfer on the edges which came right out with some acetone. Now, I have scuffed the splitter and don't worry about it anymore, so actually my time with the car has become more pleasurable not always worrying about the first scrape.

All that being said, if the repair is done properly, I would drive it and not worry about the little stuff. I have a saying, "get mad, get over it, move on." Good luck with the repairs and I hope it comes out better than new and you put some miles on it.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Enjoy the car ...it'll be good as new. If it isn't so sell it quick.

I'd keep it if it were me but I'd understand some guys need to sell. Wait till it's all done to decide.

Fight for diminished value as this will effect resale if you wait.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 AM
CaliKushMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car will look new, and feel brand new. But from someone that wreck his 350z to have it put back together 20k in damage, it will be in the back of your head this was totaled.

Side story.
Second 350z I bought cleanest car ever, dealer said it was owned by a old guy, 3 years later traded it in. Dealer tells me its been in a accidents 1 month before I bought it. Thats why it looked so clean.
But, while I owned it I thought it had been accident free and that was one less thing for my mind to think about.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Bobcatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a pretty new (less than one year old) with really low miles I would trade. I did when a tree limb fell and did 3,500 dollars of damage to my truck. Only lost a little more than that by trading and getting the same truck a year newer. Now after 3 years got a thousand dollar damage to this one. Got it fixed and am keeping it. The thing is I didn't want a new vehicle that had been damaged. Also it would depend on how much damage and where.

Quick Reply: Everyone is saying I'll sell it