C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Default New shifter

Just finished installing a MGW shifter in my 13 GS and I can say that this is absolutely the best "bang for your buck" mod that I have made to date in ANY of my cars. I had read all the hype and thought "can it really be that good ?" Answer YES ! I had not driven a stick on a regular basis for several years before getting the GS, and I thought I was a little rusty. Nope, now I can blame it all on the shifter. I also went to the round MGW handle which also made a huge difference. I am a palm shifter, and the stock handle never felt right. Now the changes are buttery smooth and accurate, even those made in anger. I also Dynamatted the tunnel area while I had everything apart, this also made a huge improvement in noise and heat reduction. Jegs sells a 4sq ft roll that covers the entire tunnel from front to back with minimal trimming. If anyone is on the fence about changing shifters don't be, just do it !
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Welcome to the MGW club, it is a great mod and one every manual owner should do

I too have the round shaft, but have not installed it yet. I want to be able to have more shift ball options. Like you not a fan of the OEM shift ball and have an aftermarket round ball installed. The aftermarket old school round ball along with the MGW makes a world of difference.

Also would add MGW sets the standard on DIY instructions for all to follow.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

MGW/
Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I end up fighting the shifter it is to precise in the shift pattern if I shift in a hurry i end up in between or in wrong gear. Now this was with a hurst unit.
z51vett
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great description!

Guess I need to give it some serious consideration.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Just finished installing a MGW shifter in my 13 GS and I can say that this is absolutely the best "bang for your buck" mod that I have made to date in ANY of my cars. I had read all the hype and thought "can it really be that good ?" Answer YES ! I had not driven a stick on a regular basis for several years before getting the GS, and I thought I was a little rusty. Nope, now I can blame it all on the shifter. I also went to the round MGW handle which also made a huge difference. I am a palm shifter, and the stock handle never felt right. Now the changes are buttery smooth and accurate, even those made in anger. I also Dynamatted the tunnel area while I had everything apart, this also made a huge improvement in noise and heat reduction. Jegs sells a 4sq ft roll that covers the entire tunnel from front to back with minimal trimming. If anyone is on the fence about changing shifters don't be, just do it !
And the comment about the instructions is dead on. It is really nice to have such concise instructions for pulling apart and reinstalling those plastic trim pieces without breaking, scratching, or cracking them.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Yup I have it and love it mgw all the way
Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

After 48k miles, the oem shifter's 3rd gear hang up was only getting worse. Now with 55k miles since the install of the MGW shifter, I have not had any hang up issues with 3rd gear. Shifts are precise, short and confident, just the way it should be. MGW is a quality product and made in USA, I wouldn't expect less. :
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your review.

Now that they have their shifter box in production I am thinking about it......and I agree a round **** is WAY better than the angled, awkward OE ****. Just changing ***** made a big difference for me.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Sheep
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you buy said shifter??
Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheep
Where did you buy said shifter??
I ordered it online from MGW, it was shipped in about a week for less than $250.

I agree with the straightforeward installation, but mine did not come with any instructions. I used the wealth of knowledge here on CF to remove the console and trim, then used the excellent install video on MGWs website to install the shifter. I agree that made in the U.S.A. does make a huge difference !
Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 AM
FireGS
Racer

Will this fix the 3rd gear shifts. When I first got he car I hit 3rd every time without a single problem. Then all of a sudden one day I started missing 3rd but only at higher rpm ranges. It feels like I'm not really missing 3rd it just wont go in smoothly.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
AGC23
Instructor

I have the Callaway short shifter kit on my GS, how different is that from MGW
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by FireGS
Will this fix the 3rd gear shifts. When I first got he car I hit 3rd every time without a single problem. Then all of a sudden one day I started missing 3rd but only at higher rpm ranges. It feels like I'm not really missing 3rd it just wont go in smoothly.
Read post #8.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 PM
richietables
Racer

Originally Posted by JKbride

Welcome to the MGW club, it is a great mod and one every manual owner should do

I too have the round shaft, but have not installed it yet. I want to be able to have more shift ball options. Like you not a fan of the OEM shift ball and have an aftermarket round ball installed. The aftermarket old school round ball along with the MGW makes a world of difference.

Also would add MGW sets the standard on DIY instructions for all to follow.

How DIY is this job? Driveway-type DIY? This all sounds great. And can you still use the OEM shifter **** on the MGW gear? (I still like it...)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 PM
MGretz70
Racer

Originally Posted by richietables
How DIY is this job? Driveway-type DIY? This all sounds great. And can you still use the OEM shifter **** on the MGW gear? (I still like it...)
If your slightly mechanically inclined and worked around some cars this is very DIY. Their video online and the wealth of info on CF makes this install a breeze!
And yes driveway DIY and can still use OEM shifter, just make sure you buy the right shaft when purchasing the shifter.

Last edited by MGretz70; 05-03-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New shifter

Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM
richietables
Racer

How much of a difference is their lower box supposed to make? Anybody have one of those in? I understand it's pretty new.

Also, Is there any video or instruction out there on the center console removal (and much more importantly, reinstallation )?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Her are their VERY excellent instalation and reinstalation instructions.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:25 PM
richietables
Racer

Is there a link?

Quick Reply: New shifter