Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
packkrs

Default LED Light Problem

I have a C6 convertible and just replaced the trunk lights with LED lights and tapped into the same wire to install an LED light strip. The lights worked fine initially but soon after installation, when I open the trunk, the strip will not light and the two LED bulbs light but they are very dim. However, if I close the trunk, open the car door, and then open the trunk, the strip lights up and the LED bulbs are bright as intended. Is there anything I can do to make them light correctly without having to open the door first? Thank you!
packkrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
gp56
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Try pressing unlock on the fob prior to opening the trunk and see if the lights are OK then. I have a similar issue with my coupe and this solves it.
gp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
packkrs

What a great idea! I'll give it a try as soon as I get home and let readers know if it works. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Reggied
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I also changed my trunk light to LEDs. I saw the same dim LEDS upon opening the trunk. If I had to guess this is what i think is going on.
First thing.
a) Nothing is wrong with the LEDS.
b) Nothing is wrong with your car.

This is ONLY my guess.
Your car has a built in circuit which saves the battery. After a preset time the car automatically shut down power to systems within the car which might accidentally drain the battery. Opening your car doors resets that circuit.

The current needed to power the LEDs is far less than whats needed to power the older bulbs you replaced. The car might be in that battery saver mode upon opening the trunk.

I noticed my trunk LEDs are dim ONLY after the car sits for about 25 mins and I open the trunk first. Once I open the doors the LEDs jump back bright. They stay bright for about 20 to 25 mins.

You are OK
Reggied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
packkrs

To gp56 and Reggied,

The suggestion gp56 provided solves the issue! I also agree with Reggied that it makes sense that this is likely a circuit to save battery life.

I greatly appreciate the quick responses from both of you to help me solve this formerly frustrating issue!

packkrs
Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
gp56
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad your frustrations are over!
gp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page LED Light Problem