C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 GS or Porsche 997 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 AM
ljpviper
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 GS or Porsche 997 Carrera S

I am looking for anyone to have had both cars. I am on the fence of either getting a new 13 GS coupe or 05/06 997 Carrera s coupe.

I don't like the C7 at all so looking to take advantage of the deals on the leftovers. I have owned a base 05 997 in the past, it's a great car, never had a C6, just a C 4 in 90's.

Both cars have there advantages so curious what others who have had both have to say. Either way u can't go wrong.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havnt had the Porsche ,but I did look at them lightly used at about the same dollar mark. I decided on the Vette for a coule reasons. 1) warranty, the cost of repairing the Porsche would sure take some fun out of it if ya ran into that issue. The Vette is free to drive for awhile and cheaper when it does come off waranty.
2) It is North American made and this matters to me. (Canadian living in the States)
beyond that they are both fun to drive and its all about fun for me.
I know this isnt exactly the information you are looking for but.......
Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

I looked at both before I got a vette, and although I readily concede that Corvette isn't in the same class as Porsche as to apparent socio-economic status, I concluded (1) vette is way cheaper and simpler to service and replace parts, and (2) vette looks and is a whole lot prettier and sexier.

Sort of funny story: Not too long ago, I parked next to a Porsche in my vette. The owner of the Porsche had just gotten out of his car; I was sitting in mine checking email and I realized he was still standing there watching me. I realized that he wasn't giving my car a once over (I don't think a Porsche owner would allow himself to be seen admiring a vette) -- I presumed he was waiting to watch me open my door and wanted me to do so carefully so I wouldn't harm his beloved Porsche. I just waited, and waited, until he walked away; I preferred not to say anything to him, but if I had, it would have been, "Do you really think I care about my car less than you care about yours?" I have the same attitude when parking next to other cars; I park next to cars that appear well-maintained (and thus valued), regardless of price. A man's car is -- well, a man's car.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:22 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't have a GS, but have an 09 coupe. Also have a 2006 911 Carrera S cabriolet. They are very different cars and both have attributes I love. The 911 has a short wheelbase and handles like it's on rails. The Vette, though the same weight, feels big by comparison. Cost of ownership for the Vette is much less than the Porsche. Build quality for the Porsche is much better than the Vette. While the Porsche sounds good, the Vette sounds awesome. If I were to buy new in a year or so, it will be a C7. I have looked at new Porsches and even the base cars are expensive and devoid of frills. Add power seats and stuff that comes standard on a Vette and the price soars.

One last thing, when I watch races, I always root for the Vettes over the Porsches.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
I looked at both before I got a vette, and although I readily concede that Corvette isn't in the same class as Porsche as to apparent socio-economic status, I concluded (1) vette is way cheaper and simpler to service and replace parts, and (2) vette looks and is a whole lot prettier and sexier.

Sort of funny story: Not too long ago, I parked next to a Porsche in my vette. The owner of the Porsche had just gotten out of his car; I was sitting in mine checking email and I realized he was still standing there watching me. I realized that he wasn't giving my car a once over (I don't think a Porsche owner would allow himself to be seen admiring a vette) -- I presumed he was waiting to watch me open my door and wanted me to do so carefully so I wouldn't harm his beloved Porsche. I just waited, and waited, until he walked away; I preferred not to say anything to him, but if I had, it would have been, "Do you really think I care about my car less than you care about yours?" I have the same attitude when parking next to other cars; I park next to cars that appear well-maintained (and thus valued), regardless of price. A man's car is -- well, a man's car.
He could have been just another car guy and was waiting for you to get out so he could compliment you about your car or ask questions. Corvette owners complain all the time about being stereotyped. We should not do the same and assume Porsche owners are all stuck-up elitists.

To the OP, I'm looking at buying a 911 in the near future and have not owned a 997 so I can't give you any advice. However, I can tell you that the GS is a great car and you can buy a left over 2013 extremely cheap. Good luck and let us know what you get.
The following users liked this post:
Noblebro175 (10-19-2022)
Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Drive both.

The GS will provide a little better performance while the 997S will feel a lot better to drive.

Both are outstanding cars.

Personally I'd take the GS beecause I'm not crazy about the 997S. The only 997 I really like is the widebody style - turbo or 4S (funny...the only C6 I like is the widebody as well, ha ha)
Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
He could have been just another car guy and was waiting for you to get out so he could compliment you about your car or ask questions. Corvette owners complain all the time about being stereotyped. We should not do the same and assume Porsche owners are all stuck-up elitists.
Well said. Point taken.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Porsches are great cars. Have driven several--most recently an '03 Turbo, and have several friends who own them. R&T did a test of the '06 Vette vs an '06 911S and the Vette won, both price independent and price dependent--by a mile. The new LS3 Vettes are a vast improvement in many ways over the LS2s. Bottom line is repair costs. Once the warranty is over on the Porsche, you'd better have deep pockets. The Vette has the warranty for 5 years. Interior, no contest, but overall for the same price more or less, I'd buy the Vette in a heartbeat. If I had the extra $50k, I would have bought a 911S vice the '13 Vette. As I didn't, that choice was easy. If you do get an '05/6 911, have it thoroughly checked out by a Porsche dealer. Any surprises after you get it will be huge dollars, and there have been issues. Good luck with the decision.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Ozzy12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS is going to have a quicker 0-60 and be more spirited to drive. Plus, the targa top is the real deal breaker for me, open top driving versus a sunroof is night and day. Porsches are beautiful cars and do handle incredibly well, but this one for me really comes down to this:
Getting a 7-8 year old Porsche out of warranty versus a brand new Vette with 5yr 100k miles of warranty. To me, that's a no brainer.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM
ljpviper
Cruising

Default Decision

I had the 997 for like a year and thought I was just a great car, sold it to purchase some real estate.

I have driven an a 997s, and its similar to the base Carrera I had with better brakes and more power.

A dealer by me has like 15 grandsports I was able to take a short test drive, but need to go back for another.

Yes I agree the main issues with some of the 997s is if something breaks it gets pricey. Overall they are well built.

I was told the C7 hits the dealers in September so if I do go with the vette timing is everything as either they run out or you might get a better deal with new one out.

I look at the GS as a timeless design, Chevy hit it with widebody. I can never see that car being old or outdated. Just bad *** like the ford gt or viper gts.I am not a fan of all the new electric steering, etc like the c7 and new Porsche 991 have. My buddy bought a new 991 and the electric steering killed the feel compared to the 997.

The complaints on the c7 have been about the back, etc. lets hope Chevys electric steering did not numb the steering like the new Porsche, not good.

I will keep u all posted, thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 PM
philip_g
Drifting

I think the elephant in the room that needs to be addressed is resale value, I think the vette will depreciate a lot more.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Default that is not a fair question

look who you are asking

obviously both are great cars. I can tell you the Porsche is easier to drive in bad weather, but maintance costs are ASTRONOMICAL.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 PM
ljpviper
Cruising

Default Good point

Philip g you make a good point. I bought my 997 in 09 for 37, sold it in late 10 for 38. A lot of people thought the 997 was going to depreciate since the 991 came out. Actually the opposite happened, the 997s went up slightly and stabilized. I don't see a 997S going under 40k anytime soon.

Now my local dealer will sell me a 13 GS 1lt for 43k, that is such a great value for the money. How will the GS depreciate in the future maybe dependent on the C7.

I just think the current cars have too many aids, gizmos, elec steering, start stop etc. no thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 03:51 PM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the GS is a GREAT value. We had a 2010 987 Boxster S (I know, not the same as a 997 S but my Porsche experience) and the car was pretty good but required dealing with crappy Porsche warranty service. Porsche was dumped after a year of ownership. My limited service experience with my local Chevrolet dealer has exceeded all of my Porsche service interactions by a large margin.

If you plan on keeping long term, the Porsche will cost more- going from euro cars back to American, the parts cost difference is amazing. The LS3 is tried and true, but will not break the bank if something does happen outside of warranty or due to mods. But that is 5 years/100k miles away for me.

We drove our GS back late last night from the bash to ATL in torrential rain, bordering on flash flood conditions on some parts of interstate. While it was interesting, you just have to understand those same wide tires that provide super high levels of grip in the dry turn into pontoons with standing water Maybe better with Michelin SS as opposed to Crapyears the car came with.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:42 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Two completely different cars with different driving characteristics. If you were talking 2013 Vette versus 2013 997 I would go with the Porsche.
But a 6 year old Porsche brings into the picture lack of warranty and cost of possible repairs and upkeep. I would lean towards the 2013 Vette unless you can get a 2010 or newer Porsche.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

I've never known anyone with a Porsche that had large after-warranty repairs or work necessary. Porsche are VERY dependable cars.

Like I said though, I'd still take the GS in this scenario, personally. I just wouldn't let after-warranty costs effect my decision.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 04-28-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 PM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 10 GS and an 08 997 C4. I like them both. The vette is like a refined muscle car and is much smoother on the road. I like the sound of the V8 over the 911. Now the 911 is like a street legal gokart and in my opinion handles better than the vette although mine is all wheel drive so that might mave something to do with it. I have owned vettes for 40 years and they are my first choice because they were my first love. I will have to say that the 911 is VERY fun to drive and handles winter driving much better than the vette. The diference in price is also a big factor. If I could only have one I would choose a new vette over a used 911.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 GS or Porsche 997 Carrera S

Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by philip_g
I think the elephant in the room that needs to be addressed is resale value, I think the vette will depreciate a lot more.
Yes. That's because the 8 year old P car will have already depreciated
Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 PM
RocketShip!!
8th Gear

I have had many Porsches throughout the years. Had a 94 911 turbo that I sold last year this time. Have had new and used. Got first vette a few years ago(an 88) and now have an 09 base model. I don't understand the build quality people think is better with porsche. The reliability of both has been about the same, but a little better with the vette. Interior in all Porsches I have had rips and needs to be replaced. My vette's interior have not torn and are ok. The 88 had original interior when bought an dran it for 2 years before totally redid the whole car. Interior was in better shape than any porsche I had!!! Love porsche and vette's and almost bought new 911 2 weeks ago, but now prefer the vette and will get a c7. I owned a repair shop where we specialized in porsche, and maintenance on a vette is much better. Last thing, vette is much more car than a cayman or boxster. In my book not even a comparison. They are wanna be porsche's!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had owned an 02 turbo about 10 years ago and it drove flawless and kept it for about 5 years. Maintenance was not too bad, nothing too exaggerated , but then again, I only put about 5k mi yearly.........

IMHO , I would not hesitant to choose a 911 over a grand sport ......... However, if it were between the c6z or base 997, it would be zo6 all the way through and through....,conversely, I would choose the 997 over the C7..

Quick Reply: 2013 GS or Porsche 997 Carrera S