C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust resonance rattling rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Thndr
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust resonance rattling rear bumper

Yet again I find myself battling a horrid rattle. This time its the exhaust, under load at around 1100-2000 rpm. The actual rattling is coming from the behind the trunk latch area on the outside of the car. It is not the exhaust itself. Has anyone ran into this problem? Ive looked into the void and there is nothing back there, I tied up some lose wires, but I just dont see anything that could be rattling. Its a very loud metal on metal sound. I have a carbon fiber rear splitter, so the middle supports that commonly rattle are not there. All of the hangers are good, and the exhaust is not contacting the car in any spots.

The car is hardly stock. Blown stroker motor with headers and offroad x into B&B fusions. Its most definitely the exhaust drone causing the rattle, I assume I can add cats and reduce the drone to hopefully alleviate it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is one rattle that has completely stopped me from enjoying the car.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

If it is a resonance problem something has to be vibrating to make the noise.

Sounds as if you have tracked the usual mention spots for noise.

Would be nice if you had access to a dyno just to be able to inspect the rear if the noise can be repulcated.

Will the noise be produced if just revving the motor while in neutral?

How about the license plate/frame?

Have you checked the screws around the hatch weatherstripping? I can not remember if they have washers.

Last edited by Boomer111; 04-27-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust resonance rattling rear bumper