C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bluetooth Question

I have a IPhone 4, when you pair it with Bluetooth in a 2012 C6 will it download all contacts or will I have to individually store my contacts via voice commands one by one. Hoping I can just say call "Dad" and it will dial the number from the downloaded contacts.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm wondering myself.Haven't figured it out yet either.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong but don't think it will do that. You have to input them by name and not necessarily by the name you have stored in the phone. I did a few of them when I first got the car but have to admit by now forget exactly how I did it and even forget the exact name I entered....lol.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 PM
1911colt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In order to load my contacts from my phone to the car, I had to store each one individually and it would only store 30 numbers.The guy from OnStar that talked me thru it was surprised that a "high end" Corvette had such an outmoded system..
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Contacts are stored one at a time to the phone in OnStar. You must use the OnStar phone to make calls. Ford has had the ability to download your entire phone book thru their Sync system. There is no integrated phone, just your cell. New Cadillacs also have this ability.

So, if you don't load number into OnStar phone, you must manually make a call from your cell phone, then the Bluetooth will take over.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the On Star service included in the purchase of the vehicle or is the an extra yearly cost? If it is an extra cost and you pass on there service will you still be able to make calls via bluetooth?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need On Star to input and store a phone number.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Is the On Star service included in the purchase of the vehicle or is the an extra yearly cost? If it is an extra cost and you pass on there service will you still be able to make calls via bluetooth?
You get either 3 or 6 "free" months depending on the trim level.
OnStar and Bluetooth do not peacefully coexist - I'll report back after my freebee Onstar expires in a month. I've paired my cell phone and the dumb system makes me decide what I want to do at each call origination = bluetooth or onstar. Very annoying ...
Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 AM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nah, you guys are overthinking it.

Just used the phone to do the work. No need to load the contacts into the vette. Here's what you do......pair the iphone, then you can say BLUETHOOTH, then you say VOICE...... and then you can directly use the voice dial functions of the phone....like to say CALL Bill Smith........ If you want to say CALL DAD....then you need to teach your phone who DAD is. All phones can do that.

This works both on my 2009 vette and my 2011 tahoe, and works with my iphone 5. Wifes iphone 4, and even worked with my vintage moto razr before i got the apple.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by coryvte

Just used the phone to do the work. No need to load the contacts into the vette. Here's what you do......pair the iphone, then you can say BLUETHOOTH, then you say VOICE...... and then you can directly use the voice dial functions of the phone....like to say CALL Bill Smith........ If you want to say CALL DAD....then you need to teach your phone who DAD is. All phones can do that.

This works both on my 2009 vette and my 2011 tahoe, and works with my iphone 5. Wifes iphone 4, and even worked with my vintage moto razr before i got the apple.
x2

I have Android (hate Apple) but the process is exactly as he said.

This car is not like my previous car (Audi) where it downloaded all the contacts to the system. Either system though if you wanted to truly do voice dialing you had to store the contacts manually (e.g. say the name and number to associate with). I just do that with all the people I frequently call (usually less than 10) and you're set.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

In order to load my contacts from my phone to the car, I had to store each one individually and it would only store 30 numbers.The guy from OnStar that talked me thru it was surprised that a "high end" Corvette had such an outmoded system..
Wow.Even a friggin Hyundai system allows downloading of all the contacts,quick and easy with an IPHONE.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Bluetooth in my Vette SUCKS compared to bluetooth in our GMC Terrain Denali. Vette bluetooth is primitive. Denali bluetooth is state-of-the-art.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Wow.Even a friggin Hyundai system allows downloading of all the contacts,quick and easy with an IPHONE.
I could care less. My old Audi would download the address book but still found it quicker to just find the entry on the phone and swipe to call. Much easier. With the Vette I don't feel I'm missing much.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
jrjjrj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least you guys can get your bluetooth to work. My iPhone 4s won't pair to my 2011 couple.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by coryvte

I tried this with no luck. Are you giving the call command thru the Bluetooth or directly to the iPhone?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
Contacts are stored one at a time to the phone in OnStar. You must use the OnStar phone to make calls. Ford has had the ability to download your entire phone book thru their Sync system. There is no integrated phone, just your cell. New Cadillacs also have this ability.

So, if you don't load number into OnStar phone, you must manually make a call from your cell phone, then the Bluetooth will take over.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQVelocityyellow
Bluetooth in my Vette SUCKS compared to bluetooth in our GMC Terrain Denali. Vette bluetooth is primitive. Denali bluetooth is state-of-the-art.
I totally agree the bluetooth I had in my '11 Acadia Denali was leaps & bounds ahead of the system in my "13 vette
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to load the contacts in the car that you want to call using the voice commands. You do not need On Star to call them. If you are Bluetooth connected and. Use the call button on your steering wheel you can use a voice command to call through your cell phone. If you have On Star minutes you can use the call button on your mirror to call through the On Star phone. Be aware that the minutes you purchase for On Star have an expiration date so if you don't use them they will disappear..... So I guess you are only renting the minutes.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:26 AM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
I tried this with no luck. Are you giving the call command thru the Bluetooth or directly to the iPhone?
Yes on both...sorry...but it is both.
Bluetooth is a communications protcol. When you push the button on the wheel, it waits for you to tell it which protocal, Bluetooth or onstar. When you say Bluetooth, it links with your device that has previously been paired. It will then respond with "Bluetooth Ready" at which point you can do many things....I prefer to say "voice" which then connects to my phone and confirms by saying " ok, accessing corys phone", "corys phone" is saod in my voice from when i had to name thehone during the pairing process. It then allows me to voice dial. This voice dial is performed by the phone because it is linked by bluetooth and in voice mode.

Get notified of new replies

To Bluetooth Question

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Question