C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Boy's Dream Come True... :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A Boy's Dream Come True... :-)

Okay...Friday evening I'm kicked back in my recliner when an odd minivan pulls into my driveway. It was a fellow I've known casually for a few years with his son. I had no idea what they wanted but they do lawn care, tree trimming, etc. and have done a few things for me - very nice folks. They are both from Peru - the dad's been here for several years but the son only came about 3 years ago. We chit-chatted a few minutes when the dad said he wanted to ask me a favor: The next evening was the boy's senior prom and he wanted to know if I would be willing to deliver him to the venue in my Corvette. The school where the boy goes has developed a tradition where the kids try to show up in something unusual, very nice, or whatever - everyone tries to out-do the others. I told him I'd be glad to. Dad wanted to know what I would charge him. I said that prom delivery was complimentary.

So they show up at my house Saturday evening at the appropriate time (my car freshly washed & waxed and read to go) only the boy has a date! Holy Smoke! I have no idea what I was thinking... For whatever reason I was thinking he was meeting a date there (or had no date...) and it was just going to be me dropping him off. After some conferencing in English and Spanish ( ) the girl rode with me and the boy with the dad until we were just a couple blocks from the prom location (about 25 miles from my house). I honestly think they didn't know a Corvette didn't have a back seat...

I had decided that I'd take the top off and the girl could sit in the boy's lap. We got this took care of (still a few blocks away) and started down the street. Very awkward! Also very lame looking... When we get close enough for me to scope out the situation I made a quick change to the plan. The drop off "red carpet" point was in front of the prom spot with all of the folks being delivered having to turn a corner a half block away - and there was several blocks of cars down the other street waiting.

We stopped a block from the turn everyone was having to make (on a side street away from everyone - nobody seeing or paying attention to us) and I asked the boy if he had a driver's license. Nope... But he said he could drive. I was a little hesitant but from the times I've been around him I know he's not a wild or disrespectful kid. I got out, had the boy get behind the wheel and told him if he bumped into anything he would be mowing my yard for the rest of his life. The procession was only moving about 1 mile per hour or less - a car would pull up and stop, it would take a minute or two for the kids to get out & have their picture made, etc. I walked up to the corner and asked if "we" could cut in line - no problem... So off I go the next half block to wait for them to get to the drop off point - maybe 200-250 folks were standing around watching the show.

Boy pulls up to the drop off point, stops, gets out and goes around to open the door for his date, out she steps and cameras are snapping picitures like crazy. Everyone was watching them and after they start for the door I just stepped up to get my car. Worked out well! The boy only got to drive about a block and a half but I'm sure it thrilled him and he was a hit.

I was thinking about when I was going to the prom in my dad's '77 Olds Delta 88... Oh, my God! How I would have liked having a Vette! Even if it was just for a couple blocks... Dammit, I wish I had known me when I was 17 years old!

America's a great place, ain't it?

Oh, had to add this - I suspect the boy will be buying a new Vette some day...

Last edited by Supercrewbear; 04-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM
HRS KLR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome story. They will remember that night forever.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

nice... great story.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM
doubledime
Pro

WOW! Great story. Made his day for sure.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

it certainly is...very cool thing to do !
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM
strawboss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

damn nice of you bro!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Great story and what a nice gesture from you. A memory of a lifetime.....Hopefully in a few years, he will be sharing his first post as the kid who got to ride in a vette to the prom.

Congrats. Too bad you get no free lawn care for life. Hahahaha
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Supercrewbear...... Great story and thanks so much for relating in detail. So nice to see a hardworking young man like this get treated with the respect you showed him. I'm sure this has meant a lot to this young man...!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM
jkbronco
Instructor

Very nice - cool pictures as well I hope the young couple got a set of them.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Great story!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by franman69
nice... great story.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

that's awesome!! I would have also thrown him the keys.
Great going
Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 PM
chiromed0
Advanced

Great story and you're a great guy. However, I hope nobody ever asks me to do the same...I'm probably not as nice as you.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 453 Likes on 229 Posts

Nice story. Kids will remember that one for a long time.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Really a great thing to do for somebody.I sure you made the kids night.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 AM
Fvoelling
Advanced

Cool story, and super nice of you! I take it your vette is an auto.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Run N. Gun
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a great story!!

[high-five] for helping that young man be the 'star of the show'. That's just good stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To A Boy's Dream Come True... :-)

Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

great story and trusting

I had an 4th gen fbody for my prom way back when. Not too shabby for 17/18. Sweet story and very nice of you.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 AM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Wow, that's outstanding. What a guy!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 AM
C5-JIM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Prom date

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear
Okay...Friday evening I'm kicked back in my recliner when an odd minivan pulls into my driveway. It was a fellow I've known casually for a few years with his son. I had no idea what they wanted but they do lawn care, tree trimming, etc. and have done a few things for me - very nice folks. They are both from Peru - the dad's been here for several years but the son only came about 3 years ago. We chit-chatted a few minutes when the dad said he wanted to ask me a favor: The next evening was the boy's senior prom and he wanted to know if I would be willing to deliver him to the venue in my Corvette. The school where the boy goes has developed a tradition where the kids try to show up in something unusual, very nice, or whatever - everyone tries to out-do the others. I told him I'd be glad to. Dad wanted to know what I would charge him. I said that prom delivery was complimentary.

So they show up at my house Saturday evening at the appropriate time (my car freshly washed & waxed and read to go) only the boy has a date! Holy Smoke! I have no idea what I was thinking... For whatever reason I was thinking he was meeting a date there (or had no date...) and it was just going to be me dropping him off. After some conferencing in English and Spanish ( ) the girl rode with me and the boy with the dad until we were just a couple blocks from the prom location (about 25 miles from my house). I honestly think they didn't know a Corvette didn't have a back seat...

I had decided that I'd take the top off and the girl could sit in the boy's lap. We got this took care of (still a few blocks away) and started down the street. Very awkward! Also very lame looking... When we get close enough for me to scope out the situation I made a quick change to the plan. The drop off "red carpet" point was in front of the prom spot with all of the folks being delivered having to turn a corner a half block away - and there was several blocks of cars down the other street waiting.

We stopped a block from the turn everyone was having to make (on a side street away from everyone - nobody seeing or paying attention to us) and I asked the boy if he had a driver's license. Nope... But he said he could drive. I was a little hesitant but from the times I've been around him I know he's not a wild or disrespectful kid. I got out, had the boy get behind the wheel and told him if he bumped into anything he would be mowing my yard for the rest of his life. The procession was only moving about 1 mile per hour or less - a car would pull up and stop, it would take a minute or two for the kids to get out & have their picture made, etc. I walked up to the corner and asked if "we" could cut in line - no problem... So off I go the next half block to wait for them to get to the drop off point - maybe 200-250 folks were standing around watching the show.

Boy pulls up to the drop off point, stops, gets out and goes around to open the door for his date, out she steps and cameras are snapping picitures like crazy. Everyone was watching them and after they start for the door I just stepped up to get my car. Worked out well! The boy only got to drive about a block and a half but I'm sure it thrilled him and he was a hit.

I was thinking about when I was going to the prom in my dad's '77 Olds Delta 88... Oh, my God! How I would have liked having a Vette! Even if it was just for a couple blocks... Dammit, I wish I had known me when I was 17 years old!

America's a great place, ain't it?

Oh, had to add this - I suspect the boy will be buying a new Vette some day...
You are 1 in a million and you will be rewarded later in life.
C5-JIM

Quick Reply: A Boy's Dream Come True... :-)