C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 C6 - Random SCS issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM
vaelon2007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 C6 - Random SCS issue

Excuse the language, or don't, I don't care. I am just so tired of random **** going on with this damn car. I had the stock plugs changed about a year ago to NGK TR55's still using the same stock wires. No issues. About 7 months later, I did a head/cam swap myself. Afterwards, sporadically, I'd get a SCS flash up for about 2 seconds and disappear. No issues other than that randomly happening. Last week, I decided to change the wires out since they needed to be replaced (100k miles and some rough motor issues). I get the MSD's hook them up, and guess what, SCS messages all the time to the point where my alternator apparently isn't charging the battery at all and today on my way home from work, I barely made it to a golf course to park. Voltage went down to like 8v. So after reading ALL these freaking threads on this issue, the issues vary everywhere. I tried purchasing stock ACDELCO 41-110 plugs with MSD wires, NOPE. Same error. Went and purchased stock GM plug wires which are the ACDELCO wires, I even put the GM plug wire shields on them. Same thing. So right now, my ****ing piece of **** car is sitting in a gas station unable to charge its ****ing battery because this all started when I changed my wires to MSDs. The battery is 2 months old, cables are clean. In about 20 minutes I'm going to charge the battery as much as I can and attempt to make it home so I can rip the alternator out and check it, even though I know that isn't the problem. So my question is this, well, it's two questions actually.
#1) WHAT THE **** DO I DO
#2) Anybody want a 05 with stage 2 heads/cam with 3k stall for cheap?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

maybe it is just a coincidence. I would not expect plug wires to affect the battery charging.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
pleadingbark
Racer

Scs?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Alternators can fail ya know. Thats what it sounds like.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by pleadingbark
Scs?
Service charging system.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Does sound like the alternator or between the alternator and battery.

But with theses new cars and having done some mods I really do not know other than what's been already said.

Good luck and maybe you need another perspective involved.

Last edited by Boomer111; 04-22-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Check to make sure you don't have a short somewhere. Check resistance.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM
pleadingbark
Racer

Originally Posted by vaelon2007
Excuse the language, or don't, I don't care. I am just so tired of random **** going on with this damn car. I had the stock plugs changed about a year ago to NGK TR55's still using the same stock wires. No issues. About 7 months later, I did a head/cam swap myself. Afterwards, sporadically, I'd get a SCS flash up for about 2 seconds and disappear. No issues other than that randomly happening. Last week, I decided to change the wires out since they needed to be replaced (100k miles and some rough motor issues). I get the MSD's hook them up, and guess what, SCS messages all the time to the point where my alternator apparently isn't charging the battery at all and today on my way home from work, I barely made it to a golf course to park. Voltage went down to like 8v. So after reading ALL these freaking threads on this issue, the issues vary everywhere. I tried purchasing stock ACDELCO 41-110 plugs with MSD wires, NOPE. Same error. Went and purchased stock GM plug wires which are the ACDELCO wires, I even put the GM plug wire shields on them. Same thing. So right now, my ****ing piece of **** car is sitting in a gas station unable to charge its ****ing battery because this all started when I changed my wires to MSDs. The battery is 2 months old, cables are clean. In about 20 minutes I'm going to charge the battery as much as I can and attempt to make it home so I can rip the alternator out and check it, even though I know that isn't the problem. So my question is this, well, it's two questions actually.
#1) WHAT THE **** DO I DO
#2) Anybody want a 05 with stage 2 heads/cam with 3k stall for cheap?
I bet you pinched a wire.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Sounds like the alternator to me. Let us know how it checks out.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 PM
vaelon2007
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
maybe it is just a coincidence. I would not expect plug wires to affect the battery charging.
You clearly have not read the hundreds of posts on the issue. I was hoping to get some responses from the guys that have ran into this exact situation from using NGK's to ACDELCO 41-110 plugs.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by vaelon2007
You clearly have not read the hundreds of posts on the issue. I was hoping to get some responses from the guys that have ran into this exact situation from using NGK's to ACDELCO 41-110 plugs.
Curious, if you read hundreds of threads concerning issues with NGK's why did you use them. I've read about it too and would never consider using them because of what I've read.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 AM
vaelon2007
Advanced

Originally Posted by EVRose
Curious, if you read hundreds of threads concerning issues with NGK's why did you use them. I've read about it too and would never consider using them because of what I've read.
I read about the issue just recently. If you read what I stated above, I didn't have this issue with the NGK TR55's and my stock wires. Now even with putting the NGK TR55's with new stock wires I'm still having the issue. That is what is driving me crazy.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

#2) No, it's a convertible
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

sounds like something related to what you may have unintentionally done w. the swap. but at going on 9 years old, and over 100K miles, that alternator sounds like it may be due, or something around it such as wires leading to parts of charging system.

is there any other non-stock load you put on the electrical/charging system---new nav, stereo, sub, alarm, blendmount, ipod, etc.?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:31 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

dumb ?, have you taken it to a shop to have it checked? looks like you need some tecno guys to do their magic....did you have it dyno tune after the swap of h/c?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I put on the MSD's with no issues whatsoever, I also believe it might be your alternator.

I did have charging issues with TR6's (as described by many threads). I changed out the TR6's to the LS9 factory plugs (because of FI) and the charging issues went away immediately.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 PM
vaelon2007
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
sounds like something related to what you may have unintentionally done w. the swap. but at going on 9 years old, and over 100K miles, that alternator sounds like it may be due, or something around it such as wires leading to parts of charging system.

is there any other non-stock load you put on the electrical/charging system---new nav, stereo, sub, alarm, blendmount, ipod, etc.?
Nope. Still sporting stock nav/stereo etc.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 C6 - Random SCS issue

Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM
vaelon2007
Advanced

Originally Posted by j_digi454
I put on the MSD's with no issues whatsoever, I also believe it might be your alternator.

I did have charging issues with TR6's (as described by many threads). I changed out the TR6's to the LS9 factory plugs (because of FI) and the charging issues went away immediately.
I was going to try and purchase the LS9 factory plugs, even though I just tried the ACDelco 41-110s, after I test the alternator and see.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

can you get the car towed home? when you get it there you can start checking stuff without being rushed. I would start with the battery & ground cables. check down at the starter & solenoid, sometimes the connectors melt/break. then check the wires at the alternator. the unit & battery can be checked at a parts store. you may also want to check the horn, see if it blows. I remember hearing that the alternator and horn share a fuse ? and finally I have heard that some cars don't like the ngk spark plugs.

I know you are pissed, but outside of paying some monkey to start throwing parts and misdiagnosing your car, get it home relax and take your time.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
vaelon2007
Advanced

Originally Posted by truckplay
can you get the car towed home? when you get it there you can start checking stuff without being rushed. I would start with the battery & ground cables. check down at the starter & solenoid, sometimes the connectors melt/break. then check the wires at the alternator. the unit & battery can be checked at a parts store. you may also want to check the horn, see if it blows. I remember hearing that the alternator and horn share a fuse ? and finally I have heard that some cars don't like the ngk spark plugs.

I know you are pissed, but outside of paying some monkey to start throwing parts and misdiagnosing your car, get it home relax and take your time.
Yea man, I finally got it home after pulling over 3 times and charging it with my girlfriends car. Horn works. I checked the 1 power cable on the alternator. I'm going to put the original plugs I had in with the new stock wires I just got, to get it back to the original state it was in before everything went south. I'm going to check the alternator by putting 1 jumper cable on the positive terminal of battery and the other onto the power terminal on the alternator and check the voltage at the battery terminals, if its below 13 then its the starter solenoid, if its at 14+ like it should, then its not the alternator. At least that is what I read from a reputable guy on here. I just really have a hard time believing my alternator went out at the exact time I started these changes. I've already thrown money at this like a monkey. 70$ for msd wires, 70$ for delco plugs, 100$ for stock gm wires. Its ****ing ridiculous.

Quick Reply: 05 C6 - Random SCS issue