C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ Pass Placement?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default EZ Pass Placement?

I know it is called something different in every state, but I am referencing the electronic device for automatic toll collection.

I have an external device on my other cars, but my front plate on the vette is not flat, so that leaves me with only the inside window mount option. I really don't want the unsightly white box to be viewable from outside the car.

I was thinking about mounting it behind my inspection sticker. That way it won't be seen from out side the car, but I am not sure if it will function behind the sticker. Has anyone tried this with success or failure? I really don't want to put it behind the mirror as you see this big white thing from outside the car.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have the ez pass yet? I'm asking because i just got new ones for my other 2 cars and they are really small now. If you mount it behind the rearview mirror you will never see it, and if you mount it a little higher the black in the windshield will block it from the outside.... I have the old big one on my vette behind the mirror and it doesn't bother me...

PS If you have the big one already, maybe if you call them you can get the smaller one?? not sure...

PSS If you want i can go take a pic of the smaller one...

Last edited by vig1116; 03-25-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I place mine by my rear view. The device is attached by two small clear plastic velcro strips that allow for an easy (one second) removal of device and the velcro strips are nearly invisible.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I know it is called something different in every state, but I am referencing the electronic device for automatic toll collection.

I have an external device on my other cars, but my front plate on the vette is not flat, so that leaves me with only the inside window mount option. I really don't want the unsightly white box to be viewable from outside the car.

I was thinking about mounting it behind my inspection sticker. That way it won't be seen from out side the car, but I am not sure if it will function behind the sticker. Has anyone tried this with success or failure? I really don't want to put it behind the mirror as you see this big white thing from outside the car.
I mounted mine right under the rearview mirror. Its supposed to be mounted to the left side but still in back if the mirror in Illinois. However that position can impede mirror adjustment. Im going to spray paint the bottom of the transponder black so its not so noticeable ours are white.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
cpmatthew
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a suction cup mount for mine because I didn't want to stick the Velcro strips to the glass. I mounted it right behind the rear view mirror on the right side. I can't see it while I'm driving, and the mount is black, so it is less noticeable from outside.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 PM
blkgs
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my console, that thing is ugly. Hate the way it looks from the outside, just hold it up when I pass thru
Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Same here.
Originally Posted by blkgs
In my console, that thing is ugly. Hate the way it looks from the outside, just hold it up when I pass thru
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

I mounted mine under the hood, on top of the cold air intake, and it works perfectly. I used it in DE for years that way, and it still works when I drive up from Florida to either DE or WV too.

Last edited by Seadawg; 03-25-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

On the right side behind mirror. Doesn't bother me. Between dump stickers, inspection stickers, and those yellow visor warning labels, it's just a non issue.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by blkgs
Originally Posted by dvilin
Same here.

If I was driving the tollways every day, I might think differently.
If I forget to take mine out for a toll station in Illinois, most of the time it works even in the console, stored with the "Out" side up.

In illinois, they search the I-Pass records before sending out tickets, so an occasional "miss" doesn't seem to be a problem.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I mounted mine under the hood, on the driver side closest the the windshield, pulled 2 pins off the hood liner, used the supplied velcro strips and I haven't seen it since. Been there for 4.5 years with no issues and no missed tolls.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

we have fast trac here in the SF area.. I stuck mine in the glove box way out of sight..
Never an issue...
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM
MikeMaj82
Racer

Mick Jagger said it best: "Paint it Black"
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey

Mine fit neatly just right of the rear view mirror way up out of sight.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW, i never thought under the hood would work. looks like i'll be moving mine soon. Heres a pic of the newer passes. half the size almost....
Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I used 3M black decal vinyl to change the EZ pass from white to black, and since i only use the pass when I travel in the US, I don't have it mounted using the velcro supplied.
I made a bracket that holds the pass when I use it.
I may just do what Eppieguy did, under the hood.
I'd sure like to see a pic of where it's located. I'm a visual person, so a pic is better than the typed word

Can you get us a pic Epiieguy?????
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM
MikeMaj82
Racer

Given the fact that they ship a special bag with the pass, they made it seem like it would work as long as it was anywhere in the car.

Get notified of new replies

To EZ Pass Placement?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMaj82
Mick Jagger said it best: "Paint it Black"
Thats exactly what i did and put it behind the right of the mirror between the onstar box and the mirror mount and it looks like it belongs there.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Thats exactly what i did and put it behind the right of the mirror between the onstar box and the mirror mount and it looks like it belongs there.
Can you see it from outside the car?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

under the hood, eh?? I might have to give that a try. I can't stand looking at anything on the windshield, so I keep it in the console. I always take it out when passing through tolls to avoid any (possible) hassles, like where's your front plate, do you tinted windows? is that exhaust legal.....

Under the hood behind the liner is very interesting indeed.. anybody else (in NY area) have one setup like that??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EZ Pass Placement?