C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary!

I think all of the previous generation's body styles can be considered revolutionary from it's previous generation. Look at the C2 from C1, C3 from C2, and C4 from C3. The C5 is the exception. Don't get me wrong, I love the C5, but it's body style was no more than evolutionary from the C4. Under the C5's skin is a different story.

I can see the C6 chasis and internals being evolutionary but I'm ready for a bold new statement from the General in the body.

[Modified by Doughan, 4:28 PM 6/20/2002]
Old 06-20-2002, 06:37 PM
Tiger Shark
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (Doughan)

I can see the C6 chasis and internals being evolutionary but I'm ready for a bold new statement from the General in the body.
You're not alone, bro!
:cheers:
Old 06-20-2002, 08:01 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (Tiger Shark)

Even with lutz it wont happen. With lutz it may be more different, but it will still be "recognizable as a corvette", which you can read between the lines as "not revolutionary". Given how gm currently thinks, the success of the c5 pretty much guarantees this in my opinion. I think the autoweek drawings give a pretty good general idea of what it will finally be like, i.e. not revolutionary. Personally I would like something revolutionary if it would be similar to the Mosler MT900 - mid engined, low, scissor doors, very cool looking.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:15 PM
funshipone
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also agree with Doughan. I am waiting for C-6 vette, and I hope I won't be disappointed with same design. I hope for sure the interior is more like a sports car ala 360 Ferrari.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:03 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (Tiger Shark)

You're not alone, bro!
:cheers:

:yesnod:
Old 06-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Vette9d1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (NewVetteLover)

I wish they would make an edgy mix of the C2 and C4. If done right it would be awesome!
Old 06-21-2002, 12:27 AM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (NewVetteLover)

TripleBlack, you're probably right I'm afraid. It's hard to change up a design too much that is as popular as the C5. I wish that some of the original thinking that went into the great designs of the past could live again in a bold break-away design.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:12 AM
RYBSB
Instructor

Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (Vette9d1)

I wish they would make an edgy mix of the C2 and C4. If done right it would be awesome!
:yesnod: :cool: :yesnod:

I would like to see a mixing of the C4 style, as things in GM are getting pretty angular, they could mix the semi angular C4 with the mild curves and angles of the beautiful C2, it could be a great design. I love all Vette's, but the C4's and C2's are my favorites.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:40 AM
Illini Steve
Drifting

I disagree that all of the previous generation changes were revolutionary, but that the C5 was evolutionary. Sure if you compare a 57 to a 66 to an 81 they appear completely different, but if you look at every single model year there is an obvious evolution from one generation to the next. The 61 debuts the "duck tail" rear end of the '63. The '68 continues the chrome bumper and gill look of the '67 but with a more Coke bottle shape. The C3 gradually evolves from the chrome bumpered '68 to the plastic '82 which is then smoothed out into the '84, which is further smoothed into the C5.

The key to the C6 will be what styling points they will keep and what will be new. I think that the general shape will be evolutionary: C5 but with more crisp edges. A revolutionary item may be fixed headlights.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:07 PM
DucaT
Instructor

Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (Illini Steve)

You guys are nuts.......

I think the C5 is a totally kick butt car.....the styling i mean.

We all know that the C6 is going to be based on the C5 underpinnings. You can only do so much to modify an existing design. At some point you need a clean sheet to design from, but that will clearly not happen with the C6. If it aint broke..........

Of course the C6 will be an improvement. But revolutionary..... no......

If you want something LIKE a ferrari, then go buy a ferrari. But leave my vette alone. I want the near 50 50 weight balance, rear wheel drive, engine in the front V8, with the corvette styling cues at a reasnable price.
Change too much and you don't really have a corvette anymore.
Pony cars are Pony cars, Porsches are Porsches and Vettes are Vettes!!

C6 engineer team, if you're out there listening..........keep it as a true Vette!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 02:52 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (DucaT)

Steve, I see your point. The degree of the changes is in the eye of the beholder.

Duca, part of the Corvette experience is never being satisfied, pushing the envlelpe and trying new things. The 57 Corvette was very popular. Suppose GM was satisfied and didn't change it. No independent suspension, big blocks, midyears, the list goes on. The C5 is a wonderful car. I don't think GM needs to start at square one and build a completely new car from the ground up. Take what's good with the C5 and build on it. I'm just saying it would be nice to see some styling "outside the box" that gave us the C2s and C3s.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:57 AM
thevetteman
Advanced

That would be kind of KOOOOOLLLL!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 06-23-2002, 11:16 AM
funshipone
Racer

I do own a Ferrari 308 GTS QV , but I want to purchase a new C-6 convert when it comes out. I am hoping the interior is more sport car and less plastic looking along with other improvements. Has any one heard when new C-6 will be in show rooms?
Old 06-23-2002, 11:50 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (funshipone)

Whatever it is, it's a done deal. The design is frozen, so we'll just have to wait for some spy shots in the next year or so.

Duke
Old 06-30-2002, 06:19 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 867 Likes on 420 Posts

Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (Vette9d1)

So you want them to bring back the C3?
Old 06-30-2002, 09:20 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary! (KingRat)

So you want them to bring back the C3?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary!

Quick Reply: C6 Body Style: I want revolutionary!