C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Display Blinking

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:20 AM
bushjc
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Climate Control Display Blinking

After about 10 minutes of driving this morning, I looked down and noticed that the LCD display on the Climate control was blinking. It wasn't doing it when I first started the car, because I had set it to heat up a bit (it was 46 outside). The entire display is having a fast blink - with the unit either off (just outside temp) or on. I pulled over and shut down the engine and restarted. No effect, still blinking. Any ideas anyone? - Thanks in advance! - BTW - 2008 Base Coupe 3lt
The following users liked this post:
Earl Muench (09-06-2020)
Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had that exact same problem on my '09 from time to time.
It just shows up, and then goes away as mysteriously as it appears.

It does it less (not stopped completely) since I changed some of my habits:

I've tried to wait for a minute after starting the car to make any c.c. changes, because it seems like it happened when I made quick changes to the temp or other settings. I also shut the c.c off when I shut the car off, then wait a minute to turn it on after start up.
See if that makes any difference for you.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM
bushjc
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did a quick google search, which led me back to this forum , so I have been reading some on the issue. Looks like "the baby" will need a visit to the GM doctor. Already called the dealer and setup her appointment. Gotta luv that extended warranty!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery and rebooting the cars computerized systems. First thing I do when something doesn't work right. I have a 95% success rate.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by bushjc
Did a quick google search, which led me back to this forum , so I have been reading some on the issue. Looks like "the baby" will need a visit to the GM doctor. Already called the dealer and setup her appointment. Gotta luv that extended warranty!
The problem seems to have been more common on earlier model years. You don't hear about it as often these days.

Mine started out by blinking, and graduated to other misbehavior like responding to the wrong buttons and displaying Klingon-looking symbols. Eventually the display quit altogether (though the HVAC continued to work). This was over the course of months.

Replaced the unit and it's worked fine for the last 5 years or so. I spoke to a dealer back then who claimed to have replaced hundreds of them.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 AM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had my 2013 Grand Sport for a little over a month and it just started doing the blinking thing. I guess I'll take it to the dealer.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:02 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

part # 25938052

Part going bad and needs to be replaced.

Elmer
Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not 100% certain but I was told the blinking means the system needs service. Possibly a freon leak.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:33 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one souurce...

http://www.corvettesalvage.com/index...oducts_id=1952
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by uwec86
I've had my 2013 Grand Sport for a little over a month and it just started doing the blinking thing. I guess I'll take it to the dealer.
Hey uwec86,
If you want me to check your VIN for any open concerns just private message me! Keep us all posted on what happens at the dealer.
Kelly J. -Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 PM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Try disconnecting the battery and rebooting the cars computerized systems. First thing I do when something doesn't work right. I have a 95% success rate.
I also think this would be the first thing I would do. The problem might go away.

Roll both windows down, then pull the negative cable. Leave the cable off for a couple of minutes, then reconnect. Re-index the windows, (roll them up and hold the button for a few seconds). You just might be able to keep your car out of the hands of the local Chevy mechanics.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Kanf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just happened on my 427 a few weeks ago. Started out blinking, then not turning on and off, then the klingon symbols and it was all intermittent. Took it in to the dealer and they said it threw up a code and they just replaced the head unit part.

Seems to be ok now.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The blinking on the climate control panel has resurfaced so I took it to the dealership. In addition to the blinking the auto control stopped working, On the way back from Daytona,two hour ride, the driver side was blowing hot air and the passenger side was blowing cool air. They replaced the control unit twice they've replaced some actuators and we're still getting a lot of error codes. My new 13 GS has been in the shop for four days and I'm driving a Chevy Cruze...I don't like it. The dealership has been on the phone with GM several times and so far nothing they have suggested has fixed any of the issues. They now think it may have something to do with the rollers in the back under the dash someplace. Four days without my car is a long time.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

My 13 GS has now been in the shop with my AC issue since the 22nd (that's 10 days for those of you keeping score at home.) Add the two days it was in the shop for the same issue and we're up to 12 days…three more in the Florida lemon law kicks in. This really sucks!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Yellow 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my 13 GS at the dealer today for the same problem.They replaced and reprogrammed the unit. Less than 400 miles on the car.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 PM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

GM has a case open on mine but no answers yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Climate Control Display Blinking

Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Had mine replaced under warranty in the 08 I had...blinking,blinking.Go get it warrantied and let those guys figure it out while you're driving. OH,I just saw you have an 08 too so probably out of warranty.I'd call GM customer service to see if they can help.I had an 8000 mile 08 before this 13 GS and I called them on a whim for my roof latches that were squeaking and making all kinds of racket.They arranged to have it fixed under warranty even though I was out.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 07-31-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:08 AM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Update:
The 13 GS I purchased 145 days ago has been in the shop for 27 days for the Climate Control issue. I replaced the Nav Radio with an Alpine which Chevy wants me to leave out of the car for the next five days so we can see if the fix worked (“final” fix: replace the roller system). I’m driving my car around with a HUGE hole in the dash, pry marks below the ashtray and buttons that have too much play in them. After five days, if the AC is working, I get to give them the car for at least another day to put the radio back in and fix the trim pieces. This has not been a fun experience but what should I expect from Obama Motors. I was hoping the company would be doing better after screwing the bond holders and giving the company to the union, I guess not.

More to follow…
Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by uwec86
Update:
The 13 GS I purchased 145 days ago has been in the shop for 27 days for the Climate Control issue. I replaced the Nav Radio with an Alpine which Chevy wants me to leave out of the car for the next five days so we can see if the fix worked (“final” fix: replace the roller system). I’m driving my car around with a HUGE hole in the dash, pry marks below the ashtray and buttons that have too much play in them. After five days, if the AC is working, I get to give them the car for at least another day to put the radio back in and fix the trim pieces. This has not been a fun experience but what should I expect from Obama Motors. I was hoping the company would be doing better after screwing the bond holders and giving the company to the union, I guess not.

More to follow…
This is getting very close to a lemon law car...if you have kept good records.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Display Blinking