C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost car in transit from factory

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Your Post blows my mind - following up:

1. Why would the plant invest the labor to build un-ordered cars just to destroy the same?

2. What cars did 'you see yourself' being destroyed - models, etc?

3. How were they being destroyed - what method, when you saw them doing it at the plant?

4. How many did you see them do this to?

Thanks . . .
Was a Jeep plant in Brampton ON ( now in Toledo) Was two fully decked C7. I asked the plant manager at the time, he explained to me that these two were unspoken for by any dealers and the last two off the line for the year. They could not offer them at a discount to any one dealer as that wouldnt be fair to the other dealers. The new year was comming out so no dealer would want them at the new price. The had security watch 2 fork lifts total all parts of both vehicles.
I even asked the manager why they didnt raffle them off to employies with perfect attendance ( this was an issue during contract negotiations) he explained it wasnt part of the CAW /UAW contract and therefore couldnt be done.
I do alot of work in the auto plants they can be crazy places.
True story
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Additional info.
Average auto plant now is 1.2 Billion to build
I work usually in paint in the plants ,Ecoat ,base coat ,clear coat.Paint is about 700,000 of the 1.2 Billion
Our product is used in about 80% of the auto plants on the planet. Bowling Green uses our product but I have never been inside of it,others from our company cover that plant. They are in the middle of the retool and 2 of our people were in the plant last week.Now that I have purchased a vette I will make sure I get in LOL.
I actually called one of them to see if we were assisting with start up when the line starts to attempt to make cars, this seldom goes as the plant hopes.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Currently located in dealer's personal garage. And reported stolen.

Or how bout because the C6 is ending production, some GM exec hi-jacked it because the car was optioned the way his nephew wanted it.

Last edited by Rathmullan; 04-15-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's crazy

Originally Posted by Old Boot
Was a Jeep plant in Brampton ON ( now in Toledo) Was two fully decked C7. I asked the plant manager at the time, he explained to me that these two were unspoken for by any dealers and the last two off the line for the year. They could not offer them at a discount to any one dealer as that wouldnt be fair to the other dealers. The new year was comming out so no dealer would want them at the new price. The had security watch 2 fork lifts total all parts of both vehicles.
I even asked the manager why they didnt raffle them off to employies with perfect attendance ( this was an issue during contract negotiations) he explained it wasnt part of the CAW /UAW contract and therefore couldnt be done.
True story
Old 04-14-2013, 03:03 AM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by vig1116
That's crazy
I watched two new Acura CL S type's get crushed at the Honda plant by me here in OH back in mid 2000's. I purchase some R&D cars when they are finished and these two were ones that I had bought but they had one digit wrong on the vin plates vs MSO so they just destroyed the cars rather than fix the MSO's, and when I mean destroyed they crushed the entire car without removing a part! It was nuts!

Hard to say what happen the Z, I have never had a car not show up when I order it without my rep letting me know why but I have had major transit damage on a car and it was sent back to Chrysler instead of being dropped for me to fix. My guess is it was damaged in transit somewhere.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Maybe the dealer is on floor plan hold?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:12 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Report it as stolen to OnStart
Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It would be fun to run the VIN through a police computer and find out if it is currently registered somewhere...
Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
It would be fun to run the VIN through a police computer and find out if it is currently registered somewhere...
.........OR, maybe in two years. It might be traveling around Bowling Green on a manufacturer's plate right now, doing 360's at every intersection. :-)
Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Little
.........OR, maybe in two years. It might be traveling around Bowling Green on a manufacturer's plate right now, doing 360's at every intersection. :-)
Very true...if no info, a try again in a year or two would be fun...
Old 04-14-2013, 02:44 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Report it as stolen to OnStart
Old 04-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Bobcatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think one time they found a couple of train cars that had been sitting on some side tracks for several years that had some Crown Vic's that had been sitting in them since new. Think they had been sitting there for 10 or more years. I ordered a Z/28 one time that was built in Van Nuys and they shipped it by train to NC. Took about 6 months to get it. Come to find out it had made a detour to a couple of car shows on the way in.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

True story
Originally Posted by vig1116
That's crazy
Originally Posted by fasthwks
I watched two new Acura CL S type's get crushed at the Honda plant by me here in OH back in mid 2000's. I purchase some R&D cars when they are finished and these two were ones that I had bought but they had one digit wrong on the vin plates vs MSO so they just destroyed the cars rather than fix the MSO's, and when I mean destroyed they crushed the entire car without removing a part! It was nuts!

Hard to say what happen the Z, I have never had a car not show up when I order it without my rep letting me know why but I have had major transit damage on a car and it was sent back to Chrysler instead of being dropped for me to fix. My guess is it was damaged in transit somewhere.
The thing that so many people don't understand is the hoops that a business has to jump through because of Govt regulations. You and I see it as a $75k Corvette, However a minor infraction may end up costing the company more $$$ to try to salvage a profit by fixing the mistake than it does to take the tax write off by destroying the car.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
17Z
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

And, as curious as I am about what happens to the car that never shows up, with a production of 14,000 corvettes (I think) for the model year, a few dozen casualties
here and there doesn't amount to much. From the lower end of the food chain however,
they nickel and dime you to death for every dollar...complete different mentality for us.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ADIBELC6
GM VIS lists transaction data prep date sold retail show car etc just need last 8 of vin

Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM
ADIBELC6
Instructor

Got to love the conspiracy theories, but the car shows on page 5 of Corvette inventory. Sometimes it takes a few days to have cars or trucks to post on web sites. also when i did the vis the typo was not stolen but the 9th digit of the vin which is a check digit was incorrect in the original post

Last edited by ADIBELC6; 04-14-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Get notified of new replies

To Lost car in transit from factory

Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by ADIBELC6
Got to love the conspiracy theories, but the car shows on page 5 of Corvette inventory. Sometimes it takes a few days to have cars or trucks to post on web sites. also when i did the vis the typo was not stolen but the 9th digit of the vin which is a check digit was incorrect in the original post
the answer.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013yellowz06
And, as curious as I am about what happens to the car that never shows up, with a production of 14,000 corvettes (I think) for the model year, a few dozen casualties
here and there doesn't amount to much. From the lower end of the food chain however,
they nickel and dime you to death for every dollar...complete different mentality for us.
i would like one or all of those casualties please chevy. Let me know where and i'll pick them up....
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 PM
donzi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True story
Wow Thats going back over 20 yrs ago.. My next door neighbor worked on the line back then and doesn't recall anything like that happening.. I did all the burner maintenance there for the last 10 yrs even when it was the A.M.C. plant..Ed

Quick Reply: Lost car in transit from factory