C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 PM
AV8TOR536
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Brake fluid

Can I suck out brake fluid out of the holding tank and add new
fluid like the clutch?(ranger method)
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8TOR536
Although I'm not a materials / fluids engineer, I think it would be fair to assume that constant dilution would be better than old / dirty fluid. Likewise, it could never be expected to perform at the level of a fresh change.

If you track the car then more frequent changes would likely be the best route. However, for only street use maybe frequent dilution would likely be adequate. Maybe someone well versed in this science could back up or refute my opinion?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Certainly you'll be replacing some of the fluid, but I'm thinking you will also be allowing fresh (humid?) air into the reservoir each time, and some of that humidity will be absorbed into the fluid. So I'm not sure how much you would gain.

In order to completely replace the fluid, you need a tech2 or similar device to cycle the ABS system to get all the fluid out of there.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:02 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8TOR536

Does that not result in the new fresh fluid simply being only in the reservoir - and the old fluid being in all the lines through to the the calipers?

I'm not sure how that would change or improve anything?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Does that not result in the new fresh fluid simply being only in the resovoir - and the old fluid being in all the lines through to the the calipers?

I'm not sure how that would change or improve anything?
really need to properly bleed/flush/replace all the brake fluid...and use DOT 4. It is a two-person job...
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
really need to properly bleed/flush/replace all the brake fluid...and use DOT 4. It is a two-person job...
except that it can be done by one person using the gravity method. It just takes a lot longer. I bleed/flush/replace about every 2 years.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:45 AM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a a vaccuum pump that I use. Works well and is fairly quick.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

A MityVac can absolutely do it with one person.

I emptied the reservoir first and filled with fresh fluid.
Then started the bleed at the right rear, left rear, right front, left front.
I did it three times in two weeks to get the Fluid back to golden from black.
It has been 10K miles and the fluid id still the proper color.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:24 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The reason that we do the Ranger method on the clutch is that we cannot easily get to the bleeder at the slave cylinder to truly bleed the system. If we could do it that way, even Ranger would admit that it is a better way to do it. The bleeders at the brake calipers are very easy to get to, so pulling or pushing all the fluid through the system using these bleeders is the proper way to do it.
The following users liked this post:
Diamonddave60 (01-01-2023)
Old 04-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

For all practical purposes you can change the brake fluid yourself. I suggest you get some help at first from someone who knows what they're doing or at least get the shop manual or some good instructions to follow. It's important to bleed the brakes in the proper order and having a friend there to help is invaluable. Without someone there to help bleed the brakes I suggest you invest in a Motive Power Bleeder. I often use the Motive Power Bleeder simply to pressurize the system. It's worth noting to completely flush out the old fluid a Tech 2 tool is needed to 'exercise' the ABS circuits in the process. If you really want to fully purge the system you might want to have the dealership do it the first time.

IMO there are many decent fluids you can use including the GM Clutch/Brake fluid, Prestone, Red Line and others. I use Motul 600 clutch and brake fluid. Although my car is a dedicated track car I believe the same high performance characteristics (of Motul 600 fluif) that benefit my car on the track will benefit a street-driven car as well. I recommend Motul 600. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can change the reservoir fluid. It's better than doing nothing. Everytime you press the brakes, it takes a bit from the reservoir and mixes inline. Since you're under the hood anyways doing the clutch fluid every 2-3 weeks, why not do the brake reservoir? (only if the color has changed, if it's full clear don't bother)
The following users liked this post:
Lee Cromwell (12-31-2022)
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Spend $75 on a Motive Power Bleeder; awesome tool to have! Just did all four corners with two bleed screws per wheel (Wilwood setup) in 15mins the other night. This makes it a one person job and you get it done without error.
The following 2 users liked this post by LEAVINU:
Diamonddave60 (01-01-2023), Lee Cromwell (12-31-2022)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Spend $75 on a Motive Power Bleeder; awesome tool to have! Just did all four corners with two bleed screws per wheel (Wilwood setup) in 15mins the other night. This makes it a one person job and you get it done without error.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Way no hit all the high points. I would only add the idea of speed bleeders. These are bleed screws with a built in check valve so air can't get back into the system when bleeding and also makes this a one person job. The point to take away from this is brake fluid does not circulate through the system. To freshen it you have to flush it through.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

hey guys, thanks for the well-intended tips above (really)...

but it's a two person job for me 'cause I'm just inept at actually doing these things !
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Wouldn't happen to have the supplier & the Motive p/n handy for where you picked your Motive Power Bleeder up from would you? I use a MityVac right now and it takes me about 45 minutes. Never got around to buying a Motive but getting impatient....so time to go get one.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:19 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Wouldn't happen to have the supplier & the Motive p/n handy for where you picked your Motive Power Bleeder up from would you? I use a MityVac right now and it takes me about 45 minutes. Never got around to buying a Motive but getting impatient....so time to go get one.
Not sure if this link will take you to the search results but give it a try:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ower%20bleeder

I'm an Amazon fan.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fluid

Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I'm an Amazon fan.
Me too, even for auto parts.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Tech 2 tool?

Originally Posted by Wayne O
It's worth noting to completely flush out the old fluid a Tech 2 tool is needed to 'exercise' the ABS circuits in the process. If you really want to fully purge the system you might want to have the dealership do it the first time.
I'd like to know more about the flushing process. I've never had ABS on my cars or motorcycles before. I figured the ABS circuits had to be bled a little differently.
I'll search around for more info.

Mike
Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cratchet
I'd like to know more about the flushing process. I've never had ABS on my cars or motorcycles before. I figured the ABS circuits had to be bled a little differently.
I'll search around for more info.

Mike
Tech 2 can be found at the dealers and sometimes performance shops, but unless changing from stock fluid to something like RBF600 or Castrol SRF bleeding the system without the ABS should be fine. I had my complete system bled when I made the switch to RBF but now just bleed in my garage w/o activating the ABS. However, one could go out and activate the ABS a few times on the street then bleed right after. That will force the movement of the fluid from the ABS circuit into main stream so "some" is bled out.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid