C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Default Paddle Shifting

Do you use it? How often?

I find myself using it more and more!!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

All day every day! Actually, I think the paddles are something you have to dedicate yourself to for a couple of weeks before you learn how to use them effectively (I guess just like learning to drive a manual for the first time). They have their quirks (i.e. in certain situations there is a slight delay), but I have to say, once I took the time to really learn how to use them, I really can't go back.

Last edited by DigitalWidgets; 04-06-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM
sct1984
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't gotten my vette yet - but I am coming from a 2008 Mitsu Evo MR (paddle shift). The only time I didn't use the paddles was when I was drinking coffee, texting, and changing the radio station at the same time in rush hour. God bless the A6
Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Chip A
Instructor

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
All day every day! Actually, I think the paddles are something you have to dedicate yourself to for a couple of weeks before you learn how to use them effectively (I guess just like learning to drive a manual for the first time). They have their quirks (i.e. in certain situations there is a slight delay), but I have to say, once I took the time to really learn how to use them, I really can't go back.
Can you share some "learner" tips with us? I am interested in the details of what the quirks are, and how to get around them. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go in spells. I also find myself pushing with my left foot slowing and sometimes starting off. LOL. Like mine a lot more after a 'tune'.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I use them often, but from the get-go, the paddles seem backwards to me. I feel as if the finger paddle should be upshifting and the thumb downshifting. Actually, when I thought about it some, I made the changes so the left paddle stayed as OEM, finger paddle to downshift, and the right paddle was changed so the finger paddle upshifts.
That means the on the left side, the thumb paddle upshifts, and on the right side, the thumb downshifts.
I changed the graphics on the paddles to reflect the changes.

Now, it feels so much more natural to upshift using the right finger paddle.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not having much luck with them. I think there must be some sort of Rev limiter or something.

Every time I try to use them, it shifts before I get a chance to. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

When I started out I hardly used them. Now I use them 100% of the time.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I've heard that some older model years require a shift from D to S to get out of paddles, so YMMV.
Uhh, no, they require a shift from S to D to get out of the paddle shift mode. Then, you can still go back to S, but it's now in the automatic mode.

I use the paddles about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time I'm driving in town. I never use them on the interstate, which about 3/4 of my total mileage.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 AM
mgtr
Pro

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I use them often, but from the get-go, the paddles seem backwards to me. I feel as if the finger paddle should be upshifting and the thumb downshifting. Actually, when I thought about it some, I made the changes so the left paddle stayed as OEM, finger paddle to downshift, and the right paddle was changed so the finger paddle upshifts.
That means the on the left side, the thumb paddle upshifts, and on the right side, the thumb downshifts.

Now, it feels so much more natural to upshift using the right finger paddle.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nicely done!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 AM
sct1984
Instructor

Originally Posted by tampatopless
I'm not having much luck with them. I think there must be some sort of Rev limiter or something.

Every time I try to use them, it shifts before I get a chance to. Am I doing something wrong?
Car likely needs to be in "S". My wife's CSX is the same way, I can use the paddles temporarily while in D, but to be strictly paddles, needs to be in S. I'm sure someone can clarify
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tampatopless

Put it in "S" mode, then touch the paddles to see the gear your in on the DIC or the HUD.

If you only put it in "S" mode and don't touch the paddles, it will not shift. Putting it in "D" will not engage the paddles.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM
sct1984
Instructor

How did you make this change?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sct1984
How did you make this change?
I have attached the PDF from another member that did the change. It's just changing 2 wires on the paddle.
Have to take the center of the wheel off to get to it, but it's fairly simple to do, and the instructions are right on.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Paddle shifter changes.pdf (613.7 KB, 332 views)
Old 04-06-2013, 11:35 AM
sct1984
Instructor

Put it in "S" mode, then touch the paddles to see the gear your in on the DIC or the HUD.

If you only put it in "S" mode and don't touch the paddles, it will not shift. Putting it in "D" will not engage the paddles.

So you cannot use the paddles at all if in D? not even temporarily?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chip A
Can you share some "learner" tips with us? I am interested in the details of what the quirks are, and how to get around them. Thanks.
I'm no expert, but I think the most important tip I could share is....get in your car, put the A6 is S, and pull that paddle to get into 1st.....and make yourself do that every time you drive for 2 weeks. In my learning experience, it wasn't a blast the first couple of times out...actually a bit of a pain at first.

Some other thoughts: Paddle shifting will feel like you're being a bit tougher on your engine, don't be afraid of that....to be honest, I kinda beat on mine....I won't hesitate to down shift into 1st above 30mph. And with the NPP fused pulled, the engine will roar. It just sounds/feels awesome (a line I've used many times: "It's the difference between stopping at a red light, and arriving at a red light in a Corvette!").

You will make the mistake early on of downshifting when you meant to upshift, and vice versa. You'll feel like a idiot when your in a neighborhood going 40 and you accidentally down shift to 1st and the car roars! The nice thing is...the car won't let you break it. The computer won't let you shift into a horribly wrong gear, and the rev limiter will be your friend while you learn how to time those up shifts when you're really pushing it.

Learn your red line speeds: In my A6, 1st redlines at 46, 2nd redlines at 78. Anything above that and you'll be on a track with plenty of other stuff to learn. Here's a chart I made when I first got my car:

http://www.corvettenews.com/Assets/2011GSGearSpeeds.pdf

There's a delay in the shift between the button push and the actual shift. After a week or two, you'll learn to time everything by feel, but initially, you'll want to shift about 1000 RPM before red line (40mph in first, 70 mph in 2nd). Once you're comfortable, you have to hit the rev limiter a few times to find out where the real edge is (and although it sounds a little weird, I've been told that it doesn't do any damage to the engine....PBPBPBPBPBPBP).

For just casual driving, the paddles are a piece of cake once you've learned them. Now that I've got a bit more experience with them, I have learned there are 1st gear turns and 2nd gear turns...but you'll figure all that out with experience.

Downshifting with the NPP fuse pulled is heaven. Pops and burbles (right in the 2500 RPM range on the downshift)....something you just can't get in auto. Really enhances the driving experience for me...and downshifting at those higher RPMs gets you in the right gear for any quick acceleration you might want to instantly apply (no auto transmission delay).

And finally....1st gear is AWESOME in these cars. I never really could ever spin the tires or anything too exciting in auto. In 1st gear, no problem...pop that throttle and be ready for the back to start sliding around.

Now all that being said, I don't really ever drive over the speed limit....and I've found that the real fun in the Vette is getting to that speed limit (although you have to enjoy your fun in little 2 and 3 second bursts!). Once you start playing with the paddles and learn to hang out in 1st gear a bit you'll discover a whole new world of performance you might not have known you had.

Sorry...you asked for some tips, I wrote a novel...time to go wash the car!

Last edited by DigitalWidgets; 04-06-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Not that know of, at least not my 06. Mine has to be in S.

This is from the 2011 owners manual:

To operate the Manual Paddle Shift
system, the automatic transmission
shifter must be in S (Sport Mode).
The system is activated by pushing
the paddle, above the steering
wheel spokes, to manually up-shift
to the next gear, or pulling on the
paddle, behind the steering wheel
spokes to manually down-shift.
The current gear will be displayed
in the Driver Information (DIC),
or the Head-Up Display (HUD),
if the vehicle has either of these
features.
The Manual Paddle Shift system
can be deactivated by moving the
shifter from S (Sport Mode) back to
D (Drive), or by holding the up‐shift
paddle for more than one second.
The Manual Paddle Shift system
will not allow either an up-shift or
a down-shift, if the vehicle speed
is too fast or too slow, nor will it
allow a start from 4 (Fourth) or
higher gear.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 04-06-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shifting

Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

On my 2011: Paddle shifting in D is a temporary thing. Downshift, or upshift a bit with the paddles and about 7 seconds later, the automatic will take back over. In S, once you engage the paddles...it stays in whatever gear you tell it (enjoy that rev limiter!). To disengage the paddles in S, just hold down the upshift (+) paddle for a few seconds and the car will go back into auto mode. I've heard that some older model years require a shift from D to S to get out of paddles, so YMMV.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

I have attached the PDF from another member that did the change. It's just changing 2 wires on the paddle.
Have to take the center of the wheel off to get to it, but it's fairly simple to do, and the instructions are right on.
Wow! Outstanding. I too have disliked the paddle/thumb button setup on the car and wished that Chevrolet had set up the paddles as you have. I guess they finally did on the C7.

I'll have to do this myself.

How does buying a new right paddle accomplish this change? Wouldn't the wires still need swapping?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CorvetteSparky
Wow! Outstanding. I too have disliked the paddle/thumb button setup on the car and wished that Chevrolet had set up the paddles as you have. I guess they finally did on the C7.

I'll have to do this myself.

How does buying a new right paddle accomplish this change? Wouldn't the wires still need swapping?
There's a vendor that sells the right paddle shifter with the wires already changed, so basically if you do it yourself with the existing right paddle, you can save the $170.00

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifting