C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a great car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Default What a great car!

So in the last few days I've had the good fortune to drive some cool cars.
On Sunday I got to drive the new Porsche Carrera S with PDK, full leather wrap, in red, sport exhaust and seats, etc. List was $138K.

Today, I got to drive the brand new Aston Martin Vanquish list is $300K+ and a 2010 Aston DBS with manual also with a price tag close to $300K when new.

I have a 2013 Grand Sport with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, F55, and Caravaggio Daytona seats and steering wheel.

We all took turns driving each others cars. And we drove them hard in the canyons in Malibu just outside of Los Angeles. First, everyone was blown away by how well the 'vette performs. Steering input, suspension, seats, all got big thumbs up. The Porsche was also an awesome car. Steering feel was similar to the 'vettes as was turn in quickness. The Porsche comes alive around 5K RPM and the PDK is awesome as was the RED interior. It was great getting to drive my 'vette and the Carrera back to back. Both are really great cars and both are very fast in the canyons.

Now the Aston's were a different story. SOOOOO heavy. The V12 engines were great. Super free reving and sounded ridiculous! But the turn in on both cars sucked and the new all carbon Vanquish was absolutely no fun to drive. After a few miles I wanted my Grand Sport back. The DBS was a much better drivers car but still had zero steering feel. Brakes on the Vanquish started to fade on me and they are carbon ceramic. The DBS also came with carbon ceramic brakes and had brand new brake job as well that ran close to $25K yes that's correct $25,000.00 for a brake job. Sheesh...

The new Porsche and my 'vette were remarkably similar in ease of handling. Both are easy to learn and provide good feel and have fast turn in response. Both handle transitions very well.

It was great getting to drive these amazing cars but damn guys I'm telling you the Grand Sport with F55 and the Michelin's friggin' ROCKS

Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

world-class performance at a fraction of the price...that's what Corvette is all about !

nice write-up and thx for sharing.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
world-class performance at a fraction of the price...that's what Corvette is all about !

But given the chance I would not pass up a drive in either of those cars.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by wayback

But given the chance I would not pass up a drive in either of those cars.
Absolutely, I was very happy to be invited to the ball. My best friend races for Aston Martin so it's great to have the opportunity to drive these cars I would normally have no way of even sitting in let alone driving the crap out of them. It's really awesome and I feel super fortunate.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I did the World Class Driving tour about four yrs ago...so I know what you both mean & I agree.
t was a blast driving a few exotics for a 1/2 day !
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

75000 Vette owners cant be wrong...or may they just cant afford one of the above cars/
Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

A brake job that costs 1/2 what I paid for my Z... I'd have to take out a home equity loan, unreal
Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Great write up and proves that the Vette is an awesome sports car, especially for the $$
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6

Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Wow, that's great! How I'd love to try out those other cars on a canyon road!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Pretty cool.

I friend of mine owns a Aston Martin Vantage. Absolutely a stunning looking car. It rode nice, but is sure felt "heavy". Acceleration and braking did not seem as good as my GS. But it is still a very nice ride.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 AM
sct1984
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
After a few miles I wanted my Grand Sport back.
Similar feeling I got a few weeks ago after taking my father-in-law's California for a boot and then took the similar route in a buddy's Z. Don't get me wrong - even just sitting in his Cali is an incredible experience, let alone driving it. But once I drove the Z, I was surprised that I was much less excited to get back into the Ferrari - perhaps it would be different had it been a 458 - but that feeling has further fueled the desire for my own vette

Unlike him though, I am unfortunately on a budget lol
Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Nice write-up, and sure it was a good experience getting to drive some of the best sportscars.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Bet the brakes were never bedded on the Aston Martins.
z51vett
Old 04-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Performance Without Pretense is the vette m-o, & they got the steering feedback, turn-in, etc nailed in these later models.

I drove my friend's '12 911 Turbo w/ ceramic brakes, center lock hubs etc...imho, the steering feel wasn't noticeably better than my '12 GS. Damn nice car though & a beautiful interior.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Now that's a fun way to spend a day. Thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Now that's a fun way to spend a day. Thanks
Yeah, it was pretty darn cool for sure!

Get notified of new replies

To What a great car!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bedouin
Performance Without Pretense is the vette m-o, & they got the steering feedback, turn-in, etc nailed in these later models.

I drove my friend's '12 911 Turbo w/ ceramic brakes, center lock hubs etc...imho, the steering feel wasn't noticeably better than my '12 GS. Damn nice car though & a beautiful interior.
I agree. The steering felt very similar between the 2013 Carrera S and my GS. And yes, the all red leather wrap was too cool!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:24 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
So in the last few days I've had the good fortune to drive some cool cars.
On Sunday I got to drive the new Porsche Carrera S with PDK, full leather wrap, in red, sport exhaust and seats, etc. List was $138K.

Today, I got to drive the brand new Aston Martin Vanquish list is $300K+ and a 2010 Aston DBS with manual also with a price tag close to $300K when new.

I have a 2013 Grand Sport with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, F55, and Caravaggio Daytona seats and steering wheel.

We all took turns driving each others cars. And we drove them hard in the canyons in Malibu just outside of Los Angeles. First, everyone was blown away by how well the 'vette performs. Steering input, suspension, seats, all got big thumbs up. The Porsche was also an awesome car. Steering feel was similar to the 'vettes as was turn in quickness. The Porsche comes alive around 5K RPM and the PDK is awesome as was the RED interior. It was great getting to drive my 'vette and the Carrera back to back. Both are really great cars and both are very fast in the canyons.

Now the Aston's were a different story. SOOOOO heavy. The V12 engines were great. Super free reving and sounded ridiculous! But the turn in on both cars sucked and the new all carbon Vanquish was absolutely no fun to drive. After a few miles I wanted my Grand Sport back. The DBS was a much better drivers car but still had zero steering feel. Brakes on the Vanquish started to fade on me and they are carbon ceramic. The DBS also came with carbon ceramic brakes and had brand new brake job as well that ran close to $25K yes that's correct $25,000.00 for a brake job. Sheesh...

The new Porsche and my 'vette were remarkably similar in ease of handling. Both are easy to learn and provide good feel and have fast turn in response. Both handle transitions very well.

It was great getting to drive these amazing cars but damn guys I'm telling you the Grand Sport with F55 and the Michelin's friggin' ROCKS

I was recently in Florida and a good friend works for a major Porsche dealer there and he always gets to drive the latest German toys. I got the chance to drive a 2012 911 GT3RS, normally aspirated, center locks, manual trans, a 2012 Turbo with PDK and the monster 911 GT2RS, one of only a handful in the States. I'll admit the PDK works very well and the 911 Turbo is a fantastic car, but I'm a 3 pedal driver all the way, and I felt the same as when I drove a Nissan GTR, I liked it, but I wouldn't buy it unless it had a manual. The GT3 is stellar, it does everything perfectly, balance is perfect, brakes exceptional, just a great car. The GT2RS is in another league, drives much like the GT3 but with a TON more horsepower, the thing is scary fast, the boost hits like an afterburner, too bad the thing costs $250 large. I've never yet had the chance to drive a new Aston Martin, but anybody, myself included will say there's likely not a better looking car on the road today, every one is gorgeous. From what I'm told, the Aston to buy if you want the performance is the V8 Vantage with a manual, in my opinion even better looking than the V12 cars.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
The GT3 is stellar, it does everything perfectly, balance is perfect, brakes exceptional, just a great car. The GT2RS is in another league, drives much like the GT3 but with a TON more horsepower, the thing is scary fast, the boost hits like an afterburner, too bad the thing costs $250 large. I've never yet had the chance to drive a new Aston Martin, but anybody, myself included will say there's likely not a better looking car on the road today, every one is gorgeous. From what I'm told, the Aston to buy if you want the performance is the V8 Vantage with a manual, in my opinion even better looking than the V12 cars.
My friend currently owns a 2011 V8 Vantage N420 with the paddle shift manual. The car is great! The paddle shift manual transmission is not so hot. So, he ordered a new GT3 which only comes with PDK. Looking forward to getting to drive it too!

Quick Reply: What a great car!