C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Owner? How did that happen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I thought the coupe with the roof off was the best thing until I bought a Vert. There is no comparison. I would never go back unless I have a medical condition.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Bought my first new car in 1966; bought my first convertible in 1972 when I came home from 4 years in the Navy. There was one other convertible before I started buying vette convertibles; have 3 of those. Fixed roofs include a 2012 CTS4 and a 2013 Toyota 4Runner Limited.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have had 4 motorcycles and driving a Miata when not in the GS. Know what you're saying.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM
tjl5709
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flh Den
Another lifetime motorcycle rider here as well. Something special about the smell of fresh cut grass, fruit trees in blossom, and cow $hit in the field that can only be experienced on a bike, but a close second in a convertible..
+1

The vert is nice, and a pretty close experience, but I miss my bike..............
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Chip A
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luster
I prefer coupes. My wife wanted a vert and I caved.

I still prefer coupes, but this is a pretty sweet vert.......

If you got to "cave" that's the way to do it. Sometimes being a "caveman" works out well! Nice car.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Flh Den
Another lifetime motorcycle rider here as well. Something special about the smell of fresh cut grass, fruit trees in blossom, and cow $hit in the field that can only be experienced on a bike, but a close second in a convertible..

I rode for about 30 years ( mostly Honda Goldwings) and some sport touring bikes and loved every minute of it. Nearly all twisty, country roads in rural or mountain areas. Stopped cold turkey about 5 years ago as I figured statistics would eventually catch up to me, although I've never put a bike down.

The first Vette ( '65 Roadster) was the only other Vert I've owned. Been a coupe person (7 more) ever since until now. We are both trying to stay out of heavy direct sunlight as we're both regulars with the Dermatologist having skin cancer issues.

Really thrilled with the 427 Vert. Only had the top down once so far since buying it due to the weather. I get the sense I'll have the same feeling as riding the bike outdoor smells and fresh air. May have to leave the top up during the heat of the day in summer, but the mornings and evenings it's top down
Old 03-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Cobalt502
Instructor

My decision to buy a vert was based on a screw up by a rental car company in Florida that earned us a BRAND NEW, to them, 2012 Camaro Convertible for our troubles! We typically hang by the pool for our entire vacation but getting this for a rental car changed everything, we spent the entire week cruising the coast line with the top down and were hooked for life!

As far a s bikes I had two bad experiences at a very young age and will not drive a bike again, no problem doing 100 plus on a snowmobile for whatever reason? I guess there are too many Blue Hairs driving our streets? The other reason is I worked in a hospital all thru H.S. delivering laundry to the different floors, this time of the year the I.C.U. units were filled with crash victims...no helmet law in Wisconsin!

Be careful all you bike riders!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:30 AM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Luster
I prefer coupes. My wife wanted a vert and I caved.

I still prefer coupes, but this is a pretty sweet vert.......

Absolutely gorgeous car, Mr. Luster!! I've always loved it!

(Bill, you ought to try to make the NCM Bash at the end of April!)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

No cages for me. Bikes & Verts forever.

You can't beat open air cruising on a Summer night.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Luffsvette
Instructor

In the vert I like the unlimited headroom. I still ride the bike too. Depends on how cold it is in the morning. (30 degrees and below just ain't fun) I agree with some others it's a close second to the open air bike. Another advantage I give to the bike is I feel less cramped when riding it
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
I also ride and have for many years. In addition to the dual purposeness of the vert, I prefer the roofline of the vert. I might test drive a hardtop if it wasn't for the look of a fastback with that huge back window.
I agree..
Old 03-31-2013, 01:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
I also ride and have for many years. In addition to the dual purposeness of the vert, I prefer the roofline of the vert. I might test drive a hardtop if it wasn't for the look of a fastback with that huge back window.
I love the 'chopped' look of the Vert roofline and the way it makes the side windows look much shorter in height.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 PM
RaisedOnVettes
Instructor

Happy Easter Forums Members,

I rode a motorcycle since I was 22-years old, have had one ever since. I recently sold my current motorcycle and am hanging up the helmet for good. A bad back and hip made riding the bike unbearable at times soooooo....
Got an 08 Vert and it is very nice to have the drop top! The wife enjoys it much more than the bike...go figure!
Anyway, Vert for me from now on!

Bye Suzuki M109R, loved this bike...

Hello and here to stay Vert
Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Globeman
You can't beat open air cruising on a Summer night.
Oh Yeah Baby. I used to love riding my bike on those hot summer nights. No bike now but love riding topless at night with the Vette.

Originally Posted by cclive
I love the 'chopped' look of the Vert roofline and the way it makes the side windows look much shorter in height.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

Had my 1st vette at 19 (63 split window coupe) my (3rd convertible) 5th Vette now is a GS convertible. With the heated seats I can now drive at any temp, but saying that I have also owned motorcycles (presently a Harley) since I was 16 and it truly is the ultimate in open air feeling. Now at age 65 the wife and I love riding both
Old 03-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Shsteffensen
Heel & Toe

Have a GS convertible, sold '63 coupe to get it. Have had several corvettes - both convertibles and t-tops and targa tops and fixed as well as vert's. have ridden cycles for 40 years plus. Just bought a new cycle this spring. Bottom line - prefer the open option. Of vert's and bikes.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:50 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Rode a bike for 20+ years. Loved to take trips on it. My last bike was a Yamaha Venture Royale. I hated to sell it but business and life was taking too much of my time. So I reluctantly sold it.
Now we have an 07 Convertible and are soooooo glad we bought the Vert. As some have said, it's not exactly the same as the bike but it is a close second. As my wife said, instead of being in back she is now beside me. That works for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Owner? How did that happen?

Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM
MassGT
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Old bike guy here and now new 07 vert guy. Wife never like riding on the the back of the Harley. So now that the kids are grown up I was leaving her home most weekend in the summer. Decided to change the bike for the vert. Wife loves the car and will go with me anytime I take it for a ride. In the end the Corvette was cheaper than maybe loosen my wife and half the **** I got.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 AM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My first car in 1960 was a convertible. My first new car was also. More than half of the 70 or so cars I've owned were convertibles. I now have C5 and C6 convertibles and a CBR600. I guess you could say that I'm "converted".
Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 AM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

It happened by accident. Used 92 Quasar Blue Metallic Convertible with chrome ZR1 sawblade tires/wheels (!!!). The car was on the showroom floor when I came back from lunch. I saw it, loved it, asked how much.....bought it. Didn't know it was a convertible until my boss said he'd have the service department take the hardtop off.

I owned that car for seven years and it "fit" me better than any of the ones I've owed since then. The hardtop was a pita the take off/put on/store but it sure looked good. The convertible top wasn't all that great but most of the time it was down!

Quick Reply: Convertible Owner? How did that happen?