C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why go to non run flat tires?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I have Super Sports on my 11 GS Vert for about 4k miles right now. The car performs better in every category.

Blow outs are rare, extremely to be honest. Unless you hit something. One member here had run flats and hit something and still needed a toe truck eventually. 50 mile range is a joke out west anyway. You don't want to drive 50mph on the interstate out here. That is a good way to get killed.

Most leaks are slow leakers. I have a good air compressor in my car. I even carry it on long trips in my other cars. I also have a can of slime for the fast leaks and a repair kit. So generally I'm covered with the exception of a blowout.

The Super Sports are great in the rain, better overall performance, better ride, better than any run flat in the cold (probably because the side walls are not stiff), they are cheaper, quieter and I noticed a gas mileage increase of around 10%.

After 4k miles I lost about 1/32d of tread so I have another 6/32ds to I hit the bars, maybe 25-30k miles. Most max dry weather performance run flats won't last that long.

Grip is amazing with the Super Sports. Brand new I got them up to .87g on an onramp and I wasn't pushing them.

Michelin rates the Super Sport better in every category than the PS2 ZP on its website. Price difference is about $600. BStones run flats cost around the same as Super Sports.
Damn you are making me think or at least consider non RF tires, my 09 coupe needs tires at 17k. GYRF suck, that's for sure. Im considering Firestone but Im not ready to pull the trigger yet.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM
New World Matt
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

Ugh ... Now I'm even MORE undecided about what to replace my crappy Goodyear RunFlats with .

I was kinda set on Bridgestone Pole Positions for my 2010 GS , but man , you guys are making a serious case for non-RFT's and a compressor . So the bottom line is : I could save a bunch of money , get more grip when it's cold , and they're quieter and more comfortable .

I have commitment issues people . This post isn't helping .

Or is it ?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 PM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every car I have ever bought with run-flats were replaced with non-run-flats when the run flats were used up and some before that point.

Why?

The non-run-flat tires can perform and ride better while being cheaper. I carry a plug kit and an air compressor, anything that can't be fixed with these two is just a call to AAA away. I drive about 60k miles a year for business and have not needed AAA yet.

The Goodyears on my 2012 GS will be replaced with Michelin Super Sports when they give up
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
Damn you are making me think or at least consider non RF tires, my 09 coupe needs tires at 17k. GYRF suck, that's for sure. Im considering Firestone but Im not ready to pull the trigger yet.
Firestones are decent but provide less grip than the GY RF. They also say Do Not Repair on the sidewall. One option for narrow body is the Super Sport RFT which should be out soon or the new AS3. I like PS2s but they look narrow.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:36 AM
Tinnit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I have Super Sports on my 11 GS Vert for about 4k miles right now. The car performs better in every category.

Blow outs are rare, extremely to be honest. Unless you hit something. One member here had run flats and hit something and still needed a toe truck eventually. 50 mile range is a joke out west anyway. You don't want to drive 50mph on the interstate out here. That is a good way to get killed.

Most leaks are slow leakers. I have a good air compressor in my car. I even carry it on long trips in my other cars. I also have a can of slime for the fast leaks and a repair kit. So generally I'm covered with the exception of a blowout.

The Super Sports are great in the rain, better overall performance, better ride, better than any run flat in the cold (probably because the side walls are not stiff), they are cheaper, quieter and I noticed a gas mileage increase of around 10%.

After 4k miles I lost about 1/32d of tread so I have another 6/32ds to I hit the bars, maybe 25-30k miles. Most max dry weather performance run flats won't last that long.

Grip is amazing with the Super Sports. Brand new I got them up to .87g on an onramp and I wasn't pushing them.

Michelin rates the Super Sport better in every category than the PS2 ZP on its website. Price difference is about $600. BStones run flats cost around the same as Super Sports.
I, too, have PSS tires on mine. The ride improved and the road noise decreased. It's a noteworthy difference, but it's not like it's going to turn into a Camry. It's still noisy on the highway and stiff over bumps. There's maybe a bit more traction over the GY F1 Supercars that came on the car, but not much. Hard to tell since I also went quite a bit wider as well (255/35/18 fr & 305/30/19 r, vs the stock 245/40/18 & 285/35/19). I believe Michelin rates the PSS a bit higher for treadwear compared to the F1 Supercars, so that may explain why they're as close as they are. I wanna say 300 for the PSS and 220 for the Goodyears (i.e. the Goodyears are supposedly stickier, although I've been told it's not safe to compare UTQG numbers between different manufacturers). My mileage went down a hair, but I'll chalk that up to the wider size.

The main reason I switched from runflats to non-runflats is because I wanted a very high quality dual-purpose tire. I wanted to drive the car 3 seasons a year, have excellent grip on the street, but also be able to take it to the track and not be too depressed that I'm not running r-comps. Going to non-runflats opened up my tire options more. I don't know of any runflats that fit my criteria as well as the non-runflat alternatives. Also, given that I do intend to use these on my daily commute during the warm months as well as on the weekends for track/autocross duty, I don't expect them to last long. It's a little easier to stomach when the tires perform better than runflats at half the cost.

I shudder to think how much money I've given to Discount Tire over the years.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 AM
Corvette03051
Melting Slicks

Received 410 Likes on 218 Posts

Default Run flats

Why can't you make up your mind? Why not Firestone if you are in a budget? Made by Bridgestone and less expensive. Saw a guy take in the dragon with Firestone and they were adequate
Old 03-31-2013, 07:10 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CK 6
Do any of you have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on your car? If so, what do you think about them?
I just put them on and have been impressed. They are an improvement over the PS2 which was one of the best tires Michelin ever made. The only other option for me was the Pilot Sport Cup, but don't think they made it in a 20".
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

My non runflat tires outperform any runflat tire for half the price.

Omg I'm gonna die with normal tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why go to non run flat tires?