C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another wide conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM
sohiers
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another wide conversion question

Hi, How much time it could be necessary to do the rear and front conversion wide body conversion with OEM parts?

I know it depends of a lot of factors, but a local paint shop told me it would take about 80 hours to uninstall actual front bumper and 4 fenders, reinstall new ones and paint the whole car.
Does it sounds correct?

I heard some other owners that did it by themself for much less time !!

Stefan
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Yellow C-6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by sohiers
Hi, How much time it could be necessary to do the rear and front conversion wide body conversion with OEM parts?

I know it depends of a lot of factors, but a local paint shop told me it would take about 80 hours to uninstall actual front bumper and 4 fenders, reinstall new ones and paint the whole car.
Does it sounds correct?

Stefan
That is not to bad for all the work they are doing, of course that depends on how much per hour.

Derwin
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Might be cheaper to sell your present car and look for a GS you like.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Does it sounds correct?

Stefan
seems execively high in hours...ive done a bunch of body work in the past (my fathers body shop) and that seems way to long....ive seen a near totaled car get fixed in less time,with install of new frame. I would think a few days would be plenty of time.....sounds like they are using the "corvette tax" pretty heavily.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Does it sounds correct?

Stefan
That seems like a lot of hours to me. If it includes the painting (and drying time) then maybe.

I just took off my front fenders and front bumper and I did it in a few evenings, taking my time. I think the rear quarter panels are even easier.

I got my front done (fenders & front bumper R&R -approx 15 hrs - and paint - approx 17 hrs) for around $2000, not including parts.

I think the rear was around $1200, not including parts.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 AM
jmac2009
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a rear widebooty first to handle the Callaway supercharger and then a year later did the front widebody. 285 size rear tires even with traction control was terrible.

The rear is a much simpler process becuase you replace both the rear fender wells and the rear quarter panels.

The front can be more complicated depending on which option you want.
Option 1 - cut and heat off the front fender well which is glued onto the front frame, time consuming. Then add new front fender well and front quarter panel. see photo below

Option 2 - use expander kit to expand the front fender well which does not require removing the existing fender well but widens the inner well to match the wider front quarter panel

Good Luck. I have NEVER regretted the money I spent on this mod.

When its all done

Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

80 hours ?!?!?! Thats absurd. Taking these cars apart and putting thek back together is simple as pie dont forget they are american and made on a budget. That's not a bad thing when it comes to body panels. They bolt and un bolt making it super easy to change or replace. To take off and re install whole body should take no more than a DEDICATED day or 2 at a pro body shop. And another decicated day for paint. I had my rear painted and installed in a day. The front is a little more extensive but still pretty simple. My advice is look elsewhere!

By dedicated I mean working on your car only not working on others at the same time.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Billb0872
Instructor

Here is a DIY guide, no time estimate , but you can see what is involved.
http://www.myvettesite.com/files/widebodyguide.pdf
Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 AM
sohiers
Advanced

Thanks Billb0872, I already saved this helpful guidein my favorites :-)
Great document I will supply to paint shop as reference...

Get notified of new replies

To another wide conversion question

Quick Reply: another wide conversion question