C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:22 AM
drjdog5150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 question

I have noticed as the temps have been in the high 80-90's here in AZ that my trans temp gets into 180-190 range. This is far higher then all winter (was 160 ish) and it seems that when the car does 2-3 and 3-4 upshifts it sometimes revs a few RPM, maybe 150 or so. Have noticed this in a few other gear shifts but nothing as freaquent or noticable as those gears. Is this something to do with the higher temps? Or is my tranny starting to fail?

Still new to this car, around 7k miles for me and almost all highway (37of my 40 mile daily commute) so thought I should ask if normal or not before I take it to dealer, its a bit of a drive into town and the worst roads ever!

My car is an 06' with just under 50k, I do have the extended GM warranty but hoping its just a normal issue with higher trans temps.

Thanks for any input,
Jason
Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

The fluid should be changed at 50K.
It won't hurt to swap out the old and install a new filter.

You will immediately notice a change in the shifting... However, this may not correct your problem.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
The fluid should be changed at 50K.
It won't hurt to swap out the old and install a new filter.

You will immediately notice a change in the shifting... However, this may not correct your problem.
GM says 100k service. Temps are normal.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Seems to be the dreaded 6L80 shift flare. I have it sometimes too. There's a TSB for leaky O rings but I think I'll take my chances vs having a dealer tech disassemble my transmission.

Temps are normal
Old 03-29-2013, 07:18 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
GM says 100k service. Temps are normal.
Yeah... I know and 7500 mile oil changes. But it is your car.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it and try not to OCD about it. The trans will adapt to your driving style after a while. Drive hell out of it and it will like it. Before long you wont notice it. Drive in S.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM
EVL JAKE
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I can't believe how finicky this trans is but the flare does happen to me from time to time and it still hasn't failed me.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by EVL JAKE
I can't believe how finicky this trans is but the flare does happen to me from time to time and it still hasn't failed me.
It's never flared in S mode at the track, seems to do it when I am paddle shifting sometimes. Just annoying but I think ill take my chances seeing as I haven't heard of any failed transmissions due to it, rather then letting some dealer lackey take the trans apart.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 AM
YouKnowWho711
Advanced

Jason, like everyone is telling you above, the 6L80E transmission that we have has the tendency of flaring after some wear on it. First, it starts off as small 100-200 rpm spikes between 2nd and 3rd, 3-4, and even 4-5. 1st to 2nd gear will stay good, as will 5-6. The best thing you can do is go to a reputable transmission shop, or even a GM dealership, and have them flush out the transmission fluid and replace the filter. They'll be able to replace approximately 6 quarts out of the 10-13 quart total. This will help, especially if you are close to stock HP numbers, and it only costs approximately 100-200 dollars, tops. At this point, if you're still unhappy with the way the car shifts, you can have a local tuner that understands these cars tune your TCM (transmission control module) to increase line pressures and that'll definitely firm up your shift points! Don't sweat it, it really isn't that big of a deal. As far as your tranny temps go, they're just fine.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

2006 A6 for 44k miles (sold)
2009 A6 for 56k miles, still driving.

No flare in either car, the 2009 seems to occasionally have a little "negative flare" when using the paddles at part throttle- like TC actually cuts back the power just a fraction TOO soon when doing a 2-3 paddle upshift. So the rpm drops slightly instead of flaring slightly. Not a big deal, and not frequent, but confusing when many others have flare.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:02 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Please make note, I had a similar problem that was resolved!

Please note. I had a similar problem on my 06 C6 A6 F55 NAV. Here is what was found and defintely a problem with shifting. I took it to one of the two most recognized Corvette tuning shops in the DFW area. One of the top representative drove my car for a differential problem, then he mentioned, out of the blue, that the A6 trans shifted funny. Guess what, the next time I was in a dealer and was allowed back in the shop, we checked the transmission. It was over filled from the assembly plant and we drained alot of "bubbly" fluid out of it. It was definitely overfilled and we went with the procedure of the car on the rack in the air and going through different gears, drive, sport, and reverse while the engine was running per GM directives. Did the bubbles flow out of that transmission, drained it until there was a slight flow of fluid so the bubbles could dissipate. Shifting problem solved. The bubbles in the transmission valve body definitely affected the shifting performance of the car. This ought to get your attention now.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 PM
drjdog5150
Instructor

Originally Posted by YouKnowWho711
Jason, like everyone is telling you above, the 6L80E transmission that we have has the tendency of flaring after some wear on it. First, it starts off as small 100-200 rpm spikes between 2nd and 3rd, 3-4, and even 4-5. 1st to 2nd gear will stay good, as will 5-6. The best thing you can do is go to a reputable transmission shop, or even a GM dealership, and have them flush out the transmission fluid and replace the filter. They'll be able to replace approximately 6 quarts out of the 10-13 quart total. This will help, especially if you are close to stock HP numbers, and it only costs approximately 100-200 dollars, tops. At this point, if you're still unhappy with the way the car shifts, you can have a local tuner that understands these cars tune your TCM (transmission control module) to increase line pressures and that'll definitely firm up your shift points! Don't sweat it, it really isn't that big of a deal. As far as your tranny temps go, they're just fine.

Thanks everyone for the good info, glad to hear its a pretty common issue...I can definatly deal with it, just didn't want to be missing any signs. Again thanks, will have the vette guys in Phoenix do a flush!

Jason

Get notified of new replies

To A6 question

Quick Reply: A6 question