C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Selective Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:27 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Magnetic Selective Ride

Hi Folks

I purchased a 03 Anniversary Red Convertible yesterday. Driving it home it felt like a go cart. The ride was worse than my 03 Z06.

Thankfully, I read a post in the C5 section that mentioned a problem with Vettes with selective ride. The problem has to do with GM shipping the cars with "shock stuffers". The stuffers are supposed to be removed by the Dealer. The guy that wrote the post was the 5th owner of His car and the stuffers were still in place. I am the 6th owner of my car and the stuffers were still in place so this appears to be a common problem.

With the stuffers in place you do not have selective nor do you have a good shock system.

To be safe, look at your shocks and if you see a plastic strap "yellow in my case" hanging out from the shock rubber boot your stuffer has not been removed.

I found that Jacking the car up at the lift points and removing the wheels was the best way to remove the stuffers. Push the rubber boot up as far as possible and pull the strap to work the stuffer off of the shock. Then push the boot back down and replace your wheel. I cleaned and polished mine while they were off.

If the C6 did not use the stuffers then I just typed a lot for nothing?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Not sure about the stuffers, but we appreciate you taking the time to post.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I don't feel much difference with my
new C6 and mag ride on or off. Will have to check this.
Thx!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Crystal Dream
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C6 did not ship with stuffers in the F55 system.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:55 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crystal Dream
C6 did not ship with stuffers in the F55 system.
Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Interesting, might of been why I could never tell a difference in the ride on my 2001. Since my 2013 will have magnetic ride control, are you guys sure they were not shipped with "stuffers"?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Interesting, might of been why I could never tell a difference in the ride on my 2001. Since my 2013 will have magnetic ride control, are you guys sure they were not shipped with "stuffers"?
yes, sure they stopped doing that. i checked on that right after getting my 2011 and not being able to tell ANY difference when on or not on.

for a fyi.. here is the info (i think it has the tsb for prior to 2005)..

Info - New Vehicle Preparation for Magnetic Selective Ride Control #02-03-11-002A - (08/18/2003)
New Vehicle Preparation for Magnetic Selective Ride Control
2003-2004 Chevrolet Corvette
with Magnetic Selective Ride Control (RPO F55)
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-03-11-002 (Section 03 - Suspension).
Magnetic Selective Ride Control (RPO F55) will be available on the Corvette for model years 2003 and 2004.
Magnetic Selective Ride Control works like this: When the vehicle is being driven, various sensors pick up data which is processed by a control module. Using pulse-width modulation, the control module varies an electromagnetic field in each damper, which affects the thickening of the magneto-rheological fluid, within a millisecond.
When the ignition is turned OFF, the dampers offer very little damping. Vehicles are shipped from the factory with the suspension snugged down until the jounce bumper contacts a temporary plastic stuffer in each damper.
Important
The stuffers must be removed during new vehicle preparation. Failure to do so will result in customer dissatisfaction with the vehicle's ride quality.
In order to remove the stuffers, follow these steps:
1. Lift the vehicle, allowing the wheels to hang free. This will extend the dampers.
2. At the front, steer the wheel in the direction away from the side you're working on.
3. Reach up from below, behind the tire. At each wheel, compress the rubber dust boot.

Notice
After removing the stuffer, be sure to pull the dust boot down to cover the upper end of the damper tube in order to avoid damage to the suspension system.
4. Pull the yellow tab to remove the stuffer. Discard the stuffer.
Important
The stuffers should not be reinserted for temporary transport, such as on a flatbed hauler. The stuffer is effective only if the suspension can be snugged down enough for the jounce bumper to contact the stuffer. This is generally not possible on a flatbed hauler.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Not sure about the stuffers, but we appreciate you taking the time to post.
Thanks better safe than sorry. I am the 5th owner of mine and when I told the guy that had it before me about the problem He flipped. He thought that all Corvettes rode rough!

Oh And when I got the car home, I checked the tire pressure. It was 38# cold! Think that could make it ride harder?

Last edited by lwise4; 03-25-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Verbage
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
yes, sure they stopped doing that. i checked on that right after getting my 2011 and not being able to tell ANY difference when on or not on.

for a fyi.. here is the info (i think it has the tsb for prior to 2005)..

Info - New Vehicle Preparation for Magnetic Selective Ride Control #02-03-11-002A - (08/18/2003)
New Vehicle Preparation for Magnetic Selective Ride Control
2003-2004 Chevrolet Corvette
with Magnetic Selective Ride Control (RPO F55)
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-03-11-002 (Section 03 - Suspension).
Magnetic Selective Ride Control (RPO F55) will be available on the Corvette for model years 2003 and 2004.
Magnetic Selective Ride Control works like this: When the vehicle is being driven, various sensors pick up data which is processed by a control module. Using pulse-width modulation, the control module varies an electromagnetic field in each damper, which affects the thickening of the magneto-rheological fluid, within a millisecond.
When the ignition is turned OFF, the dampers offer very little damping. Vehicles are shipped from the factory with the suspension snugged down until the jounce bumper contacts a temporary plastic stuffer in each damper.
Important
The stuffers must be removed during new vehicle preparation. Failure to do so will result in customer dissatisfaction with the vehicle's ride quality.
In order to remove the stuffers, follow these steps:
1. Lift the vehicle, allowing the wheels to hang free. This will extend the dampers.
2. At the front, steer the wheel in the direction away from the side you're working on.
3. Reach up from below, behind the tire. At each wheel, compress the rubber dust boot.

Notice
After removing the stuffer, be sure to pull the dust boot down to cover the upper end of the damper tube in order to avoid damage to the suspension system.
4. Pull the yellow tab to remove the stuffer. Discard the stuffer.
Important
The stuffers should not be reinserted for temporary transport, such as on a flatbed hauler. The stuffer is effective only if the suspension can be snugged down enough for the jounce bumper to contact the stuffer. This is generally not possible on a flatbed hauler.
So what was the deal with your 2011?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

i'm told from others here, that if i were to take it on a road course, or over instant humps/swags (at a high speed), that i would tell the difference.

which to me just means, its not worth the price or its not actually connected. i have tried several places here in oklahoma that were long rough roads, bumps as well as dips, i nor my wife could tell when i switched it on and off.

anyway, doubt there is a resolution because there probably isnt a problem. i did expect a 'smoother ride' but it doesnt happen. replacing tires with non runflats made a HUGE improvement in ride and noise reduction.

thats why i did the research, to see if maybe i had the pull tab not removed. unfortunately thats not possible (they stopped doing that) it still baffles me that others say 'its wonderful how it improves the ride'. really..... hummmm

so if someone knows if a Tech2 can validate its actually functioning, that would be my next step.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Not exactly answering your question, but...

We have a 2009 with the Z51 suspension, the bombed-out roads of Illinois were annoying my back. I eventually replaced the Z51 shocks with base model shocks, the ride over "ordinary" bumps and potholes got somewhat better, but the ride over frost heaves and tar strips improved tremendously. (Surprisingly, handling didn't change much).

You might try the two different modes on a road with big tar strips and frost heaves that hit both wheels on one axle at the same time. And let us know what you finally discover!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
i'm told from others here, that if i were to take it on a road course, or over instant humps/swags (at a high speed), that i would tell the difference.

which to me just means, its not worth the price or its not actually connected. i have tried several places here in oklahoma that were long rough roads, bumps as well as dips, i nor my wife could tell when i switched it on and off.

anyway, doubt there is a resolution because there probably isnt a problem. i did expect a 'smoother ride' but it doesnt happen. replacing tires with non runflats made a HUGE improvement in ride and noise reduction.

thats why i did the research, to see if maybe i had the pull tab not removed. unfortunately thats not possible (they stopped doing that) it still baffles me that others say 'its wonderful how it improves the ride'. really..... hummmm

so if someone knows if a Tech2 can validate its actually functioning, that would be my next step.
Ya' know...I've read and reread all the reviews that claim they really feel the difference...I never have...over bumpy roads...washboards, etc...or a smoother ride in the touring position.

This is my 2nd 'vette with the option (an 09 and a 12) but I really can't feel any difference with either setting. I guess my dead *** is too callused! Or maybe it has too much built in cushioning!

Just my 2 cents....
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

I agree !! I really can't tell the difference so far.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

The F55 lovers will tell you that it's not about how soft the ride feels.
But if that's really true, why not make the system with only the Sport position?

OTOH-
Most of my friends with F55 say they CAN tell a difference, but the roads in Illinois will tell you if you've got 1 psi too much air in your tires.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I can feel a big difference in the ride with F55. Car was equipped with it when I bought it, I didn't order the option but I would not be without it now.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I just bought a 2013 Z06 with MSR. With this option, came Michelin tires. I've only had it in the touring mode. The car is much smoother than my 07 Z06 which did not have MSR running Bridgestone Potenzas.

Could be the tires?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Ozarkwoods
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My road 1 3/4 long going into my house is full of uneven tar patched pot holes cracks and all other uneven or bumpy asphalt. I definitely feel the difference between the two settings.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Selective Ride

Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
I just bought a 2013 Z06 with MSR. With this option, came Michelin tires. I've only had it in the touring mode. The car is much smoother than my 07 Z06 which did not have MSR running Bridgestone Potenzas.

Could be the tires?
Put her in sport and she will tighten up... I started out in tour for the fist 400 miles of break-in..got over 1500 on her now...Off topic: Welcome to the 1 of 471 club (13C6Z06)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vett3
Interesting. I don't feel much difference with my
new C6 and mag ride on or off. Will have to check this.
Thx!
I'm going to look at mine ASAP! Thanks for the heads up! Great info.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stockcar Axeman
I'm going to look at mine ASAP! Thanks for the heads up! Great info.
exactly what are you gonna look at? do you have a C5?

we already stated that the shocks that came from the factory (on C6's ) are-what-they-are, no stuffers put in so no stuffers to take out.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Selective Ride