C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do our C6 cars have "active fuel mgmt" that shuts down cylinders for better mpg ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM
abecon5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i wanted a 4 banger, I would by a 4 banger
Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADLS3
AFM was NOT just fine in my 2007 GMC Sierra.

I know exactly how it works and what issues it has.
So you think the same sytem in your 2007 Truck is what is going to be used in the 2014 Corvette?

My grandmother had a Chevy in the 1960s and she never had one again because she said it was garbage. The two speed automatic went out so thus all GM automatics were junk in her eyes no matter how new and better the technology worked. I laughed at her too.

Originally Posted by BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET.
So please tell me what increase in MPG you really saw? I just never was able to crunch the numbers.

As I said before ,on a long trip the 4cyl mode would be short lived. Always had a head wind or grade change to kick it back to V8 mode.

I was at the MPG circle track which is 4.5 miles around .It has no grade to deal with just wind.It is a banked perfect circle.
It would make it 2 miles before a head wind would kick it out . This was at 70 or 80 MPH doing a whip. Not much power at that speed for a 4cyl lock in.
So please don't tell me about ingnorance or not driving a car .
I hope the new system works ,I like the idea . I'm just a little leary.
Yup.

I like the idea of it as well. My biggest fear is the sound from the exhaust when it is not using all 8 cylinders. It sounds crappy enough with the NPP exhaust, throw that on there and you have a 15 hp Johnson boat engine sound. Lovely........
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
So you think the same sytem in your 2007 Truck is what is going to be used in the 2014 Corvette?

My grandmother had a Chevy in the 1960s and she never had one again because she said it was garbage. The two speed automatic went out so thus all GM automatics were junk in her eyes no matter how new and better the technology worked. I laughed at her too.
Did I say that? Please show me where I said that.

I have said all along that I would wait to see if/how they fixed the issues prior to buying one and that I would hope they fixed it. But I assume nothing...the issues they had with AFM in the trucks began in 2007 with a TSB as early as 2008 and the system remains the same today AFAIK. Lifter issues, oil consumption issues (with a lame TSB fix using a deflector inside the engine which only helps marginally).
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_B_Good
Active fuel management has no business on any Corvette.
No place, and thankfully I now have ZERO interest in the C7.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Did I say that? Please show me where I said that.

I have said all along that I would wait to see if/how they fixed the issues prior to buying one and that I would hope they fixed it. But I assume nothing...the issues they had with AFM in the trucks began in 2007 with a TSB as early as 2008 and the system remains the same today AFAIK. Lifter issues, oil consumption issues (with a lame TSB fix using a deflector inside the engine which only helps marginally).
Your past (bad) experience would have no bearing on this conversation what so ever if you really were waiting to see if/how they fixed the problem.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
mine does.it's called backinoffthegaswiththerightfoot technology or puttingitinneutralrollingdownhillonthehi ghway.It's there at my disposal,wherever and whenever I choose to engage it and it slows down all cylinders..
hahahah!!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by US Icon
When I learned GM was using active fuel mgmt on the C7, it played a part in my decision to buy a new C6.
Helped make my decision also. Between that and the styling, I've bought my final Vette.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET.
So please tell me what increase in MPG you really saw? I just never was able to crunch the numbers.

As I said before ,on a long trip the 4cyl mode would be short lived. Always had a head wind or grade change to kick it back to V8 mode.

I was at the MPG circle track which is 4.5 miles around .It has no grade to deal with just wind.It is a banked perfect circle.
It would make it 2 miles before a head wind would kick it out . This was at 70 or 80 MPH doing a whip. Not much power at that speed for a 4cyl lock in.
So please don't tell me about ingnorance or not driving a car .
I hope the new system works ,I like the idea . I'm just a little leary.
With tweaked AFM settings in HPTuners I had a pretty significant increase with it enabled on the highway. I left it enabled even if it only kicked on for a few minutes on a trip.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

AFM switchover is instant, if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't be able to tell me when it was on/off. It's not a "4 banger".
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Your past (bad) experience would have no bearing on this conversation what so ever if you really were waiting to see if/how they fixed the problem.
yeah, if you say so.

GM dropped the ball BIG TIME on their first attempt, Why should I be confident they will get it right on their 2nd attempt?

My wife's '11 Honda Accord has it (VCM) and it's a 6-4-3 system and it's flawless...with NO oil consumption. I have zero concern for it's reliability long-term. I cannot say the same about GM's system.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

yeah, if you say so.

GM dropped the ball BIG TIME on their first attempt, Why should I be confident they will get it right on their 2nd attempt?

My wife's '11 Honda Accord has it (VCM) and it's a 6-4-3 system and it's flawless...with NO oil consumption. I have zero concern for it's reliability long-term. I cannot say the same about GM's system.
If I say so? No question really, as I did say it. Well, since you are technical I should say type.

I am not so confident in the sytem either, GM did a terrible job with the first iteration and like you, I certainly hope they fixed it. Im not saying you should be confident. However, you tell me that you have and will continue to just wait till it comes out to pass judgement but you already have your reservations, pretty strong ones I might add. Asking the question "why should I" speaks that you are not waiting. If I am wrong I am sorry.

The oil consumption is a problem that GM has had with many vehicles, not just those who cut cylinders. They are always too quick to bring things to market (in my opinion) without doing enough long term research.

However, those with blown engines because of oil consumption deserve to have a blown engine. They should learn to check it once in a while. A low oil light is an idiot light....and named accordingly so.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by US Icon
Thankfully no.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah, if you say so.

It may be there 3rd attempt AFAIK, if you include the 1980"S version in Cadillac's V8-6-4.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

If I say so? No question really, as I did say it. Well, since you are technical I should say type.

I am not so confident in the sytem either, GM did a terrible job with the first iteration and like you, I certainly hope they fixed it. Im not saying you should be confident. However, you tell me that you have and will continue to just wait till it comes out to pass judgement but you already have your reservations, pretty strong ones I might add. Asking the question "why should I" speaks that you are not waiting. If I am wrong I am sorry.

The oil consumption is a problem that GM has had with many vehicles, not just those who cut cylinders. They are always too quick to bring things to market (in my opinion) without doing enough long term research.

However, those with blown engines because of oil consumption deserve to have a blown engine. They should learn to check it once in a while. A low oil light is an idiot light....and named accordingly so.
Looks like we are in agreement then.

I will not trust GM's AFM system until I see the issues have been fixed after a few years of production. I will not buy ANY GM vehicle with AFM until then. I also likely will not buy a full size truck or a Vette with it unless it can be disabled (as it is in my 2007 GMC). It simply does not belong in trucks or sports cars IMO. Put it in the high-volume V6 sedans like my wife's Accord, I have no issue with that.

For one thing, it does ZERO good in a 5000+lb brick-on-wheels truck. And this I know because I did several long-term comparisons with my truck with and without it enabled and I found ZERO difference in average MPG...none, nada, zilch. Why GM did not go to a 8/6 system instead of a 8/4 system for the trucks is beyond me. At least then it would have a chance to actually stay active in situations other than coasting and under-60mph flat-freeway driving with no load and no headwind.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob 99
It may be there 3rd attempt AFAIK, if you include the 1980"S version in Cadillac's V8-6-4.
That was a completely different system that was way ahead of it's time. Processors were too slow back then.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Looks like we are in agreement then.

I will not trust GM's AFM system until I see the issues have been fixed after a few years of production. I will not buy ANY GM vehicle with AFM until then. I also likely will not buy a full size truck or a Vette with it unless it can be disabled (as it is in my 2007 GMC). It simply does not belong in trucks or sports cars IMO. Put it in the high-volume V6 sedans like my wife's Accord, I have no issue with that.

For one thing, it does ZERO good in a 5000+lb brick-on-wheels truck. And this I know because I did several long-term comparisons with my truck with and without it enabled and I found ZERO difference in average MPG...none, nada, zilch. Why GM did not go to a 8/6 system instead of a 8/4 system for the trucks is beyond me. At least then it would have a chance to actually stay active in situations other than coasting and under-60mph flat-freeway driving with no load and no headwind.
All good points.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Dodge R/T Challengers with 5.7 engine with automatic transmission which has MDS feature - multi-displacement system are blowing off their timing chains.

Get notified of new replies

To do our C6 cars have "active fuel mgmt" that shuts down cylinders for better mpg ?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Certainly is there 3rd attempt ... Other than the Vega engine, that early 80s Cadillac V8-6-4 was the biggest POS engine GM ever made!

________________________________________ ____

" In the end, the 1980s were not a good time for Cadillac. The folly of both the Cimarron and the V8-6-4 engine almost drove the prestigious brand to bankruptcy and forced consumers to write the Cadillac name off of their shopping lists. According to popular automotive culture, current Cadillac product director John Howell has a photo on his wall with a caption that sums everything up best: ..... “Lest we forget. ”

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-25-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

No.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
C4Lou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I used to have a 2010 Camaro L99/A6, bought it new and had the dealer install the performance exhaust before delivery. It was always kicking in and out of 4 cylinder mode. I could feel the slight hesitation when it kicked back into 8 cylinders. Worst of all, it sounded really horrible through the performance exhaust. Bothered me so much, I tried to get the dealer to deactivate the AFM. They wouldn't do it so I bought a programmer and did it myself. Enjoyed driving it much better afterwards and the funny thing was I didn't really notice much of a drop in mpg.

Quick Reply: do our C6 cars have "active fuel mgmt" that shuts down cylinders for better mpg ?