C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power top vs manual: which is faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:59 PM
150kWh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power top vs manual: which is faster?

Silly question?--maybe. But I'm asking about practical, everyday situations, not a stat. The time starting from the moment you decide the top needs to change. I'm hoping to hear from convertible owners, hopefully the folks who have (or currently) own both.

And for all I know, the answer might be different for the top going down vs going up. I'm thinking mostly about the situation where you got caught with the top down & it needs to go up.

Manual top owners:
  • How often have you decided to keep the top up in case the weather turns bad?
  • Can you close the roof without getting out of the car?
  • If you're stuck at a light and it's started raining, do you have time to put the roof up?

Power top owners:
  • Same questions... Considering how long it takes to put the top up, have you kept it up if the weather looks iffy?
  • If you're stuck at a light, do you have time to put the roof up?
  • 1-click e-brake trick: do you use it to get the top to go down while moving, and if so any trouble there?

And for both, this mid-west weather scenario:
  • Cruising topless on a slow highway, about 50-45 mph, and it starts raining
  • You pull over to put the top up
  • Which car would have less water inside?
I can see the argument that a power top can start going up before you're fully stopped. But it's slower in general, especially if the adrenaline is pumping. Which top is more useful in practical situations?

PS, off topic, but I think everyone agrees that the power top would be more expensive to repair, but the same can be said for a power window vs manual. It's a convenience item that many people are willing to pay for.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 AM
AaronDoud
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the power top and I have done it at stop lights before and I don't fear the weather. I can pull off the road and put it up pretty fast.

I think both would get the job done.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

You are over thinking this.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 AM
150kWh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racer
You are over thinking this.
I over think everything. Scientist. (really)

Also, some folks want to sell me a manual top, even though (for a C6) power top is a "must have" item. Rule handed down from my wife. But the question about which is faster... I really don't know.

Still hoping to hear from someone with experience living with both
Old 03-24-2013, 01:17 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,650 Likes on 817 Posts

It takes less time to put the top down or up, on a manual set up vs. power.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 AM
mau
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS

Had a manual top on my c5, my c6's have always had the power top.
The manual top is much faster. I would prefer a manual top but the power top is always included in the option package on my vehicle.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have an 06 vert with manual top. In a hurry I believe I could raise or lower the top, starting from a seated position in less than a minute. Granted, I can't do it w/o getting out of the car but for the optioned price for a power top, unless it came in an options package, it wouldn't be worth the money.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't got to worry about my Manual top not working ! Less to go wrong !
Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 AM
netacoma2003
Racer

Think of the improved acceleration you'll have without lugging all that extra weight from the power top!

...oh, and I'm power top all day long.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 AM
sxs191
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never tried the e-brake 1 click trick, I will have to. It takes 18 seconds to put up or down.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 573 Likes on 348 Posts

I have had both. I now have power and would never give up the power. 18-20 seconds, no hassle, Seriously.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 150kWh
Silly question?--maybe. But I'm asking about practical, everyday situations, not a stat. The time starting from the moment you decide the top needs to change. I'm hoping to hear from convertible owners, hopefully the folks who have (or currently) own both.

And for all I know, the answer might be different for the top going down vs going up. I'm thinking mostly about the situation where you got caught with the top down & it needs to go up.

Manual top owners:
  • How often have you decided to keep the top up in case the weather turns bad?
  • Can you close the roof without getting out of the car?
  • If you're stuck at a light and it's started raining, do you have time to put the roof up?

Power top owners:
  • Same questions... Considering how long it takes to put the top up, have you kept it up if the weather looks iffy?
  • If you're stuck at a light, do you have time to put the roof up?
  • 1-click e-brake trick: do you use it to get the top to go down while moving, and if so any trouble there?

And for both, this mid-west weather scenario:
  • Cruising topless on a slow highway, about 50-45 mph, and it starts raining
  • You pull over to put the top up
  • Which car would have less water inside?
I can see the argument that a power top can start going up before you're fully stopped. But it's slower in general, especially if the adrenaline is pumping. Which top is more useful in practical situations?

PS, off topic, but I think everyone agrees that the power top would be more expensive to repair, but the same can be said for a power window vs manual. It's a convenience item that many people are willing to pay for.
The power top is more convenient . The manual top is faster by probably 2X's . Back in 06 when I ordered my vert , I specified the manual top . Lighter , faster , 2 grand less , and when we put the top down , it's down for the day.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 AM
whiteboy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

The power top is more technical in its operation takes about 10 sec to go up or and down. The manual top has way less to go wrong mechanically. You have to get out of the car to put it up or down and it also takes about 20 sec to put up or down.
Let the rest of the car you are considering make your decision. The top is rarely a problem with either.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS

It takes less time if you were setting in a parking lot or driveway, but if your at a light, it can take more time to safely get out of your car, vs 1 click on the E-brake and put it up on a roll.

With a manual top I have left the top up more than with the power top in iffy weather.

Having owned both, I would go with the power top. Don't worry about it breaking, power tops have a good track record.

Last edited by JKbride; 03-24-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM
MG120
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The manual is definitely faster to put up or down, if you don't count having to get out of the car to do it.

For me, strictly for the convenience of not having to get out, I have the power top.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by MG120
The manual is definitely faster to put up or down, if you don't count having to get out of the car to do it.

For me, strictly for the convenience of not having to get out, I have the power top.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^ If you are in traffic or where you can't get well off the highway .................... Nah !
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 798 Posts

Responses: 1) Yep, you are worrying too much about the differences; 2) I have manual...works great, takes about 25 seconds from sitting in the seat, open the latch, get out, put seat forward, push button under rear hatch, lift up hatch, fold top into rear compartment carefully (so as not to catch or rub it), close hatch, get back in. 3) My decision was based on cost....didnt want to pay all that money that would have been required to get the power top when buying new. My 2008 is a base base convertible with automatic. 4) Satisfy yourself on which you want...as long as you dont mind getting out to open/close its no big deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Power top vs manual: which is faster?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Simple solution ............ Buy a C7 All the tops will be power ! Better yet, they will open or close using the fob.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

power top
Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 AM
150kWh
Instructor

Beautiful car! And from a purely value standpoint, manual top might make more sense, as long as the car is in season and the buyer didn't have their heart set on it.
Originally Posted by gilbybarr
Responses: ...takes about 25 seconds from sitting in the seat, open the latch, get out, put seat forward, push ...
anyone disagree with the 18 second number for power top? If not it's starting to sound like I was wrong, and the power top is just faster, hands down.

I'm curious if a cable could be fitted that raises the tonneau, that could be operated while seated. (thread in c6 tech) If possible that would make the manual roof much easier to live with. Still in the feasibility check stage, though, insight welcome

Last edited by 150kWh; 03-24-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: c6 tech, not c5

Quick Reply: Power top vs manual: which is faster?