C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much oil does your car use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much oil does your car use?

I use about 1/2 a qt every 1000 miles and my engine has maybe 15k on it. The engine was built with nitrous rings and gapped a little lose. Friday I dropped it off at the shop and told them to do a leak down. What would you consider a bad % on an LS3? My catch can had about 1/2 a shot glass of oil in it and I have no leaks at all. The car is driven calm 70% of the time, or what I consider calm. I know it is time to change out my valve springs because I have 15k on them and the builder said the cam would wear them out around 15k. Could this be a valve seal issue and not rings? I got on the car with my wife behind me and she said it might have blew a little smoke,but it does not smoke when I am driving. I also get a oil burning smell at idle from time to time, but I have no cats so the car always stinks at idle.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

zero
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car uses 0 in 7000 miles. From what you describe 1/2 qt of (what weight and brand of oil)) dosen't sound too bad in 1000 miles. Engine sounds pretty hot. Got a big cam also? Any video of the car and what it sounds like?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

None
Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ketchum
My car uses 0 in 7000 miles. From what you describe 1/2 qt of (what weight and brand of oil)) dosen't sound too bad in 1000 miles. Engine sounds pretty hot. Got a big cam also? Any video of the car and what it sounds like?

I use Mobil 1 10/30 but I have really been thinking about switching to Brad Penn 20/50. I use brad penn in all my BBC performance engines and I burn a drop but if I use Mobil 1 I end up using oil. The only reason I have not switched is because I am not sure if Brad Penn is designed to handle the high oil temps of the LS3.

Here is a video of the car at idle.

If you look up polecat416 on YouTube you can see the cars videos

Last edited by Crowhater; 03-17-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

A stroked,big cam,loose ring set engine. I bet a lot of piston wall clearance.No telling how much valve guide wear in 15,000 miles If it was me I sure wouldn't be chasing a oil usage issue until it got a fair amount worse. I think your on the right track investigating 'other' oils. Have you asked the engine builder or someone familer with this type set up.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

A stroked,big cam,loose ring set engine. I bet a lot of piston wall clearance.No telling how much valve guide wear in 15,000 miles If it was me I sure wouldn't be chasing a oil usage issue until it got a fair amount worse. I think your on the right track investigating 'other' oils. Have you asked the engine builder or someone familer with this type set up.

I wish I could but the economy got him like it did so many others and they are out of business. Was planning on pulling the heads to get some work done on them and as just trying to decide if I should have the short block freshened up.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Reading about Brad Penn oil. It is used in hotter running air cooled motors. But think I'd try the Mobil 1 20w50 first..It had some really good reviews in the big block blown bloat classes. It also appears to be better priced. They run pretty darn hot.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Reading about Brad Penn oil. It is used in hotter running air cooled motors. But think I'd try the Mobil 1 20w50 first..It had some really good reviews in the big block blown bloat classes. It also appears to be better priced. They run pretty darn hot.
This is the dyno sheet from my 540 BBC and I am telling you it will puke Mobil 1 out the valve cover breathers if I run it. When I use Brad Penn my oil temps are lower and I don't burn or push any oil at high RPMs. The engine is on my airboat so a vacuum pump is not a viable option. The other reason I run BP is because it has Zinc in it already so I don't have to add any additives to protect my camshaft.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock LS3 - No oil usage between changes. BTW, I LOVE your avatar!

Get notified of new replies

To How much oil does your car use?

Quick Reply: How much oil does your car use?