C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ownership proficiency?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Chip A
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ownership proficiency?

How long did it take you to become proficient in using all the systems / features on your car? Based on many of the posts seen here there seems like there is a lot to learn. It appears that a lot of serious familiarization with the owner’s manual is needed to even begin to fully understand all the features this car has to offer. How often do you have to dig out the owner’s manual for help?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I read the entire owners manual the night I bought the car. I sat in it the next day and went over all the options and how to work everything like setting the driver preferences. So for me it took maybe 2 days. By being on this forum you will probably find other things you didn't know about long after you've had the car.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 PM
C6_Mike
Instructor

i got it 2 weeks ago and still can't get it programmed to my garage door opener

Also just found the "exit mode" on the seats which apparently was set to all the way up and tilted forward by the previous owner.... that was fun...

I'm got that "gas pedal" figured out really quick though
Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVRose
I read the entire owners manual the night I bought the car. I sat in it the next day and went over all the options and how to work everything like setting the driver preferences. So for me it took maybe 2 days. By being on this forum you will probably find other things you didn't know about long after you've had the car.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip A
How long did it take you to become proficient in using all the systems / features on your car? Based on many of the posts seen here there seems like there is a lot to learn. It appears that a lot of serious familiarization with the owner’s manual is needed to even begin to fully understand all the features this car has to offer. How often do you have to dig out the owner’s manual for help?
honestly i am still learning. i read the manual in the first two days, every dang gone page. most is totally worthless but did it anyway.

i spend time here and i learn maybe 5 new things every day. searching for a solution to a question, even it i know i am not qualified to answer, teaches me alot. (then i wont answer if it would be b.s.)

i learned 3 things today (or more). i did the owners manual twice today, once for a 2007 and once for a 2005.

i suppose being proficient to me would mean.. dont get myself into trouble and how to get outa it if i do. still learning!!!!!!

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-12-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure, I'll let you know when I get there. I've had the car since September 2011 and still learning things about it. But I don't like to cheat and read owner's manuals, I'd rather learn as I go, it's more fun...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We are supposed to be Proficient ????
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

No different than other vehicles.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 277 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

If you have owned a GM product recently you might get the hang of things a little quicker. This is my 1st in about 25 years so there was no hope for me. I did the same as most and read much of the manual absorbed a little, asked questions on the forum and got a lot here. Barely have the basics with the Nav system but some of it is intuitive. Have not read Paul's write up on the Nav but I will get to it. There is more info here than you will ever get in a manual!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I have owned my 2012 about a year. I learned everything except the NAV system in the first two weeks. I am STILL trying to figure out the NAV a year later...

BTW, I mastered my 1st Garmin GPS in under 10 minutes...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 729 Likes on 464 Posts

Still learning.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,056 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We previously owned a C5, which helped a lot.

Before picking up our C6 in Bowling Green (Museum delivery), I downloaded the Owner Manual and printed out the whole thing, took a ream of paper. But I read it from cover to cover, even those first 50+ pages aboout how to wear a seat belt.

Then at the Museum, we got an hour of personal instruction from our delivery guy. Great.

So, I knew most of the stuff before my first drive. But that was 7 years/99,000 miles ago ago and I'm still learning new things.

If you have the factory nav, CF member talon90 has a website with an excellent tutorial for the nav, which is a pretty good system but not easy to learn. Or, half an hour sitting in your car with someone who knows and likes the factory nav will be time spent well.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Rowboat66
Racer

Originally Posted by Chip A
The C6 is my only GM vehicle... each spring there is a learning curve with the man/machine interface!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Good Post.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Chip A
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rowboat66
The C6 is my only GM vehicle... each spring there is a learning curve with the man/machine interface!
This is exactly what I was thinking! Thank you all for your thoughts. From previous posts about low voltage battery conditions you really need this forum to figure out the various wild card issues that a under charged battery can cause. You folks do a nice job in trouble shooting problems on this forum.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Three years later I have all the systems down....except for the Navi, that will probably take me another 3 years to master....
Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
...except for the Navi, that will probably take me another 3 years to master....
Yep. I read the Navi manual. Watched a couple videos. I'm leaving for Florida on Friday. I'm taking my Tom Tom.

Get notified of new replies

To Ownership proficiency?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sure the time spent learning the various features varies from person to person and priority is given to essential features over those you rarely use. With any new product I read the owner's manual (some sections more than once) to get a general understanding of what the features are and how to use them. Some features are intuitive and easily understood while others require the hands-on approach....trial and error with the owner's manual in-hand. Some features you'll never use; some things may only be set once then forgotten; and, some things you only learn when you have to.

I don't recall having any major problems learning what I needed to and getting the car setup initially. Afterwards, I continue the learning process here on the forum (and by going back into the owner's manual). I don't claim to know everything about the car but I managed to get everything I wanted to work. I live in Arizona....one of these days I'll figure out how to use the heater.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends what you want to know. I learn what I need to know for what I want to do. When my habits change then I find out what I need to know again and do what I need then.

As an example, I never had to reprogram the TPMS. Now that I have 2 sets of wheels, I'll be learning how to do it in the spring.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

About the same here, although was on the forum prior to taking delivery of my Vette,so learned a lot ahead of time.

Quick Reply: Ownership proficiency?