C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 convertible tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
saratoga
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c6 convertible tips

I'm looking to purchase a c6 convertible. What issues should I be looking for?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

If it has the power top make sure that it is functioning by putting it up and down 2 or three times and check the interior headliner for rips near the rear upper corner of the side windows.

From another thread on the headliner areas to check:

Name:  000_0443.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  39.8 KB

Last edited by RJRSW; 03-12-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 PM
cutnout
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a few convertibles so here goes, I stick with the dark top usually black. The light colors show crease marks or in sticky climes-mold specks. But they look good when clean so-choices choices. Good luck cutnout
Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 PM
spice
Advanced

i have an 06 vert - manual top. simple. takes abt 20 seconds to put top up or down. i see no reason to go with power top = $ and if it doesnt work it will b when its raining and u need it.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
spice
Advanced

also they all have creases in them. nature of beast . no biggie
Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spice
i have an 06 vert - manual top. simple. takes abt 20 seconds to put top up or down. i see no reason to go with power top = $ and if it doesnt work it will b when its raining and u need it.
The power top comes with a tool that allows the top to be put up or down manually if needed.

I have owned around 20 vette converts and had not owned one with a power assisted top since my 57 fuelie. I have had both the manual and power top and didn't think it was a big deal until I had the C6 with a power top, after having the power top I would not go without the convenience of putting it up or down without moving from the drivers seat and for me it is now a must have.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cutnout
I have had a few convertibles so here goes, I stick with the dark top usually black. The light colors show crease marks or in sticky climes-mold specks. But they look good when clean so-choices choices. Good luck cutnout
I haven't found that the lighter tops were any harder to keep up than my black ones were and minor creases show up in both when first putting the top back up.

This photo shows the lite oak top on my 2001 when it was 10 years old and had 95k miles on the car. Just used
Raggtopp cleaner and conditioner products on it once a year.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an 08 and never have had any issues whatsoever and my top has been up and down A LOT. Cant help you with what to look for.

I would personally go Power Top. I have owned many verts over the years both manual and power. I wouldnt even consider a vert unless the top was power. Just my opinion.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

the top frames are poorly designed, The frame will catch the headliner and tear the crap out of it . at 450 a pop , it sucks. In post #2 the top circle is where the frame catches the headliner and then its a done deal.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 921 Likes on 456 Posts

Blue skies.
Go for it.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RJRSW
The power top comes with a tool that allows the top to be put up or down manually if needed.

I have owned around 20 vette converts and had not owned one with a power assisted top since my 57 fuelie. I have had both the manual and power top and didn't think it was a big deal until I had the C6 with a power top, after having the power top I would not go without the convenience of putting it up or down without moving from the drivers seat and for me it is now a must have.
Love the power top! Black top a must. Yes, they all have creases. Even in the rain soaked Pacific NW a convertible is twice as much fun as a coupe. (I've had both).
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by saratoga
I'm looking to purchase a c6 convertible. What issues should I be looking for?
I bought an 06 grey over silver one owner always garaged vert in July. The top looks like new. I can tell it wasn't stored down for extended periods or when dirty. That's how creases start. It is a manual and very easy to put up or down but you can't do it while seated. Still, about 30 seconds is all it takes. Inspect it closely inside and out for wear or rips, even repaired rips, small over sewn spots. Don't use brushes to clean it as they can catch and snag the material. I watched the workers where I occasionally take mine for a wash and they used soft sponges and immediately rinsed and then blew the material dry with an air hose. They also placed bags over the mirrors during the wash....hadn't occurred to me but I can see the value in it now.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by INGER67
Love the power top! Black top a must. Yes, they all have creases. Even in the rain soaked Pacific NW a convertible is twice as much fun as a coupe. (I've had both).

Says it all: go power, black, it will show creases, FUN
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TerryL
I bought an 06 grey over silver one owner always garaged vert in July. The top looks like new. I can tell it wasn't stored down for extended periods or when dirty. That's how creases start.
I have a black top on my 2007 and here in Tucson it is common for me to leave the top down for 2-3 months at a time and the creases disappear very soon after putting it back up.

The only thing I use for cleaning the dust out of the top is a horse hair shoe brush and it never does any damage as the bristles are soft enough to not do any damage.

This is a photo of my 2007's 6 1/2 year old top a couple of days after it had been down for two months straight:

Get notified of new replies

To c6 convertible tips

Quick Reply: c6 convertible tips