C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum Delivery Experts Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Museum Delivery Experts Wanted

We want to do Museum Delivery. We are not thrilled with the prospect of driving the car 1700 miles home. Not because of the car. It will be a daily driver. But because of our butts and backs. Qualified for Medicare way back when which takes some of the allure out of long car rides.

GM still invoices the destination charge even with Museum delivery just like if they hauled it all the way to AZ. Could we do Museum delivery and still have GM haul the car to Tucson? Seems they might since we paid the destination charge with the price of the car.

Alternatively, we could hire a private hauler to pick it up in Bowling Green and truck it home. Likely not much more than the cost of 4-5 hotel nights, meals, and gas.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by papillion; 03-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:53 PM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Call the museum and ask them. Call the dealer and ask, have the dealer call the museum.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM
TrekWater88
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't think GM will pay for a truck to ship it home for you. I took delivery and drove home, but my drive was 485 miles, not the 1700 you mentioned. There are a few transport services that will deliver to your front door, but since I didn't use one, you'll have to rely on others to steer you in the right direction. I enjoyed my museum delivery, but I did NOT get the factory tour as they were shut down when I took delivery. But, they owe it to me, so I will eventually get it. Hopefully others will chime in on transport services so you don't have to endure the long drive home. Good Luck!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 PM
cshanne
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will deliver it for gas and hotel. Especially if it is a ZR-1, a Z06 or a 427 ;-)

The last time I had a car shipped from NC to CA, it cost around $1500 and I used DAS

http://www.dasautoshippers.com

They did a good job for me. Actually I used them twice, one car from NC to CA and two years later, two cars from CA to NC. It has been awhile but you can get a basic quote on their website.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

You are the second person within the last week that has had the museum delivery option that did not want to drive the car home. Most suggsted to call the museum a head of time and see if they could recommend a private hauler.

I knew that even with the RPO code R8C you still pay the dealer destination charge. If you want the car shipped to the dealership, I don't see why the museum would not see that it went that way. It would seem like the car could me moved over to the factory holding lot and it could be sent on the next transporter heading that way. I may sit for a longer period then if you hire a private company, but you would save the money.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 PM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Did museum delivery in November and drove 900 miles back to Houston. Seats were very comfortable. No back pain, but I'm only 63, so not yet on Medicare
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Some suggestions: there is a CF car hauler of long-standing reputation, Intercity, and they give a CF member discount. They are also one of the oldest and best carriers.

That said, I understand your reluctance to do a 1700 mile trip, but a few reasons TO DO IT come to mind. First of all, the Plant tour (assuming you do it when the Plant is operational) is so instructive and inspiring that both you and your wife will enjoy it. So is the Museum tour.

Second of course is the Museum preparation of your car is excellent, but you'll get that either way you do it. The staff is there to help you, encourage you, and welcome you, and it is their volunteers (usually retired former GM workers) who give the tours of both Plant and Museum specifically for you alone.

Third, this is a time to really enjoy the ride back, alternating driving styles to be the one who breaks in the car, and you'll both get to "See the USA, in your Chevrolet (Corvette)"---sorry, had to get that in there.

Plus, your seats will not let you down. You will not be uncomfortable.

Finally, if you want, ask on here for a route that is interesting or things to see along the way to get you home.

Not to try and sell you on the visit to/drive home from the Museum/Plant, but the Museum DOES have a nifty, large store that has uncounted good stuff for sale. Unless you practice great restraint, you will buy at least a few "things."

Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

When you opt for museum delivery, the destination charge that you see on the window sticker covers getting the car from the plant to the museum. The cost seems outrageous but the number is the same regardless of how far the delivering dealer is from the plant; in other words, they charge the same amount whether the car is being transported to the museum, a Chevy dealership in Bowling Green, or a Chevy dealership in NW Washington. If after having the car delivered to the museum you want it trucked to your local dealership, your only option is to arrange for your own shipping and foot the bill yourself.

FWIW, if you're not going to drive the car home it seems like there's not much of a point to doing museum delivery. Why pay the extra shipping cost and return airfare? Drive it home!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AORoads
Some suggestions: there is a CF car hauler of long-standing reputation, Intercity, and they give a CF member discount. They are also one of the oldest and best carriers.

That said, I understand your reluctance to do a 1700 mile trip, but a few reasons TO DO IT come to mind. First of all, the Plant tour (assuming you do it when the Plant is operational) is so instructive and inspiring that both you and your wife will enjoy it. So is the Museum tour.

Second of course is the Museum preparation of your car is excellent, but you'll get that either way you do it. The staff is there to help you, encourage you, and welcome you, and it is their volunteers (usually retired former GM workers) who give the tours of both Plant and Museum specifically for you alone.

Third, this is a time to really enjoy the ride back, alternating driving styles to be the one who breaks in the car, and you'll both get to "See the USA, in your Chevrolet (Corvette)"---sorry, had to get that in there.

Finally, if you want, ask on here for a route that is interesting or things to see along the way to get you home.

Not to try and sell you on the visit to/drive home from the Museum/Plant, but the Museum DOES have a nifty, large store that has uncounted good stuff for sale. Unless you practice great restraint, you will buy at least a few "things."

Only you know the physical details, and even then you're somewhat guessing unless you have time in the new C6 seats. Our club has several people in their 70's and one couple in their mid-80's who drive all over the country in their C6.

I would encourage you to consider doing the drive, hopefully you're retired by now and can take your time. Plan on driving just an hour on the first day, then stop for the night. Two hours on the second day and then stop, etc. If you ask here, people will help you plan the route and give you things to do at the stops, so you are having fun and not just sitting around.

Either way, enjoy the new car!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

We were collecting Medicare when we picked ours up at the Museum eight years ago and we live in Southern California. If I get a C7 we will do it again.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 AM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

Originally Posted by papillion
We want to do Museum Delivery. We are not thrilled with the prospect of driving the car 1700 miles home. Not because of the car. It will be a daily driver. But because of our butts and backs. Qualified for Medicare way back when which takes some of the allure out of long car rides.

Any thoughts?
I did a museum delivery Sept 17, 2013 via Bowling Green, KY to MO to WI then home to TX (over many days time). When I got home it was around 4200 miles on the vette. The longest haul was WI to LA I think it was around 1200 miles. Drove from 7am until 2am. I was making stops at Harley Davidson shops along the way. I am 44, back or butt wasnt hurting one bit... your smile on your face for driving your new vette might hurt after a while but you will get used it. My advice would take extra time for the trip and make plenty of stops to see the Good Ole USA.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 AM
K7MXE
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I did the museum delivery and drove home to Washington state and at 275 pounds my butt was not sore. I was the lucky one to get the last museum delivery. Actually a couple of us did separate tours at the same time. Sept 14, 2012 and was nice driving with some top down included. I am 65 and had no issues so I figure if I can do it so can you. Go for it!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

I have taken three C6s including a Z06 and ZR1 back to Houston from BG and I can say for both myself and the wife that the cars are quite comfortable. I definitely prefer the seats in the C6 than I do in our CTS Wagon for long trips. The caddie seats are way too hard. Wife and I qualify as senior citizens. I doubt GM will deliver twice and certainly not to your doorstep. Plenty of private transport haulers that will pick up from BG.

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery Experts Wanted

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery Experts Wanted