C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a deer today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:05 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've hit deer twice up here in northern suburbs of NYC... never with the vette. Dusk seems to be the most high-risk time, but you have to keep your eyes open!!... Glad you weren't hurt and no major damage. I've researched the deer whistles and the like, but it really looks like a bunch of snake oil.. I think you just have to 'stay frosty' as they say, and expect them..

If anybody has implemented any type of deer repellent (on the vette) that they feel is actually effective, I'd like to hear about it. I think the cars are too loud if you're moving faster than 20mph anyways...

cheers.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've nailed multiple rabbits, birds, a German Shepherd, and my wife backed into me. Sometimes I think my C6 is possessed.

Bird:

After German Shepherd $6000 to fix:

After wife backed into me $6500 to fix:

Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Here in Florida we get a lot of wild pigs in collisions with cars.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycajun
I had barely missed one recently... Then the second one plows head first into the side of the car. Took out the fender, headlight, mirror, door. Never saw it... Luckily I was in the daily driver. $2,500 in damage. Only doing 30 mph two blocks from the house. They are some kind of stupid...
They work in teams. One gets your attention and lets you miss it, and then its partner yells "Allahu akhbar" or "Banzai" or whatever and charges from the blind side.

Whenever I see a deer, I stand on the brakes, come to a stop or at least a walking pace, lean on the horn, and rev the engine. At some point the deer will get the hint and run off. If the horn doesn't scare them, the 430hp roar usually will. Haven't hit one yet.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I almost totalled my brand new 69 Ply Road Runner when I hit a wild donkey at about 110 mph outside of Las Vegas back in the day (no speed limits in Nevada back then).

The donkey completely destroyed the front end of the car.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I almost totalled my brand new 69 Ply Road Runner when I hit a wild donkey at about 110 mph outside of Las Vegas back in the day (no speed limits in Nevada back then).

The donkey completely destroyed the front end of the car.
The donkey said "Hee haw lin ***".
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Wait, so they hit a deer hard enough that it goes flying over your car and lands in some soft leaves, gets up and goes on its way?

Sorry, every deer I have hit that that goes flying off the road is seriously screwed up and either dead when it hits the ground or is about dead. Also, how did it get up over your car? The impact from the other car to the deer would be at deer level meaning Corvette door level, which contrary to most peoples belief a female deer is only about 24-27" tall at the top of back.

Originally Posted by 23outlaw
Wow you are very lucky, here in Pa you always have to scan the roads for deer on the sides. Im happy to here you didnt have much damage
No joke!

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
Yeah, those chubbys want a ride all the time. Have to tell them they are bucket seats, not wheelbarrow seats.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 AM
petervetter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you are ok. i won't drive in certain areas near my house in the evenings because of the huge deer population. if you want to see scary. pull up the post of the guy in west va (i think) tracking his c5 at very high speed when he nails a deer runing across the track in front of him. im sure he is still cleaning out the drivers seat even now.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Dinner/
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
The donkey said "Hee haw lin ***".
?

*puts on thinking cap*

*hours later*

ohhhh ...
Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I had a peacock run right out and into the side of the front wheel on my motorcycle once...what a mess...
Old 03-11-2013, 02:02 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Originally Posted by alyupe11
Lady Luck was on your side
Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Deer are just plain dumb
They should only cross the road,
Where the Deer crossing (signs) are placed..
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by zcarbon
Deer are just plain dumb
They should only cross the road,
Where the Deer crossing (signs) are placed..
So you remember the audio of a woman complaining about the state putting deer crossing signs on busy highways? lol

Good lord she is a retard.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
They work in teams. One gets your attention and lets you miss it, and then its partner yells "Allahu akhbar" or "Banzai" or whatever and charges from the blind side........
I came over a hill at about 65 mph and there was a deer standing in the middle of my lane. I braked and turned a little and missed it, but another one jumped out of the ditch and I hit it square in the middle. It came back over the hood and hit the pop up headlamps ('94 vette) and flew over the roof. It was an exciting couple of moments.

Two shops and about $7k later it looked good again.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
So you remember the audio of a woman complaining about the state putting deer crossing signs on busy highways? lol

Good lord she is a retard.
Made my week
Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM
C6 CYAA
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Wait, so they hit a deer hard enough that it goes flying over your car and lands in some soft leaves, gets up and goes on its way?

Sorry, every deer I have hit that that goes flying off the road is seriously screwed up and either dead when it hits the ground or is about dead. Also, how did it get up over your car? The impact from the other car to the deer would be at deer level meaning Corvette door level, which contrary to most peoples belief a female deer is only about 24-27" tall at the top of back.

I have no idea?? My front spitter is only 2" off the ground. There was a small scuff on the splitter and small mud mark that looked like a fur print on the bumper. I didn't hear a hit. I stood on the brakes and must have just clipped the doe as I came to a stop and she was jumping up. Maybe it was just enough to give her a lift??? She landed on the up hill incline on the side of the road in the soft leaves.

No joke!

Yeah, those chubbys want a ride all the time. Have to tell them they are bucket seats, not wheelbarrow seats.
I have no idea?? My front spitter is only 2" off the ground. There was a small scuff on the splitter and small mud mark that looked like a fur print on the bumper. I didn't hear a hit. I stood on the brakes and must have just clipped the doe as I came to a stop and she was jumping up. Maybe it was just enough to give her a lift??? She landed on the up hill incline on the side of the road in the soft leaves.

Get notified of new replies

To Hit a deer today...

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 PM
donzi1
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
I always stop the Vette first...then let them out...Ed
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Rowboat66
Racer

Originally Posted by franman69
I've hit deer twice up here in northern suburbs of NYC... never with the vette. Dusk seems to be the most high-risk time, but you have to keep your eyes open!!... Glad you weren't hurt and no major damage. I've researched the deer whistles and the like, but it really looks like a bunch of snake oil..
We drove 30 miles to work for 35 years and saw a ton of deer (fall into winter), but more importantly they saw us. Deer whistles do work by getting the attention of the deer without the "startle" factor. I've even had them stand 2 feet off the edge of the highway and watch me drive by. We would make eye contact! The secret with deer whistles is to keep them cleaned out. Bugs and flies will clog them over the summer, so you have to wash them out. Once they get a few flies in them, they don't work. BTW I don't have them on the vette, just on the DD.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Brady Kohuth
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6 CYAA
I read that 36,000 deer are killed by motor vehicles a year in Maryland. I've lived here 18 years and have had two near misses like this. I'm very lucky...So far.
You must have hunters in that state that are poor shots.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer today...