C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there mufflers w/ better flow than stock without being loud?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Are there mufflers w/ better flow than stock without being loud?

It is my understanding that an engine is basically an air pump and as such, changing the intake and exhaust are the first steps in making that pump more efficient. My car has good power now but I'm not opposed to more. And I plan to get a tuner to make the A6 shift quicker in (Sport) paddle shift mode. Since I have to have a tuner to make better shifts, I figured I may as well change the intake & exhaust also.

The Vararram CAI is interesting. Not decided on whether to do a CoW tune or the InTune. But then, what of the exhaust? Is there a muffler which is comparable in sound to the OEM but with better flow? I don't mind a little more volume than stock. But I really don't care for loud.

Then too, am I making the correct assumption that the OEM mufflers are restrictive? Any thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cow tune. No mufflers are going to be quieter than stock and flow better.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Just mufflers are not going to give you power, regardless of what people think. Get a set of headers and real tun, have them firm up the shift points and make the throttle a little more linear. You will be good to roll then.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Mixxedupmedia
Intermediate

I drove a number of C6s with different exhausts and settled on the Corsa. Slightly louder than stock for sure, but not annoyingly so. With a gentle foot, you can roll through your neighborhood and not wake anyone up.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

From what I read....the LS2 can benefit more from an intake more than some, so that would not be a bad start. The Halltach 'killer B' and the Vararam will be the most that you hear about. The Killer B is the easier install.
The over axle stuff will gain you very little HP compared to the cost. Most guys that do that....do it for the noise, which you do not want. Headers will probably do the most, if you like the cost. You could do the complete Z06 exhaust, which you probably can find used. They are pretty good.
There are guys that done all the above and will chime in with their thoughts.
Good luck.
I would go with a street tune. Lots of guys can do that for you.
Larry
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixxedupmedia
I drove a number of C6s with different exhausts and settled on the Corsa. Slightly louder than stock for sure, but not annoyingly so. With a gentle foot, you can roll through your neighborhood and not wake anyone up.
touring?

they make 3 different sound levels
Old 03-06-2013, 02:07 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I suspect you need a lot more power to get to a point where the stock intake doesnt flow enough air. Remember, it is sized for worst cases scenario, where maybe you dont change the filter enough and get excsessive pressure drop and still can flow enough air to keep you running. With a clean filter, it has to be oversized a bit. Unless you are making serious changes, how much does aftermarket help?

as far as exhaust, there are lots of ways to skin that cat. I would suggest listening to various exhausts first, prior ot making an investment. you can fond guys posting their on you tube, around here, and other places. You can also find them at corvette clubs, car shows etc. take your time and get the one that appeals ot you.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

For maximum flow, take a look at Callaway mufflers - heres a 3rd party test by GM&HTP Magazine, reviewing our C5 mufflers. You can see the power gained:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...celebrate.html

I hope this helps
Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You are best served asking your questions to reliable and experienced tuners.

Yes, all engines are 'air pumps' and flow is crucial. But as you suspect, there are other factors just as crucial in making some additional ponies and torque - and it is increased torque you will notice first. That is why I say ask tuners - before you jump into purchasing parts that may contribute little for their cost.

Respectfully, all of us can tell you what we did or what we would do, but most of us are not working with this stuff daily.

Perhaps others can jump in here all tell you of their experience with a Tuner and provide recommendations that way?

Best of luck
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Using my 05 (A4) car as an example ...when it was "BONE STOCK" it ran 12.35 @ 112 mph... Since then I have done the following

1. Kooks 1 3/4 headers
2.Vararam CAI
3.FTI 2800 Converter
4.Ported Intake
5.Tune by "CARTEK"

I still have the OEM mufflers on the car and this past Sunday I ran 11.61 @ 118 MPH & my wife never knew I did anything to the car !! It drives & sounds like the day it was built... (well maybe a little louder because of the headers) but you'd never know it unless you were listening for it..

I'm like you HATE DRONE !!

Last edited by jpee; 03-06-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mixxedupmedia
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

For those who PM'd me for some data, here is info on C6 exhaust vs. Callaway, and a development chart from our similar, C5 exhaust:

Thank you for considering Callaway
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C6 Back pressure.xls.pdf (426.4 KB, 490 views)
File Type: pdf
PastedGraphic-1.pdf (24.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-07-2013, 12:58 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
You are best served asking your questions to reliable and experienced tuners.
Yes, best to ask someone who stands to gain money from the advice they give.

Get notified of new replies

To Are there mufflers w/ better flow than stock without being loud?

Quick Reply: Are there mufflers w/ better flow than stock without being loud?