C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Intake or Vararam snake charmer intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default K&N Intake or Vararam snake charmer intake?

Anyone tried both?

Which one is better for daily drivers?

thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 AM
tclhb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Vararam and didn't even install it. I sold it instead. Quality was that of a rough prototype. I went with Calaway since it is also a true cai.
The following users liked this post:
Jlang1 (08-25-2022)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

OEM is best because you won't really gain anything after the 400-500 you spend on the other items.I'd personally go with VARARAM myself if i had to because it actually sucks in cooler outside air as opposed to being just a big filter that does nothing and possibly filters worse then your OEM does.You would get a very slight gain at speed (60+) mph with the VARARAM...1/10th of a second or so at the drag strip.Keep your oem though.Those are good for 436,505 and 638 respectively so what could really better?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
OEM is best because you won't really gain anything after the 400-500 you spend on the other items.I'd personally go with VARARAM myself if i had to because it actually sucks in cooler outside air as opposed to being just a big filter that does nothing and possibly filters worse then your OEM does.You would get a very slight gain at speed (60+) mph with the VARARAM...1/10th of a second or so at the drag strip.Keep your oem though.Those are good for 436,505 and 638 respectively so what could really better?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Jmelz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a vararam for my 05 vert. It was a bit of fun to install, but the quality was decent. Nothing like the threads I read about when it first came out where people struggled with the install and the bad quality design. I think I only paid like 280 for it too. Got it from maryland speed here on the forums.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^ performance gain?
only at 60mph plus?

thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

performance gain?
only at 60mph plus?

thanks
With a VARARAM,yup...maybe not exactly 60mph but VARARAM works best at speeds you go down the drag strip at,so I used 60 as a marker..The big filter,you get nothing.period.I still would recommend keeping your OEM unit. These other things are pretty much a waste of money for the prices they charge.At least,but a used one where you'll save 50% of original cost.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:46 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Biggie G
Anyone tried both?

Which one is better for daily drivers?

thanks
Between the two, definitely vararam since it draws cool ambient air. The ingesting standing water is HIGHLY unlikely with the VR while driving unless your are driving into some deep water.
If I run my car through a touchless high pressure car wash, I do turn the engine off just to be safe.(I'm sure I'm just being paranoid)

Last edited by brewcitygymratt; 03-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brewcitygymratt
Between the two, definitely vararam since it draws cool ambient air. The ingesting standing water is HIGHLY unlikely with the VR while driving unless your are driving into some deep water.
If I run my car through a touchless high pressure car wash, I do turn the engine off just to be safe.(I'm sure I'm just being paranoid)
You are because the amount of air entering the engine at idle is trivial.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Curtis A. Franz
You are because the amount of air entering the engine at idle is trivial.
I figured as much. I just remember a CF member whose idling c6 shut off while he was power washing it so just always turned it off.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truth be known the short amount of time the air is exposed to heat under the hood before being ingested into the stock engine intake doesn't warm it one degree. This time of year hot outside air isn't a problem, and in the summer so-called "Cold-Air-Intakes" are sucking hot air in right above the hot, hot, hot asphalt paving where you can fry an egg in no time flat. So please tell me, where is the "cold air" coming from? "Cold Air Intakes" don't do anything. K&N filters use far less efficient 1950's technology and filter out far less abrasives than the advanced technology folded filter-paper air-cleaners that come on your Vette. So, like when I was young and we removed the air-cleaner altogether to gain horsepower, which it did for a short-time, six months latter your engine produced less horsepower than when you used the air-cleaner. No native that live in India actually believe in "snake charmers", only dumb American tourists. Save your money and don't buy either. And totally ignore "testimonies" from any "shade tree" or "catalog mechanics" who bought these type products, they are simply trying to justify having spent good money on aftermarket junk.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The Vararram is indeed a true CAI which is why I would choose it over other "big filters" which are called CAI's. However, I hear your comment about the OEM also. Which begs the question of whether aftermarket intakes and mufflers are even necessary considering that the corvette is already tweaked by design for performance. Thus my original question about the mufflers being overly restrictive.

My point is that I want to fix the lag in the paddle shifters which will necessitate a tuner. And I didn't know if there were any other minor replaceable parts which might enhance the tune. The operative word being "minor". I know that headers, full exhaust system, CAI and larger Throttle body will give me added performance. But at this point I don't want to do that...
Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

St. Jude Donor '13

The only inexpensive "minor mods"are CAI and ported tb which does improve throttle response. Having the A6 tcm tuned makes a big difference in the way the car drives/feels. The stock A6 tcm tune upshifts/downshifts are slow and mushy. The lag is really annoying.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Truth be known the short amount of time the air is exposed to heat under the hood before being ingested into the stock engine intake doesn't warm it one degree. and in the summer so-called "Cold-Air-Intakes" are sucking hot air in right above the hot, hot, hot asphalt paving where you can fry an egg in no time flat. So please tell me, where is the "cold air" coming from?
Good food for thought. I have noticed that the air intake is in front of the motor and in close proximity to the grill, though not a direct path like that found on the Z06 or wide body with their scoop. This has made me wonder of the necessity of a CAI for the Corvette, Certainly it is not necessary for the wide body. But I had wondered about the standard c6. Then too, I have not looked at the pathway from the grill to the OEM filter. Certainly can't be much obstruction there. I'll check. Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brewcitygymratt
Having the A6 tcm tuned makes a big difference in the way the car drives/feels. The stock A6 tcm tune upshifts/downshifts are slow and mushy. The lag is really annoying.
Yep. That's why its a priority to get this fixed What tune(r) are you using?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by J Vette
Yep. That's why its a priority to get this fixed What tune(r) are you using?
It has an ECS Efi live tcm tune on it but I just recently purchased hp tuners. ECM was Dyno tuned locally after a ported fast 102, long tube headers and catted x, vararam and 160 tstat. i did a dual bullet axleback and vmax ported tb after the tune. Waiting to hit the track in April.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

A drag racer will pay more than $500 to gain a tenth.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N Intake or Vararam snake charmer intake?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

My point is that I want to fix the lag in the paddle shifters which will necessitate a tuner. And I didn't know if there were any other minor replaceable parts which might enhance the tune. The operative word being "minor". I know that headers, full exhaust system, CAI and larger Throttle body will give me added performance. But at this point I don't want to do that...
Talk to CHUCK COW or ECS about tweaking your auto tranny.Trust me,either of those guys tune your tranny you won't need squat to make it go and eliminate the lag.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Talk to CHUCK COW or ECS about tweaking your auto tranny.Trust me,either of those guys tune your tranny you won't need squat to make it go and eliminate the lag.
Pardon my ignorance but who or what is "ECS"? Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thanks!

Thanks.... YES, I've got a great way to get the most out of your Vette no matter where you live.

Give me a call and I'll get you set up right!
914-332-0049

Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: K&N Intake or Vararam snake charmer intake?