C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Speed Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car to the stealership to have the brakes done. It came back with a vibration similar to the OP's. Took it back and they "noticed" that a wheel was bent. Hmm... I wonder how that happened while it was in your care?

I ended up replacing the wheels and the vibration went away.

FWIW.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Thingy = spigot ring
Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
poppadom
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm back. Lots of additional info since I was last on the forum. I took the vehicle back to the performance shop and they verified that the retainer clips had in fact been removed. Still have a slight vibration so I'll either live with it or put my OEM wheels back on. One thing they did say was that perhaps a wheel bearing is going but at this stage too soon to isolate. Again I'll drive the hell out of it before my warranty expires. I really like my new wheels so maybe I'll just pray that after I put a few hundred miles on the tires it will smooth out. Wishful thinking on my part I'm afraid. Thank you all for the info and if I get this resolved I'll be back on.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Delbert
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Another quick question on the Tinnerman clips? I am assuming they would be on both the front and rear wheels, is this correct? I was wanting verification as I planned to pull the wheels to check and thought it would be wise to check on the rear as well. Thanks again......
Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

haven't looked at the rears, but yes, I'd guess on rear wheels as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Delbert
Bill

No sir, I didn't receive any e mail reply, but I am confident my question was answered here on the forum. I did see the link to the Tinnerman
clips which was informative. At least, then, I knew what to look for.
We've had a stretch of nasty weather since I installed the wheels last week, so I am waiting for a bit of a warmup to pull the car out of the garage and inspect for the clips and then retorque the lug nuts.
Thank you for your help.

Delbert
wow, you must think I'm a real dip wad for not responding to your email. I'll resend; it has a couple pics in it.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:31 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by poppadom
I'm back. Lots of additional info since I was last on the forum. I took the vehicle back to the performance shop and they verified that the retainer clips had in fact been removed. Still have a slight vibration so I'll either live with it or put my OEM wheels back on. One thing they did say was that perhaps a wheel bearing is going but at this stage too soon to isolate. Again I'll drive the hell out of it before my warranty expires. I really like my new wheels so maybe I'll just pray that after I put a few hundred miles on the tires it will smooth out. Wishful thinking on my part I'm afraid. Thank you all for the info and if I get this resolved I'll be back on.

If it didn't vibrate before the new wheels and it vibrates now, the bearings didn't change did they? Something is wrong with the "round" of the tires (if new) or the run-out of the wheels, or the balance of a tire/wheel combo. If the tinnermans are all gone, one of the previous thoughts is the issue. Got any friends with a Vette? Swap wheels and test drive it. Do the fronts, if no joy, do the rears. That sure as hell will prove wheels/tires or bearings AND IT WON'T COST ANYTHING.

Oh, another thing. New tires don't need to be driven to flatten them out. They are supposed to be round from the gitgo!

Elmer
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Delbert
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
wow, you must think I'm a real dip wad for not responding to your email. I'll resend; it has a couple pics in it.
Not at all, I appreciate all your help right here on the board. I had only assumed the answer came here on the board and that is why you did not respond personally. I'd love to see the pictures!! Thank you again for all your help.

Delbert
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Delbert
Instructor

Pulled my wheels today and the Tinnerman clips were removed by the installers, so that is not the problem. I did notice the lugs were "extremely" tight when loosening. I torqued the lugs to 100 lbs with a torque wrench on all four wheels. Took it out for a spin and the vibration is even less now, so I am assuming the torque of the lugs was a contributing factor with the possibility of a slight imbalance.

For those interested, I was sent a link to a prior thread concerning the tinnerman clips which has some excellent photos and information that may be referenced here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571722100-post6.html

Quick Reply: High Speed Vibration