C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Steve2150
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GMPP Question

If you buy the 84/70000 at time of sale you get the 70000 plus delivery mileage. Now if you buy it after 11 months does the 84 months get added on the 11 months and also does the mileage at the time get added tomthe 70000, in other words if so does not pay to buy it at time of sale if the additional 84/70000 starts then. I live in florida so choices of where to buy limited.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Yup, you're right.

The theory behind buying it at time of original purchase is that is when it is cheapest but you get less actual additional coverage.

Many, maybe most, wait until just before the factory 3/36 runs out. I've never done the research but I suppose you could buy an add'l 4/48 at that time and pay about the same as you would have if you bought the 7/70 add'l at time of purchase but end up with basically the same "extended" coverage.

Maybe someone will chime it who does know the cost breakdowns.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,372 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

As Rick said, the GMPP months/miles get added onto whatever the car had on the day you purchased the GMPP. That's both good and bad; you will get more (maybe a lot more) coverage than the numbers suggest, but you are also buying duplicate coverage for part of your period.

There is NO advantage to buying GMPP immediately unless it's a used CPO car; for everyone else the price/coverage only change when you hit 12 months OR 12k miles, again when you hit 24 months OR 24k miles, and when you hit 36 months OR 36k miles then you can't buy it at all.

Since you are in Florida and screwed by your state insurance commission, you must buy from a Florida dealer and I'm not even sure if they can deal on the price.

Either way, get a list of the various combinations of months/miles/deductibles/prices, for the 3 different times of purchase. The longer you wait, the higher the price and the shorter coverage you can buy.
For most people, the best deal is to buy just before you hit the 36 months OR 36k miles. But if you plan to keep it for a long time and put on a lot of miles, you may be better off to buy within the first 12/12 because the price is much lower. That's how it worked out for us, significantly cheaper to buy at 8 months/11,900 miles. But not for most people.

Get the numbers, study the numbers, make an informed decision.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 03-01-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think you can get the 3 bids/prices from diff. dealers and compare what it would be now for say 72 mos., or later. The thing is, even tho you're in FL, I would try several if not more dealers no matter where they are located in FL to see if anyone is giving a better price. There is no set price for this insurance/extended service plan in the other 49 states (altho that could be wrong for FL).

One thing you do need to know is your car's "in-service date" which is not necessarily the day it was sold.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 AM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealers in the State of Florida are told to sell their GMPP's at MSRP per GMPP pricing, well guess what IT IS NOT HAPPENING. They know that you have to buy from them in Florida so most are doubling the price if not tripling the price. I have lost 27.8% of my business due to this coming about and I have over 2,000 very upset good customers and friends just wanting to rush the capital or whatever. Well they choose to live there so now it is coming back to haunt them. My great customers call me almost daily for suggestions and more than that pricing and the best so far has been double retail. More than one has told me they are going to the Insurance Commissioner and complain.

GMPP is also down over 70% for sales in the State of Florida so how do you think they feel.

Here is a good scenerio for you, You pay $3000 for a $1500 plan and you cancel within 60 days (full refund from GMPP) and they send you $1500 because the Florida dealer has to report the sale at MSRP and he then pockets the $1500 so do you think he is going to give you back his $1500 extra profit. I know this because I have spoken with a high up in GMPP and was told this, if they submit over retail the plan will be rejected by GMPP.

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP Question

Quick Reply: GMPP Question