C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn quit working

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:01 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horn quit working

about 3 days ago I went to honk at a friend passing by and no sound came out. I rarely use my horn so I am unsure how long it has not worked I would say a couple weeks tops. The horn on the steering wheel doesnt work, pressing the panic button on the FOB no sound comes out either. With the hood popped and pressing the FOB you can hear the relay making a click in the engine bay but just produces no sound. I check the fuse in the engine bay fuse box and it looks to be good.

any ideas how this could happen or what I can do to fix it. If it is an expensive fix I may not even fix it because I rarely use it and when I need it my exhaust serves as my "you pissed me off" horn haha

Is there another fuse to check or is the only explanation the horn unit itself. How hard is it to fix?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

you could switch horn relay #34 with something like windshield washer #36. switch fuse #2 with another same size.

i cant think the horns became unplugged, let alone even reach in to verify or check.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Jorgensen (08-02-2021)
Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
you could switch horn relay #34 with something like windshield washer #36. switch fuse #2 with another same size.

i cant think the horns became unplugged, let alone even reach in to verify or check.
Oh okay, Ill try switching the relay and fuse with another to see if that fixes the issue. If it does not, would it have to be the horn unit? Is it easy to reach in from either above or below to check to see if it came unplugged or something like that, or does it require alot of things to be taken apart to get access to it?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

I just tried switching the relay and fuse like you said and its still doing the same thing. You can hear the relay clicking when you press the panic button but no sound from the horn still.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1quickTXVette
I just tried switching the relay and fuse like you said and its still doing the same thing. You can hear the relay clicking when you press the panic button but no sound from the horn still.
well, at this point i'd say your now to the horn connections and horns themselves.

i've seen removing and checking them and seems they did it from underneath, and they laughed about tearing their hands all up.. lol
i think they were removing the horn bracket so maybe wont be quite as hard.

i'll let others chime in, i;ve never tried to remove/check them personally
Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Oh okay well thanks for the suggestion Dave! Hopefully someone will chime in with a location and how to go about doing it!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 229 Likes on 164 Posts

I would test the horn directly from the battery... But I am betting that is not your problem.
I would also test to see if the horn and relay are getting power and ground.

Do your headlights and windshield washer work 100% of the time?

I found a half dozen wires in my fuse block highly corroded and the headlight and washer were severed.
About an hour with .20 guage copper wire and I was able to replace all of the questionable copper.
All of my electronics now work again.

This is what the inside of the fuse block looks like. There are two sides.
If any copper is black, you might want to replace.
You can do this for around 10.00 or a new fuse block is close to 500.00.

This picture is the bottom view from before. You can see some corroded wires.

Last edited by MikeERWNC; 02-28-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Check the wiring to the actual speaker. This happened to me and an animal was the culprit.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My friend had the same problem with her vette. A month later her car wouldn't start. As soon as she put a new battery in the car her horn started working again.
Worth a shot. Let us know

Lisa
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

THe horn fuse is related to the Alarm, power locks and Service Charging System warning.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Thanks for the suggestions guys and gal!
My wipers and lights work without problem the only thing I have noticed to be not working is just the horn. I am hoping the wire harness from the horn simply came unplugged or something of that nature. After work today I am going to get under there and see if I can locate the issue. What is the best way to go about it? Jack the from up and reach in from the bottom? Or what pieces need to be taken apart to gain access?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Do jack up the car using the manual the first time.
You can damage the car if you do it wrong.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

About 2 year's ago the horn stopped working on my 06. Opened the hood and could see that the lead had come off. Just reached down in there and clipped it back on and it has been fine ever since. No jacking needed.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Okay I just finished my attempt at fixing the issue. I took off the piece that is underneath the fog light. I reached in and tried to feel the connector and it seemed to be clipped together. My car is supercharged and has a big tube right where that opening is so my work room was limited. The horn still isn't working but I couldn't really check into it all that much. I could only really check that one connector. Any other ideas guys?! I don't even know how I would get to it if the horn itself needs to be changed.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but if one of the horns went out then wouldn't the other one still be working but would just sound different. I find it strange that both quit at the same time.

Get notified of new replies

To Horn quit working

Quick Reply: Horn quit working