C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro-fitting OEM to After-market..Is this a good/bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Retro-fitting OEM to After-market..Is this a good/bad idea

History..
2005 Corvette. Purchased with aftermarket pipes which has very bad drone effect. Posted pictures in earlier forum which helped me determined that I have cats to resonants (glass-packs) to straight pipes.
Straight pipes consist of someone cutting out the mufflers and replacing them with modified welded pieces.
Found local corvette owner who is willing to sell me his OEM 2006 mufflers/over-rear end pipes. See pictures.

Question:
To save money...
Can I keep both resonants (Pic 1).
Remove the straight pipes stuff in (Pic 2).
Remove the straight pipe stuff at the clamps in (pic 3)
Connect the OEM (over-end-pipes and muffler) (pic 4)

Will this mis-match effect the engine performance and/or cause back-pressure issues. Remember the resonants has some resistance, so will the mufflers too. Will this be a new problem.

This solution saves me money because I will not need to purchase a (x-pipe or H-pipe) if I use what is already there in addition with the used OEM stuff.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Reggied; 02-25-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Keep the resonators and replace the straight pipe rear. Of the clamps with the axle over and muffler set up.

Might need some work at the rear clamp end of the H pipe to mate up with the axle over set up.

Not sure I completely understand the question but you also might think about acquiring an H pipe which starts just below the cats and ends at the axle over pipe, then the two should mate nicely.

Last edited by Boomer111; 02-25-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Keep the resonators and replace the straight pipe rear. Of the clamps with the axle over and muffler set up.

Might need some work at the rear clamp end of the H pipe to mate up with the axle over set up.

Not sure I completely understand the question but you also might think about acquiring an H pipe which starts just below the cats and ends at the axle over pipe, then the two should mate nicely.
If the current setup (pic 1) puts the clamps in the same location (pic 3) as the H pipes would be then maybe the over axle pipes might be a perfect fit. I am not sure if the over-axle will reach the new location with the current setup. H pipes will also be an additional cost. Will the old setup (pic 1) connected to (pic 4) add too much back pressure to the engine? A muffler/engine person might be able to comment....
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

You can mate your mid pipe (pic 1) to OEM mufflers but you won't know if they will fit together until you try. I don't think you will lose any performance using the mid pipe that you have with stock mufflers.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Reggie post in the regional section or in the parts for sale section and see if there are any forum members that will give you the full stock exhaust. Like I told you before many people give them away. Maybe you can find someone who has the full stock system to either give you a good price on it or even give it to you free of charge.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Reggie post in the regional section or in the parts for sale section and see if there are any forum members that will give you the full stock exhaust. Like I told you before many people give them away. Maybe you can find someone who has the full stock system to either give you a good price on it or even give it to you free of charge.
Will do

Get notified of new replies

To Retro-fitting OEM to After-market..Is this a good/bad idea

Quick Reply: Retro-fitting OEM to After-market..Is this a good/bad idea