C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
NCorvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd have much better results if you used the correct tools for the job.
Dynamat is used on panels to prevent or reduce panel vibration, which reduces some noise. It is not a sound deadener. If you want that, you need to use mass loaded vinyl, closed cell foam, or a combination.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NCorvette
Dynamat is used on panels to prevent or reduce panel vibration, which reduces some noise. It is not a sound deadener. If you want that, you need to use mass loaded vinyl, closed cell foam, or a combination.
Links to further info/discussion/threads, please?

I'm thinking of trying to quiet the interior on our 2009, and want to use the correct material for each section. Stock NPP exhaust, so usually no drone.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM
NCorvette
Advanced

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NCorvette
You are 100% correct.......
My problem is my system had no mufflers. I was running straight pipe. The only thing to fix my drone problem would be parking the car with the engine off.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some suggestions for fixing exhaust drone:
One possible fix is to install thicker-walled tubes that run from the catalytic converter to the tail-pipe. This can help because thicker tube can have a much lower frequency than thinner tubes do. Many times, this means that thicker steel tube may also put on a little more weight, but it may be all you need to solve the problem.
Another fix is to shorten the exhaust pipe. This works because certain frequencies are generated by the length of the exhaust pipe. If it matches the frequency that is coming from the engine, then it generates the drone. So, shortening the pipe may not allow the frequencies to match up. With a dual exhaust system, shortening one of the pipes has also been known to help.
There are also some aftermarket resonators that you can attach to your exhaust system.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Some suggestions for fixing exhaust drone:
One possible fix is to install thicker-walled tubes that run from the catalytic converter to the tail-pipe. This can help because thicker tube can have a much lower frequency than thinner tubes do. Many times, this means that thicker steel tube may also put on a little more weight, but it may be all you need to solve the problem.
Another fix is to shorten the exhaust pipe. This works because certain frequencies are generated by the length of the exhaust pipe. If it matches the frequency that is coming from the engine, then it generates the drone. So, shortening the pipe may not allow the frequencies to match up. With a dual exhaust system, shortening one of the pipes has also been known to help.
There are also some aftermarket resonators that you can attach to your exhaust system.
What? That has to be the dumbest reply trying to sound smart. The OP's drone is caused by the fact he is running straight pipe. No mufflers at all. Easiest way to fix, cut off the straight pipe and install mufflers. Any mufflers. He can throw on a pair of Magnaflow 14336 and call it a day. $180-$200, problem solved.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
What? That has to be the dumbest reply trying to sound smart. The OP's drone is caused by the fact he is running straight pipe. No mufflers at all. Easiest way to fix, cut off the straight pipe and install mufflers. Any mufflers. He can throw on a pair of Magnaflow 14336 and call it a day. $180-$200, problem solved.
Well, Jason, I was simply trying to be helpful, or at least offer "food for thought" to someone who obviously wasn't smart enough to investigate what the heck he was buying. Kind of like buying a G/S right?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Well, Jason, I was simply trying to be helpful, or at least offer "food for thought" to someone who obviously wasn't smart enough to investigate what the heck he was buying. Kind of like buying a G/S right?

I kept my mouth shut and just let you guys talk but now you are starting to get personal. I have not said anything negative or personal about you. I do not need to be smart enough (REGARDING MUFFLER SYSTEMS) if I have the money to find out. Stop trying to tear people down. THe problem regarding my exhaust is resolved.

I will show you how smart I am by detaching myself from this post.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reggied
I kept my mouth shut and just let you guys talk but now you are starting to get personal. I have not said anything negative or personal about you. I do not need to be smart enough (REGARDING MUFFLER SYSTEMS) if I have the money to find out. Stop trying to tear people down. THe problem regarding my exhaust is resolved.

I will show you how smart I am by detaching myself from this post.
Don't mind the resident village fool. We keep him around because he's good entertainment. Harmless really, being half retarded and all. No doubt you'll soon have him blocked. The rest of us here are generally pretty good for advice and whatnot. Like I said earlier, good luck with your new car and don't be afraid to ask/search if you need to know anything.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 AM
FREDOC
Intermediate

Reggied, sorry to hear about the crappy noise your experiencing. Here's my 2 cents... I often come across occupational noise exposure in my line of work and my first thought is your initial readings are not that bad. The "flat scale" low freq readings of 125Hz @102dB are equivalent to a modified measurement of 86dBA as compared to the OSHA Standard of 90 dBA noise exposure as an 8hr-time weighted average. However, the unwanted noise or drone is a nuisance! The only way to reduce the nuisance noise (aka, vibration) is apply treatment to: 1) source of the noise (exhaust pipe); OR 2) path of transmission between the source (exhaust pipe) & the hearer (you); OR 3) receiver (you). IMO, noise/vibration control products mentioned so far from previous replies are useful, but won't bring down levels significantly. Noise potentially can be reduced by 25% or up to 10dBA less. The practical approach should be to reinstall the muffler. And the least approach is to cruise around with earplugs, LOL. I agree when you mentioned that the entire car is resonating when on the road-this is the challenge! Good luck. -FC
Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

This morning I installed the OEM system..You are correct. These babbies are quiet. I will be drilling the 3/4 holes to bass it up just a little bit.
Attached Images    
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Good job reggie I'm glad everything worked out for you man. If you ever have any other questions you have my number.

Sal
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Modified OEM mufflers with 3/4 hole solution. These pipes sound GREAT. The muscle sound is there with no DRONE effects.
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggied
This weekend I drove from GA. to IL.
Newly purchased 2005 Corvette "Road Trip".
My improvements before trip
Peel & Seal, 3 layers in rear cabin, 1 layer on both wheel wells, and 1 layer behind both seat.
The rear cabin was loaded with 2 soft-shell-suitcases, and 3 thick winter coats. The Peel & Seal plus the suitcases and coats should be more than needed to damped my exhaust drove noise problems.

I used a Bruel & Kjaer Hand-held Analyzer Type 2250 (This device is used to measure sound levels at different frequencies in db)
At cruising speed of 70 to 80 mph I measured the following.

40Hz at 102db
125hz at 102db

40hz and 125hz are low frequencies. 96db in low freq in very loud.
I am getting readings of these freqs at 102db. THis is not GOOD to the body.

Frequencies this low can only be filtered by using a large solid mass that will not resonate.
Most filter materials used will only help with the higher frequencies and road noise. My corvette is like a giant sub-woofer mounted on rubber tires. Everything in the car is resonating at these freqs. Plus the shape of the rear window amplifies the effects
Some components of low freq can not be heard by the human ear but can still cause some damage to your ears if exposed too long. My car caused my "ear to jaw" to hurt after 6 hours of driving...I am only 49 year of age.

The exhaust system in my car is "engine to cats to resonators to straight pipe". TOO LOUD.

Solution for me....Going back to OEM.
This is why I returned to stock and sold my loud system for half price.

Quick Reply: MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials