C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about PLASTIDIPPING my whole car a different color....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I don't understand it (I'm over 20 years old) and would never consider doing it to mine, but if it works for you go for it.

That orange Audi is just plain butt ugly.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

To each his own, but there is no way I would ever do such a thing to a nice car.

Sounds like some of you guys should have bought Rat Rods (which are way cool too) vs a Vette
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by JKbride
To each his own, but there is no way I would ever do such a thing to a nice car.

Sounds like some of you guys should have bought Rat Rods (which are way cool too) vs a Vette
Well...I'm over 60..LOL way over and I would do it...IN fact I would REALLY consider doing it. I have a Black Vert with a custom two toned black n cashmere interior. I would love to do the matte white. It is something that you do yourself or do you need a shop to do? I imagine there is a lot of wrapping and covering involved. And, does it really last? Is there something online that explains the process?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM
JChastain
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look it up on YouTube. I saw a guy who did a g35 and he couldn't get it to peel off. Took a pressure washer to it and the paint and all came off!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

They've been doing this for a while.

https://www.dipyourcar.com
Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C5kid
They've been doing this for a while.

https://www.dipyourcar.com
That's the link!

I've seen a lot of high end cars get dipped. There are some on that link which is more of a tutorial on how its done and then there are a lot of people that uploaded their own personal dip videos. Doesn't look too hard.

I'm set on satin white now. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and do it. Leave the top of the car (roof and halo) gloss black and just do the rest of the car satin white.

This is the first I've heard of those horror stories. From everything I've read and seen on it, it looks like it comes right off with no damage. I don't know what pressure washer he used but if it blasted the original paint and all off, I'd bet he had issues before he started.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
chimazo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I've used it for emblems, it would peel off with no issues. The thicker the coat, the easier it comes off. The sections where the paint is visible below were initially covered with 'dip, not masked, and the stuff came off without difficulty, leaving no residue. Messing around with wife's car before using it on mine!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah bro Rock On! Do it!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Good lord that's ugly as sin lol
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

My concern would be the longer it stays on if it would have a bad affect on the paint. I could see doing an emblem and some getting on the paint and you take it right off and the paint is ok. But say after 6 months or more Im pretty sure it will degrade the paint under it. Basically your are going to have to tape the car just like painting it and to include all the rubber seals and all. The prep will be most of the job. Why not just paint it the color you want? And resale will be a bitch if you do. I would get a painted piece of a car thats the same material as the vette and dip it and wait a few months with it out in the weather and then try and take it off and see how it looks underneath.

I have read that it fades too and road debrie can mess with it too. Is this a temp thing or more perm?

Last edited by S'vette; 02-23-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

are there any C6's that have been dipped?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Radian
Heel & Toe

Default Dipped vettes

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
are there any C6's that have been dipped?
Yes..

Here....
http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/sho...light=corvette

http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/sho...er+Green+Vette

Enjoy..

Radian

Last edited by Radian; 03-01-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM
FRChilln
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I thinking Sat White would look the best and depending on your skills with PlastiDip may be the most forgiving color. Be sure to post up some pix when she's done.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Ozarkwoods
Racer

Satin White, it's a big change from your black go good with your wheels, and a color you would not get sick of quickly.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 AM
philip_g
Drifting

Originally Posted by FRChilln
I thinking Sat White would look the best and depending on your skills with PlastiDip may be the most forgiving color. Be sure to post up some pix when she's done.
that's a good idea.
I like white anyway, I would do it for something different and for paint protection. I'd worry about it pulling my clear bra off and general difficulty of peeling it off cleanly without leaving little bits behind

Last edited by philip_g; 03-01-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM
RPI Designs
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16 -'17

I'd love to see this!

4000+ C5/C6/C7 Parts & accessories - Forum members get 10% off with SS2007 coupon at checkout

Like us on www.facebook.com/rpidesigns and you might win $100.

Our brand new C7 Corvette Z06 Style Side Skirts come painted in Carbon Flash Metallic, see them here!

email: rpi.designs.customerservice@gmail.com Web: www.rpidesigns.com

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about PLASTIDIPPING my whole car a different color....

Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

That is one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard,save that crap for the ricer crowd,not on a Corvette.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
That is one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard,save that crap for the ricer crowd,not on a Corvette.

its just a tend,,,, that's all...it will be gone before you know it,,,then somebody else will show up with a buss on how to take that stuff off...

i will say thogh...it doesnt look bad in some cars... pretty neat,,,i think what i like is the technology on paint systems,,just awesome that ppl can repair paint and put back to oem their cars in their own garage... that's is amazing...
Old 03-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Radian
Heel & Toe

Default Ricer? Trend?

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Originally Posted by veloz
its just a tend,,,, that's all...it will be gone before you know it,,,then somebody else will show up with a buss on how to take that stuff off...

i will say thogh...it doesnt look bad in some cars... pretty neat,,,i think what i like is the technology on paint systems,,just awesome that ppl can repair paint and put back to oem their cars in their own garage... that's is amazing...

Let me see if I fully understand the mentality of these statements.

"Painting" your car in a color other then OEM is a "Trend"...
Last time I checked, car painting has been around for MANY decades and it has not 'gone before you know it'

The usage of a new paint technology that allows you to have new paint color options like "matte" colors instead of the age old "gloss" colors AND has the benefit that it can be a temporary allowing you to go back to OEM if you don't like it...... That's "Ricer?"

Or is it the fact that this new painting technique allows us to paint our own cars in a "DIY" fashion.... Is that "Ricer?"

Someone asked why you don't hear more about this here on the Corvette forum... It might be because of members who are quick to put down other members who are trying new things and opening up new options in how our corvettes can be enjoyed.

How about considering sitting back and watching. Seeing what new things Corvette owners can do. Sure some of it may not be in line with YOUR tastes and opinions of what looks good, but that does not mean you should sound off negatively to other's opinions and desires.

Personally I'm looking very forward to seeing progress on this. As a matter of fact, after seeing a matte white and a satin white painted car, I'm very much liking the idea of painting my own C6 that way. AND I very comforted in knowing that I can do it myself, and if I don't like the results... I can peel it off.

Originally Posted by Ozarkwoods
Satin White, it's a big change from your black go good with your wheels, and a color you would not get sick of quickly.
Ozarkwoods Thanks for posting pics of your white vette on line. It appears "satin" in those pictures. I think it looks excellent that way and agree with you is ' a color you would not get sick of quickly.'

Radian

Last edited by Radian; 03-02-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about PLASTIDIPPING my whole car a different color....