C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Plus

Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
vettenut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KY Events Coordinator

Default Battery Tender Plus

We lost power for about four hours. When it cam back on I noticed the Battery Tender had a solid Red light and a blinking Green light. How could the Corvette battery discharge during a power outage?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenut
We lost power for about four hours. When it cam back on I noticed the Battery Tender had a solid Red light and a blinking Green light. How could the Corvette battery discharge during a power outage?
See Battery Tender info below - IMHO your battery may have lost a couple small % during the non charging period and the Tender is just filling it 100%. I would be surprise if the Green Light does not return to solid green in just a very short time.

"GREEN FLASHING - When the green light is flashing, and
the red light is on, the battery is greater than 80% charged and may
be removed from the charger and used if necessary. Leave the
battery on charge until the green light is solid whenever possible.
Once the green light begins to flash, it will remain flashing until the
battery charger output current drops below the optimum recharge
threshold, or until the absorption timer expires."
Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Mine does that even when I unplug it for just a couple minutes. I don't think it keeps the float charge at 100%, but something less than that, so when it gets interrupted it reverts back to a 100% charge initially. That's only what I think based on experience, don't know for sure.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

With battery tender hooked up and showing the constant green light, all I have to do is open the door for a few seconds, and it loses some charge. My guess is that the battery tender is so sensitive, that it detects even the slightest change in battery charge.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some battery tenders because of there electronic circuitry design if left hooked up to a battery and not plugged into a wall socket, or not receiving any electricity because of a power outage. Will discharge the battery it's hooked up to.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Z06pete
Some battery tenders because of there electronic circuitry design if left hooked up to a battery and not plugged into a wall socket, or not receiving any electricity because of a power outage. Will discharge the battery it's hooked up to.
Whaaaaa?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
Whaaaaa?
Electrical engineer stuff hard to understand huh?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Electrical engineer stuff hard to understand huh?
Supporting data I could understand but unsubstantiated opinions, no.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
With battery tender hooked up and showing the constant green light, all I have to do is open the door for a few seconds, and it loses some charge. My guess is that the battery tender is so sensitive, that it detects even the slightest change in battery charge.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

That's correct. My tender has a warning sticker on the side of the unit that basically says if you unplug the unit, or the electricity goes out, the tender will procede to suck all the juice out of a perfectly good battery...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08

I observe the same...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

A tender keeps a surface charge on a battery at about 13.2 to 13.5 volts. As soon as the tender is removed or loses power, the battery starts to dissipate the surface charge and return to its' resting voltage of about 12.8 volts. It will always take a certain amount of time to come back up to the higher voltage, and that is when the light changes color or stops blinking etc...it varies by the brand of tender...mine goes solid. When the door is opened, the load on the battery is many amps...at least one per light bulb plus computer etc...this will rapidly pull the voltage down as it is much more load than the tender can offset.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Silverblue
That's correct. My tender has a warning sticker on the side of the unit that basically says if you unplug the unit, or the electricity goes out, the tender will procede to suck all the juice out of a perfectly good battery...
Want does that sticker actually say? Having trouble with something that has no power source and should not complete any electrical circuit or cause a short that would drain a battery and I've used Deltran battery tenders for years with no such experience.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worry that when unplugged, my tender drains power while still connected to the battery. You'd of have the same effect during the outage.

Meanwhile, with the tender connected an plugged in I get a red light for several minutes on the tender after just starting the car up and shutting it down.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender Plus

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Tender Plus