C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 Shock noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:07 PM
shifting6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F55 Shock noise

Hi all, I have a 2006 C6 base with F55 selective ride suspension and 19000 miles. I've noticed when I am in Tour mode, I can hear a slight clunk / knock sound while going slow and hitting bumps. When in Sport mode the sound is there, but very slight compared to Tour mode and you really have to listen for it. Anyone else have this problem? The things I know is NOT causing the problem:
Sway bar end links (new and tight)
Axle spines (cleaned and greased)
Shock mounting bolts (torqued)
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

double - no triple -check the end links -- I swore my C5 end links were tight and they made a noise like yours -- more tightening fixed it.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:19 PM
shifting6
Intermediate

Thanks... I've done that and I read that before tackling it, so I bought all 4 new revised end links and tightened them very tight! The funny thing is it only does it in Tour mode. The clunk / knock is like a switch on and off between the two selective ride modes... It makes me believe it can only be the shocks themselves, but I would think there would be more complaints or at least talk about a known issue with the shocks making noise in tour mode... Don't get me wrong, its not a BAD or LOUD clunk, just enough for me to chase it.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 33,000 miles on my '09 with the F55 suspension and the original tie rods with no noises, and I leave it in tour mode all the time. But certainly from your description it sounds like your noise coud be shock absorber related. Any sign of shock absorder fluid leakage? Sounds like a visit to your dealer is in order. Keep us informed, F55 shock failure is rare and ususlly related to lowering of the car by the owner.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM
shifting6
Intermediate

The car is completely stock and hasn't been lowered. There is also no leakage from the shocks and the selective ride works exactly as it should. Just has the noise in tour mode. Again, it is only a slight clunking when hitting bumps, but I'm sure other vette owers are as picky as I am when it comes to nosies. I hope someone can claim to have this issue as well?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM
wera32
Racer

I sometimes hear a clunk from the rear of the car at parking lot speeds. I'm always in tour mode unless I've forgotten to switch it back from sport. It's infrequent and I haven't been too concerned about it...................yet.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

I've got an 06 with about 53k miles and have never noticed this noise, also stays in tour most of the time.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
shifting6
Intermediate

Thanks guys... if anyone thinks about it, try turning your radio down and switch between the two modes on a bumpy road... It's bugging me enough to go test drive one just to see if I hear it on a different car.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:57 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

mine's an 05 wth 62k miles -- have never noticed that sound but I'll experiement as you suggested (I keep mine in sport 95% of the time)
Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Radio, I,ve owned this car since Jan 06 & have listened to the radio for less than an hour over that time. ESP since adding the dual mode z06 mufflers. Always too busy enjoying the car. Miles of smiles!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shifting6
Thanks guys... if anyone thinks about it, try turning your radio down and switch between the two modes on a bumpy road... It's bugging me enough to go test drive one just to see if I hear it on a different car.
I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar issue on my 2008. It is noticable at low speeds turning on to an incline or decline when the car is in a slight twist. Seems to be right under my feet on the drivers side. The front and rear left shocks were damp, I wiped them down. The dealer says it is the shock but at $1200 each I am looking at options. I posted another thread on the tech forum, but wondering what you have found out.

Thanks,
Kenneth
Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by TX-Techman
I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar issue on my 2008. It is noticable at low speeds turning on to an incline or decline when the car is in a slight twist. Seems to be right under my feet on the drivers side. The front and rear left shocks were damp, I wiped them down. The dealer says it is the shock but at $1200 each I am looking at options. I posted another thread on the tech forum, but wondering what you have found out.

Thanks,
Kenneth
New cost between $282 and $564 on the popular auction site. Plus 30 minutes labor. Your dealer sees $$$$ when you walk in the door.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 AM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
New cost between $282 and $564 on the popular auction site. Plus 30 minutes labor. Your dealer sees $$$$ when you walk in the door.
I did see the shocks for less, however with the service life these have had I am not sure I want to spend $1000 for the 2 that are seaping. I can go to Bilstiens for around $550 for all four and most likely never have another problem.

If I knew that they would last 100K plus I would have no issue, but that does not seem to be the case.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I did see the shocks for less, however with the service life these have had I am not sure I want to spend $1000 for the 2 that are seaping. I can go to Bilstiens for around $550 for all four and most likely never have another problem.

If I knew that they would last 100K plus I would have no issue, but that does not seem to be the case.
If your current shocks are operating correctly, there is no need to replace them. Any noise you hear is most likely coming from the sway bar end links. Change them first (~$100 for 4 plus 1 hour of your time) before you even think about spending any money/time dealing with shocks.

117K on my F55 equipped '08 and the shocks are still fine, but I'm on the 4th set of end links.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Wipe down the shocks and then see if you can pick up the towel/rag with a magnet.

Confirm the shocks are leaking and that they aren't just "wet" from something else.

If you replace them with aftermarket shocks, you will need the 'modules' that trick the computer into thinking they are still there.

I'm with HOXXOH on checking/replacing the end links and continue driving the car until the F55 shocks actually fail.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Wipe down the shocks and then see if you can pick up the towel/rag with a magnet.

Confirm the shocks are leaking and that they aren't just "wet" from something else.

If you replace them with aftermarket shocks, you will need the 'modules' that trick the computer into thinking they are still there.

I'm with HOXXOH on checking/replacing the end links and continue driving the car until the F55 shocks actually fail.
That is a good plan, I wiped them down the other day so will check to see if they are wet again. Is there any other way to test these shocks? I am thinking of pulling them and trying to test them off the car. I believe the left front is making noise, but should be able to tell with it off the car. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:22 AM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had this same problem with my '05 at 29,000 miles. It probably started around 25K. It was the right front.
Conclusion: both front shocks leaking and bad. Rears would soon be the same......
This, coupled with another problem, convinced me to part with it.
-
Bought a '11 (with mag shocks) and with 5K miles on it.
Now pay attention:
At 7K miles, I had the oil changed prior to winter storage. And BOTH rear shocks were bad, and the fronts showed some bad signs also.
GM replaced the rear shocks.....then it went into storage for the winter, and a month after it came out of storage.......BAM!
One of the new shocks was bad and replaced again!
-
I wonder who supplies these things to GM ???

Get notified of new replies

To F55 Shock noise

Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 AM
TX-Techman
Racer

I actaully pulled my fronts off tonight and inspected them before going forward with R&R or switching to standard shocks.

What I found is that the top of the shocks under the cover are dry as a bone and do not have any play or noticable damage. It takes some muscle to compress the shocks and they both seem about the same and they both also extend at the same rate when they are compressed and let free. The rubber bushings look new, the outside of the shocks did have something one them, but it looked more like brake dust with maybe a little oil, it was black and wiped off easily. It was not magnetic at all either.

I torqued everything back to spec and checked some of the other fasteners, some were loose. I also swapped sides with the shocks to see if the pop moves, but I really do not think the shocks are the issue. I suspect something loose.

Does anyone know of a better way to test these type shocks. I really want to keep the F55 option if possible. Some of the post I have seen make me wonder if some are being replaced prematurally
Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 AM
roger06vert
Cruising

Default f55 problem

I have an 06 convertible with the f55 suspension, Just developed a hard ride from left front, I suspect the shock absorber but it could also be other issues. My question is, does the shock failure result in a very hard ride. It feels like the suspension is frozen. Tried pressing down on fender and got no suspension travel. So is there a way to test these shocks?
Old 09-07-2014, 01:23 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

That is a good plan, I wiped them down the other day so will check to see if they are wet again. Is there any other way to test these shocks? I am thinking of pulling them and trying to test them off the car. I believe the left front is making noise, but should be able to tell with it off the car. Any info will be appreciated.
take them out and compress the rod... if it comes out, you're good.

if not? then you know. i had TWO blown F55 shocks when i got my new ones.. i knew they were bad because all four were leaking. What a difference in the ride.

Quick Reply: F55 Shock noise