C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Major gas leak/tank!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Default HELP! Major gas leak/tank!

I always fill the car half way then it'll go to empty then ill fill half way again. Today I decided to start a new system of filling up each time, then running it to the warning light. Well when I got home I noticed a large gas puddle under the car and a strong gas smell. It is leaking pretty heavily from under the passenger side. Dripping from where I presume the gas tank is! Any ideas?!

I've read an amp mounted behind the passenger seat can puncture the tank? I just mounted an amp a few months ago. But today was the first time I've filled up completely. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:28 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Seems like you might have punctured the passenger side tank. There is nothing protecting it other than the metal plates on the bottom, however I'd like to think if this were the case you'd be seeing a cel for an evap code.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
Seems like you might have punctured the passenger side tank. There is nothing protecting it other than the metal plates on the bottom, however I'd like to think if this were the case you'd be seeing a cel for an evap code.
probably the answer.

i also read someone with the same sorta problem, actually gas on the garage floor, seems on passenger side. it was a she.. she had dealership work on it, her husband worked there (if i remember right).
they figured it out and it was not caused by a puncture like you might have done. unfortunantly i dont remember the outcome and i did a quick search and i didnt find it.

maybe someone will remember who it was and the outcome. it happened in the last year.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Could a drill bit have punctured the fuel tank when mounting the amp?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
we zoom
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a gas leak on my 2004 C5. The dealer replaced it under warnaty. The plastic gas tank had cracked in a seam.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I always fill the car half way then it'll go to empty then ill fill half way again. Today I decided to start a new system of filling up each time, then running it to the warning light. Well when I got home I noticed a large gas puddle under the car and a strong gas smell. It is leaking pretty heavily from under the passenger side. Dripping from where I presume the gas tank is! Any ideas?!

I've read an amp mounted behind the passenger seat can puncture the tank? I just mounted an amp a few months ago. But today was the first time I've filled up completely. Thanks.
Wow that sux. It sounds like you may be in for a rt side tank replacement.

Most that mount an amp behind the seat use a piece of plywood and construction adhesive and screw into the plywood.. Never drill or screws into the panel as the gas tank sits just behind it. Good luck.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 02-16-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

In this photo the gas tank on the driver's side can be seen in the cutout behind what would be the rear wall behind the driver's seat. It is labelled as 25. The passenger's side tank is in the same location on the other side. It is less than an inch from the back of that wall to the side of the gas tank. Do you think you drilled in to it?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

this is why you are supposed to glue a board behind the carpet and then screw amp into the board....
Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Well fellas, it seems as though I did drill into the tank when mounting the amp. The rear carpet behind the passenger seat and the floor carpet were soaked in gasoline. Both pieces of carpet came out today, the amp and seat came out as well. I cleaned everything as best as I could. I then blew some air into the holes and sure enough, air came out of the other hole. I drilled 4 holes, and only the top 2 punctured into the tank...got lucky. I only lost a 1/4 tank...would explain why I needed to really top off the car to see it leak.

Here are some pics:

The plan now is to repair the tank. I took the car to a local high end performance car shop that works on Corvettes and they said if I can open up the backing to reveal the holes, they have a special process to repair the tank. A plastic welder. I also plan to buy all new carpet and have everything vented really nice to get rid of the fumes. Car reeks of gas inside the cabin.

Last thing, Ive had a recurrent CEL on for the past few months (evap leak)...ever since I mounted the amp...must have been a clue.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Powertech
Supporting Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Well fellas, it seems as though I did drill into the tank when mounting the amp. The rear carpet behind the passenger seat and the floor carpet were soaked in gasoline. Both pieces of carpet came out today, the amp and seat came out as well. I cleaned everything as best as I could. I then blew some air into the holes and sure enough, air came out of the other hole. I drilled 4 holes, and only the top 2 punctured into the tank...got lucky. I only lost a 1/4 tank...would explain why I needed to really top off the car to see it leak.

Here are some pics:

The plan now is to repair the tank. I took the car to a local high end performance car shop that works on Corvettes and they said if I can open up the backing to reveal the holes, they have a special process to repair the tank. A plastic welder. I also plan to buy all new carpet and have everything vented really nice to get rid of the fumes. Car reeks of gas inside the cabin.

Last thing, Ive had a recurrent CEL on for the past few months (evap leak)...ever since I mounted the amp...must have been a clue.
Louis, I have a perfect set of C6 fuel tanks in stock. Not to say platic welding won't work but to go through the hassel of dropping the tank out of the car, well no need to do things twice. Shoot me a PM.

Joe

POWERTECH PERFORMANCE
3161 118th Ave N.
St. Petersburg, FL 33716
727-826-0802

Check Us Out & Like Us On Facebook Here---> POWERTECH PERFORMANCE Facebook Page
Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

The plan now is to repair the tank. I took the car to a local high end performance car shop that works on Corvettes and they said if I can open up the backing to reveal the holes, they have a special process to repair the tank.
Don't know how you plan to 'open up the backing', I'm guessing you could use a hole saw to gain access and then plastic weld the tank..... it seems like a good plan A....... a half *** plan considering the possibility of dissimilar plastics and the expansion and contraction properties of the tank, but it could work, and if not, plan B

Originally Posted by Powertech
Louis, I have a perfect set of C6 fuel tanks in stock. Not to say platic welding won't work but to go through the hassel of dropping the tank out of the car, well no need to do things twice. Shoot me a PM.

Joe
I agree with Joe, do the job right the first time and the only time.

BTW, you're not doing your fuel pump any favors by running the fuel so low. The surrounding fuel acts as a coolant for the pumps.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 1FUNC5
this is why you are supposed to glue a board behind the carpet and then screw amp into the board....
This .................
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sucks to see that- but hopefully others can learn from this costly mistake.

Just be glad you don't smoke.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Powertech
Supporting Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Using a hole saw to cut the sheet metal out behind the seat in a Z06? You certainly can't weld that shut so close to the tank. Was this your idea or the shop the car is at? You and I both know where "corner cutting" got you the last time.

Last edited by Powertech; 02-17-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Using a hole saw to cut the sheet metal out behind the seat in a Z06? You certainly can't weld that shut so close to the tank. Was this your idea or the shop the car is at? You and I both know where "corner cutting" got you the last time.
Only in his case, he was corner screwing ...................... Had to say it.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sorry for the damage but consider yourself lucky....leaking fuel could have created a total disaster (to both the car and your home). Others will learn from your post which is good. I hope the repair goes well.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Hey Joe, my car isn't at a shop currently, it's with me still. I drove it to a shop, but they only looked it over and sent me home until next week. I have a ton of things I need to ask/talk to you about. I've been trying to get in touch with you for the past 3 weeks. Id like to talk to you about the spare gas tank, but I can't send or receive PMs on the forum anymore...has to do with the previous situation. If I could have you call me on Monday that would be great. Have a great weekend.

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Only in his case, he was corner screwing ...................... Had to say it.
Joe doesn't mean what you think he means... And thats not very nice...This has been a stressful event for me, seeing my car just flooding gas like that isn't exactly part of the Corvette ownership experience.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Major gas leak/tank!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 479 Posts

The plan now is to repair the tank. I took the car to a local high end performance car shop that works on Corvettes and they said if I can open up the backing to reveal the holes...
The steel stamping behind the seatback is not a removable "backing," it's part of the frame itself, welded and seam-sealed in place. Tearing it up to simply to avoid dropping the tank is a non-option.

You _have_ to drop the tank. It's not that hard.

With the tank out, you can install nutserts or similar fasteners into the holes you drilled for the amplifier.

Also, reconsider your fueling regimen. If you never fill above 1/2 tank, the right tank is always empty. An always-empty tank appears to promote oxidation of the contacts on that tank's fuel level sender, which results in the dreaded "service fuel system" warning on the DIC.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I agree about the fueling regimen...if anything, I would just reverse the process. Fill it full and then re-fuel when it gets to half...if you want to just put in half a tank at a time. I have done things like this that I regret...best wishes to you.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Louis, I just bought an Ozone generator and if you are ever over this way (Orlando), it will remove all odors from the car. I just used it on my grand cherokee and it amazing, how good it worked.

Quick Reply: HELP! Major gas leak/tank!